Bush salutes... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bush salutes...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bush salutes...

Postby TTTBone » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:37 pm

Norwegians Confused by Bush Salute

Fri Jan 21,12:51 PM ET
OSLO, Norway - President Bush's "Hook 'em, 'horns" salute got lost in translation in Norway, where shocked people interpreted his hand gesture during his inauguration as a salute to Satan.

That's what it means in the Nordics when you throw up the right hand with the index and pinky fingers raised, a gesture popular among heavy metal groups and their fans in the region.

"Shock greeting from Bush daughter," a headline in the Norwegian Internet newspaper Nettavisen said above a photograph of Bush's daughter Jenna, smiling and showing the sign.

For Texans, the gesture is a sign of love for the University of Texas Longhorns, whose fans are known to shout out "Hook 'em, 'horns!" at sporting events.

Always knew Texas sports fans were consorting with the "evil one". :-b
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:06 pm

Here's a picture of Laura Bush (not the Laura mentioned in my sig, BTW) showing her appreciation for the devil...

I always wondered why they did that... I thought they were trying to be "cool", or maybe Ozzy influenced 'em in some way when he attended that dinner... now I know - what a relief.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby ljthockey » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Yeah because the Texas football hook em horns in nation wide signals what is bush thinking that they were going to be all like oh yeah theres bush with his texas football sign
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:08 pm

In sign language that gesture means "BS" as in short for "BullSh*t".

Deaf people across the world thought that there was at least one smart Bush - alas they awoke this morning to find out that she was simply a vacuous sorority girl. :,-(

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bush salutes...

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:28 am

TTTBone wrote:Always knew Texas sports fans were consorting with the "evil one". :-b

How else could they get all of those recruits?!? ;)
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:52 pm

ljthockey wrote:Yeah because the Texas football hook em horns in nation wide signals what is bush thinking that they were going to be all like oh yeah theres bush with his texas football sign

he probably wasnt thinking about what the Norwegions were going to think of it at the time he did it. cut the man some slack
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:43 am

Impossible. If UT of A were really cohorting with Satan, couldn't the Prince of Darkness give us a national title? Or how about just beating Oklahoma?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby South Park Cows » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:15 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:Impossible. If UT of A were really cohorting with Satan, couldn't the Prince of Darkness give us a national title? Or how about just beating Oklahoma?

I'd settle for beating the Sooners any day of the week.
South Park Cows
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:38 am

portisfan24 wrote:he probably wasnt thinking

Yeah, that really needed saying.
This shows just what a knucklehead he is. I can forgive a dumb mistake like not finding out what a gesture like that could mean in a foriegn land, but what I can't understand is what that rube was thinking. Are there a lot of transplanted Longhorns in Norway? Why would you lose a regional salute in a land of people who have no idea what you mean?
Reminds me of when he was running the first time and couldn't name foreign dignitaries, presidents and such. So he learned the names but still has no concept of them being foriegn. Where were his handlers? Pursecuting SpongeBob, no doubt.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to General Talk