My rant about electronic sales (long) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My rant about electronic sales (long)

Moderator: Football Moderators

My rant about electronic sales (long)

Postby awwchrist » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:51 pm

So the wife is condoning the purchase of a High-Def TV. Great! I sprint out the door at 7:45am and head to CompUSA (open at 8) to stall for time before good guys/circuit city/best buy open at 10.

Little did I know that CompUSA sells TVs now. Shows you how often I shop for electronics in retail stores. They had the 34" Sony Wega (tube) monitor for about 300-400 less than other places I've seen.

Interesting. I'm sure the other places will price match. Still need a HD reciever, which CompUSA doesn't sell. So I burn the rest of my time on cigs/coffee and a newspaper in the parking lot. Good Guys opens up and I recognize one of the salesmen from my previous purchase.

It was six years ago. Newly divorced with good credit out the ass and no house payment to burden, I decide to celebrate by dumping about two grand into an entertainment system.

I never took in his name. But he's got a look and persona that doesn't require a name to remember him. So fat and slothish you could hear the words struggle past his fat tongue and jowels. Obviously enunciating his speech was even becoming a burden. Pudgy fingers. Couldn't wrap a normal neck tie around him without it running out of length somewhere between his man-boobs. He's that much of a slug.

He tried to max me out on things I didn't need, nor want. But rather I took him good that day (free delivery/no sales tax/free cables/100 gift card/3 year extended warranty for 1/2). All you have to do is be persistant.

I knew he wouldnt remember me. But I knew him. And it was all the more to my advantage. That jackass. He opened up with the obligatory greeting "Hi what can I do for you? Can I get into your pocket and make you spend 300% more than your intention?"

"Here's the TV I want. CompUSA is selling it for 400 less than you plus a 100 gift card. Price match it?"

(eyes pop) "400? I'll have to call and confirm.."

"I'll wait. Don't be long please."

He took his sweet ass time. Which was a shame, because I would have gladly bought from him had he came back with all things square and acting like he really wanted to help.

10 minutes later I'm still waiting for him to stop slouching over the sales desk and tell me we're golden. I was a mere millisecond from handing him a piece of paper with my first name and cell number and walking out the door when he finally hung up.

"They don't have any in stock. We don't price match what they don't have in stock."

"You called the CompUSA at Jantzen Beach right?"

"Yep. Nothing in stock."

"Positive? I was just down there. You talk to the Sony agent..Mark?"

"Yep....and..Nothing."

I was pissed because I knew he was lying. They had the floor model and 2 units left. I checked before I left.

"Look. They had 2 new and a floor model (checking watch) 85 minutes ago. I'll come back here and apologize if they sold out in that amount of time. But for now, I'm going to drive my ass back to CompUSA and get my TV. And because you're some open mouth breathing ass who can't stand to lose a couple hundred (to your parent company nonetheless) on a TV and maintain my future buisness....over making me waste time that I could be spending playing with my child at home and just buying it here...well..."

LOL priceless. Jabba couldn't say anything other than give me a deer-in-headlights I got pwned 10,000 yard gaze.

"Thanks for nothing. Literally. You'll be lucky if I don't come back here with TV in tow to tell your boss how much of a (explative) wreck you are. It sure as hell won't be to buy a camera or cell phone, much less a USB cable EVER again."

Back to CompUSA I went. Straight to Mark.

"You get a call from Good Guys wanting a price match on that TV?"

"Yeah."

"What did you tell them?"

"2 in stock with one floor."

Smiling, yet pissed. "I'll take one."
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:04 pm

Mercer Blog-worthy stuff there. I loved it! ;-D

Is there any chance you could be available in a few months to drive up here when I think about buying a big TV? :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:19 pm

You're my hero, aww.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Re: My rant about electronic sales (long)

Postby Lushcrush » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:24 pm

awwchrist wrote:I knew he wouldnt remember me. But I knew him.

Grrrrr ... ;-)
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:02 pm

wow, great stuff aww ;-D
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:20 pm

Let me get this straight. I do believe you live in Washington State, that has a sales tax, and drove into Oregon, that has an income tax, and did your major purchase there. Saved yourself even some more money. ;-D
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TTTBone » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Nice work, aww. ;-D
I'm assuming the hog-joweled sloth worked for Circuit City. Can't stand that place.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Canacuna » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:59 pm

I don't like Circuit City much either. Their selection for non-new movies leaves a lot to be desired (mine only carries about two or three copies of the same DVD, for example). It's a rarity if they carry a CD that I want... They always seem to hire all of the people Best-Buy rejects... plus, their registers are all over the place instead of all at the front of the store... and whenever you want to buy something, you have to hunt down a register - and when you do, there's no one there. Argh.

...I have a $20 gift certificate for CC that I got for Christmas... I'm dreading the trip. :-o
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TTTBone » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:16 pm

Canacuna wrote:...I have a $20 gift certificate for CC that I got for Christmas... I'm dreading the trip. :-o

So, you've got a $20 gift certificate for Canadian Cheesehead?
It's understandable why you're dreading that trip. :-b
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CC » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:19 pm

TTTBone wrote:
Canacuna wrote:...I have a $20 gift certificate for CC that I got for Christmas... I'm dreading the trip. :-o

So, you've got a $20 gift certificate for Canadian Cheesehead?
It's understandable why you're dreading that trip. :-b

So many inapproprite jokes ahead, thanks TTT.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk