Snow for Atl/Phila? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Snow for Atl/Phila?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Snow for Atl/Phila?

Postby dave416 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:50 pm

I live in Philly and early indications are that a nor'easter that could produce 20-30 mph winds and an unknown amount of snow for Saturday and Sunday. This could make the game even more interesting. As for snow amounts, I've heard anywhere from 1-3 to 6-12 inches, so that obviously is still very much up in the air.

From NBC10.com:

The next chance of snow is on Saturday and Sunday with temperatures pretty cold, as well. Another reinforcing cold front is coming through on Friday that is really going to get more cold air here.

This will be a nor'easter. The questions are about the details. The system comes in from the west and redevelops along the northeast coast.

This type of storm is extremely difficult to predict, in terms of amounts and who gets what, but it does have potential.

One of the things we look at is the North Atlantic Oscillation. The NAO needs to be negative to be favorable for a big winter storm. It has been positive but it is heading toward neutral.

So conditions are not unfavorable for a big storm, but they aren't totally favorable, too. We'll be talking about other factors in the next few days.

Some models are suggesting it comes close enough to give us significant snow and wind on the weekend, on Saturday and Sunday.

It does look like it will affect the Eagles game.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:21 pm

I have a feeling it will be bad in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia - especially since the games are in the late afternoon/early evening when it's starting to turn colder. I don't see it having a major effect on the Falcons as far as their offense goes - they run it a lot and Vick isn't passing for tons of yards each game anyway. But, since they aren't used to playing the cold temperatures it could give Philly a slight edge along with having the home field advantage.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dave416 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:44 pm

Agreed, it could be a slight advantage to Philly, but warm weather teams having problems in cold weather cities can sometimes be exaggerated. I think you have to look where to players are from to get a more accurate estimate (ex. TJ Duckett played college ball at Mich St, so he should be used to it). Also, look what Jacksonville did to GB at Lambeau this year. It still could/should help Philly somewhat, but I do not think that Atlanta may be bothered by it as much as some would believe.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:53 pm

I think this one can go either way to be honest.

On one hand, the pats don't seem to have problems historically in the snow with their passing game -- some have posited that the snow helps the offense, as the defense has to be reactionary as it is, so the unknwon cuts are harder.

Which leads me to the falcons. I think a lot of people see the "number one rush offense" and conclude that they are some bruiser running team or something. This is not a knock. But they aren't the same type of running team that say baltimore or pitt is. Dunn can be a powerful runner, but he isn't a bruiser either. And a lot of their yards come in big gashes. So the effect is more along the lines of a deep pass. It isn't a sutained drive that their rush frequently does it. And given all that, it seems a lot of their runs are cut runs, not power runs. Eagles historically corralled dunn and cutback runners, have a harder time with bruisers.

So i think the snow might be inert here. It doesn't help atlanta that much I wouldn't think, as th eidentity of their rush offense is different in character than some other teams.

It is very hard to say though -- who knows.

One area that it could help big time is in vick's propensity to give it away ... he does fumble a good amount.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:25 pm

Its a full fledged snowstorm already, another one by Friday would likely put Philly into gridlock as the city somehow can't adjust to even 2 inches of snow usually.

How this plays out for the game, well it makes me giddy. The Eagles defense is the better defense and traditionally bad weather leads to defensive games. Also, I'd love to see Michael Vick try making his cuts on snow. With where he holds the ball I'm giving Philly at least a +3 turnover stat if its snowy all game.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:51 pm

I would love to see Vick running around in blizzard-like conditions. Eagles would have the advantage but not by a lot.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:21 pm

I live in CT, and there is defientely a nor'easter coming. They generally produce steady winds of 20 MPH, with wind gusts up to 30 MPH. Even though I'm in Connecticut, the noreaster is gonna be anywhere above the Mason Dixon line on sunday basically. In CT, 12 inches are beign predicted, meaning about 10-11 in Philly and 9 in PIT. Ouch. :-°
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GB Packer Fan 2004 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:46 am

well the storm ended up being on Saturday. Would have been niced to see a game played in the snow. Im not complaining though. I am very happy with the foot of snow that I recieved here in New York City. ;-D :-)

Just imagine if this thing was played in New England. They had 2 feet of snow. They really got pounded. The low really bombed out (bombogenisis). I know a lot about weather and have been following this thing.
GB Packer Fan 2004
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk