Droughns permission to seek trade - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Droughns permission to seek trade

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:48 pm

So am I the only one that thinks that Blaylock has what it takes to be a feature RB somewhere?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:42 am

USA Today/Denver Post is reporting the same thing:

Reuben Droughns asked the Broncos for permission to seek a trade this offseason, a request the team has granted, according to the Denver Post. He rushed for 1,240 yards in 2004 and should be easy to deal with only about $2 million owed over the final two years of his current contract.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:56 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
steelyeri wrote:Don't these denver running backs get it? It's the system? Just ask Portis.

I don't think Portis is the best example to use. All things considered, Portis didn't have a bad year. Now, if you had said Olandis Gary...that's different.

Portis had 3.8 yards per carry this year. Both years in Denver he had 5.5, that's a 1.7 yard per carry drop off. No question about it, Portis had a bad year.

Consider that the only starters that averaged less than Portis in the NFC were guys who shouldn't be starting and might retire (George and Smith) oh and Kevin Barlow, but being on the worst team will do that. 4th worst ypc in the NFL for starter is definitely a bad year for any RB.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:00 am

I think Portis gets a bit of a bad rap since Jansen was knocked out for the year very early on. First year with a new coach establishing a new system, and some problems they had offensively in general. I think they all affected him somewhat.

I wouldn't expect him to get the 5.5 he got in Denver, but shouldn't be as low as it was this year again.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:46 am

I think you covered it with "some problems they had offensively" but the enormously bad decision to acquire Brunell and the Skins' sticking with him through nine dreadful games had nearly everything to do with a down year from Portis last season. Even so, he still had 1315 yards rushing with 7 TDs. (5 rushing, 2 receiving) With Jansen back and Ramsey at center next season, look for more than 1500 yards and double digit touchdowns, at minimum!
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:12 pm

I don't know that I would want Droughns as my feature back, but I think he could be a Mike Alstott type.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:40 pm

Free Bagel said:

So am I the only one that thinks that Blaylock has what it takes to be a feature RB somewhere?

I think so. I saw enough of him to be convinced that he was the example of the great KC O-line making a back look good. LJ, on the other hand, is actually good. Virtually everytime there was nowhere for Blaylock to run, he didn't show instincts to bounce back outside, find a little hole or cut back lane. He runs straight to blocking and that's it. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong but I'm not impressed. I think he would be a fine change-of-pace back but that's it.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby steelyeri » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:47 pm

I agree that portis will improve. but the drop off this season was very steep. Even with an excellent back like portis, the system enhances the player's stats. A player like droughns couldn't be a starter unless he had a great line and offense like Denver or K.C.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ljthockey » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:53 pm

Yeah I watched every chief game this year and I also noticed how when blocking would break down Blaylock would break down. Larry was like that at the begging of the year but he progressed. Like said before Blaylock could be a nice spell back.

Droughns on the other hand I think will make a team as a starting back but wont have much success.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:07 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:I don't know that I would want Droughns as my feature back, but I think he could be a Mike Alstott type.

Except that Alstott scores touchdowns. (or at least used to) That is Droughns's one downside; he doesn't score much.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk