Consolation NFL Games... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Consolation NFL Games...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Consolation NFL Games...

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:17 pm

I had a friend of mine e-mail me today saying he had a great idea for the playoffs.

He said, "Why not have the two teams that lose in the AFC/NFC Championship games play each other on the week between those games and the Super Bowl? Then we wouldn't have that horrible week in between the games that is so annoying every year."

Heck, at that point I said they should just do it like fantasy football and play for 8th through 3rd place...they could play all five of those lower place games on Saturday and Sunday.

Pro's for the NFL - huge amounts of revenue in having more games and no "week in between" game lull that I always hate. The fans would love having more games to see. I'm sure they can afford to give the teams a bonus for being in those games with the winners getting a bigger share and each higher place team getting a bigger check.

The only bad thing I could see happening would be possible injuries or players that really don't want to play since they would be playing for some "stupid consolation prize." I do think it would be great for the fans, though. :-)

What do you guys think? :-?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Justifiable_Sin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:32 pm

interesting idea....

but has about as much promise as Suzi Kolber doing her live sideline commentary in the buff next year
***A clear conscience is only a clear sign of a horrible memory***
Justifiable_Sin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: on foot...approximately 40 miles south of the mental institution

Postby South Park Cows » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:37 pm

It'd make sense for the NFL. Their only goal is making money. But the real problem is, will teams and players be that dedicated to a game after coming up short in a disappointing loss? I doubt it. And I personally wouldn't want to see a game that the teams put no effort into resulting in little action.
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:11 pm

no, what they SHOULD do is have the two worst teams play during that week -- but play for the number on pick or something. that would be fun.

of course, teams sometimes don't necessarily want that pick, so there you go.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:55 pm

The Eagles could own the "Tweener Bowl" then. Nice thought, bad idea, won't happen. They need to do something. I wish they'd just get rid of the extra week.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:35 pm

It sounds smart, btu it would never be done. I recommend filling in that week by making a DVD of Randy Moss's end zone celebrations, then watch it and laugh at it.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:37 pm

It's a fun idea, but lack of motivation would prevent the game from being interesting. Nobody cares who finished in 4th or 3rd. It's Super Bowl or bust.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:38 am

I'd like it just to have another week of football - but I doubt the players would go for it. They wouldn't really have anything to motivate them to excel at that point.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby eaglesfan » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:02 am

I actually like the idea of playing for the pick.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:41 am

Eaglesfan wrote:I actually like the idea of playing for the pick.

Yeah, if they turned the draft order around for the playoff teams and made it so you had to win to get a higher selection, it would slightly help, but I'm sure the players don't want to put themselves through another game just to go up another rung on the draft board. :,-(

I hear what you're all saying. That's why I said that the players wouldn't want to "play for third place," especially in a tough sport like football. But, if the monetary incentives were high enough, maybe they would go for it... ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk