Moderator: Football Moderators

Rudi takes a stand

Postby TTTBone » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:21 pm

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Rudi doesn't want franchise tag
Agent says running back will sit if given one-year deal

By Mark Curnutte
Enquirer staff writer

Running back Rudi Johnson wants more than a 1-year deal from the Bengals.

Rudi Johnson would sit out the 2005 season rather than play under a one-year free agent contract designation available to the Bengals.

Peter Schaffer, Johnson's agent, said Friday night that he has told the Bengals that Johnson would not play if the club uses the franchise tag on Johnson.

"He feels he has earned the right not to play for insecurity," Schaffer said. "It's notanti-organization. It's not Corey Dillon. I was very clear: Rudi feels his contributions to the team and his stats warrant that, if he is going to play for the Bengals, that it is not for one year."

Johnson wants a five- or six-year contract with the Bengals, Schaffer said. Johnson can become an unrestricted free agent March 2. He played for a $1.8 million tender as a restricted free agent in 2004 and responded by starting all 16 games and setting franchise records for rushing yards (1,454) and rushing attempts (361).

The franchise tag severely limits a free agent's ability to change teams. The Bengals would have to guarantee Johnson a one-year deal equal to the average of the top five running back salaries in the league - expected to be near $6 million. If another team would sign Johnson as a free agent, the Bengals would receive compensation in the form of two first-round draft picks.

Johnson did not return several phone messages left Friday.

"They felt strongly about securing cornerstone players Willie Anderson (right tackle), Chad Johnson (wide receiver) and Carson Palmer (quarterback) with multi-year contracts," Schaffer said of the Bengals. "Rudi is not saying he does not want to be a Bengal. He wants to be a Bengal for several years."

The Bengals could put the tag on Johnson and then try to trade him.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan had no comment Friday night about Schaffer's comments.

Johnson has been a good team player, unlike Dillon, who consistently complained about playing in Cincinnati and tried to manipulate his exit.

The Bengals traded Dillon to New England in April for a second-round pick.

Personally, I would think an early threat is not best tactic to employ with the available RB talent out there.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Turnip » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:30 pm

I think he feels he is much better than most of this new talent out there, especially since he broke the bengals all time rushing record for a season this year. He just wants to get paid what he's worth.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:40 pm

i cant blame him for wanting job security. he earned it this year IMO.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:58 pm

I do agree with you guys, Rudi has earned it.
However, I still don't think the public pre-emptive strike was the smartest tactic to employ.
I've always been a proponent of players, agents and teams negotiating in private, so the negotiations don't become tainted by public perception, or team or player ego taking a hit in the public eye. Pretty hard to back off once you've made a public statement.Rudi's stand could have been delivered to the team in private.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby CKY_ROX » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:36 pm

RUDI has defenatly deserved to make this stand, but i really dont like it when thye go public ( as well as with trade demands) becasue it really jeopardises thier situation and makes it a lot harder to negotiation

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby ljthockey » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:03 am

If I was the bengals I say you franchise him then trade him. And give the reigns to Chris Perry
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:08 am

Well it's obvious Rudi just wants to be a long term Bengal, and not see Perry get the starting job, but in reality I don't think that will happen. The Bengals will probably franchise him and just not sign him or trade him. Hopefully none of this actually happens though and he just stays in Cincy...I had high hopes for him next year.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Turnip » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:44 am

I trust that Marvin knows what he's doing, he says Perry is better than he even thought he would be...but I'm still going to be very nervous if he's the main man.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:12 am

It's all about the ca$h. If they franchise him they he gets $6mil but if he can sign a contract he gets a signing bonus, and remember they can cut him whenever and the contract is done. That's likely what it's all about. Get a long term contract and a huge signing bonus.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:14 pm

I like how the agent said this is not Dillon. As soon as I started reading this I instantly thought of Dillon's statements... I would rather flip burgers than play for the Bengals, and so on.

I believe it was a good move. I mean honestly what do most of you guys think of the Bungles? They are notoriously cheap, and this puts public pressure on them to at least attempt to field a winning team.

I have said it many, many times... Chris Perry is not an NFL feature back. Rudi set that record against the sickest schedule of defenses in recent memory and deserves a long term contract.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk