Rudi takes a stand - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rudi takes a stand

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:28 am

I think if Cincy was bold enough to draft Perry, they won'y pony up to sign Rudi to a long term deal. I would think they envisioned Perry being the man there and having Rudi to a longterm deal would only make things muddy, and you wouldn't be able to give Perry the money later.

Rudi had a good year, but appears to not be in the plans down the line.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:41 am

Only two options will happen: 1) Trade or 2) Play one disgruntled year and then be traded. Bengals won't pay him for more than one year and making it public won't make any difference.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:45 am

With alln the RB talent out there this year, going into the season with just Chris Perry, and if they sign any other lesser RB, is a bad idea. Perry was a 1st round pick, but they may have to swallow some pride like the Chiefs did in picking Larry Johnson. Rudi is a proven commodity, he wants to play there, he just wants job security (understandable). Wouldn't hurt them to have the key skilled players (Johnson, Johnson, and Palmer) their offense is built off of locked up to long term deal.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:34 pm

I agree it's a good idea to re-sign Rudi long-term. He has proven he can run against probably the toughest run D sked this year. And locking up their "triplets" would make all the sense in the world. Unfortunately, we're still talking about the Brown-owned Bengals so don't expect too many smart moves at a time.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby pdub » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:01 pm

yeah, i mean does lewis really think he's going to get more out of perry? seriously.

i suppose that rudi, while productive, isn't the type of back that lewis wants in his gameplan. most notably, he wants a back that is good for a lot of catches out of the backfield. supposedly, perry is that guy.

i still think that we need to sign another back in the event that perry doesn't work out. i could live with a droughns/perry backfield.
pdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JimmyChoi » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:44 am

I don't think sitting out will benefit him. I aggree he deserves a deal,but If I were 25 and about to make 6.1 million....I think I would do my best to play.....If he puts another impressive season in, he will get his money contract....
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:57 am

Another thing for Rudi to think about is this may not be the best season to make a stand with all the Free Agent RBs out there, plus a pretty solid group of RBs entering the draft this year. He may want to be thankful he has a job. That said, I do believe the Bengals should pony up, but I don't know that publically threatening a hold out is the best way to handle it.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:34 pm

RBs careers are so short that it's not in the best interests of Rudi to be satisfied with a franchise contract. Remember, Rudi already played one season under the yoke of being a restricted free agent and the Bengal's have already had more than one year to see what Rudi can do. Don't blame Rudi for this situation, the Bengal's put it all on themselves by not signing him last year or during the season.... 1400 yards and 12 TDs later it's time to pay the piper or suffer the consequences (Michigan RB ouch!).

Look at Julian Peterson to see what can happen to a player that signs a franchise tag. Everyone remembers how stupid Peterson looked after refusing to sign on a lucratice long-term contract that would have paid him more than the franchise tag.. and then he got injured, jeopardizing all that money. Rudi Johnson is not the All-Pro player at his position like Peterson, so he needs to get paid now. Rudi wants a contract probably worth LESS than the franchise tag just to ensure he gets that signing bonus and a multi-year commitment. RBs are one and done in this league so ridiculously quick it's not even funny. Next year could very well be Rudi's last year to start in the NFL even though he gets labeled as the Bengals' franchise player......fact of life in the NFL.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JimmyChoi » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:37 pm

Kensat30 wrote: Rudi Johnson is not the All-Pro player at his position like Peterson, so he needs to get paid now. Rudi wants a contract probably worth LESS than the franchise tag just to ensure he gets that signing bonus and a multi-year commitment. RBs are one and done in this league so ridiculously quick it's not even funny. Next year could very well be Rudi's last year to start in the NFL even though he gets labeled as the Bengals' franchise player......fact of life in the NFL.

Good Point
JimmyChoi
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cruiz03 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:57 pm

He should get paid.... will it happen, I dought it. Prior to week 16 Lewis was saying how great Perry has been and that he feels confident passing the starting role to Perry. IMO he was injured all year with what was believed to be an abdominal intrusion. Come to find out, he had a sports hernia. Do we know how good this guy is.... NO! The fact that he's from Michigan means nothing.

At the end of the day, Lewis needs to swallow his pride and sign Rudi. He picked Perry as the best RB in the draft (big mistake, 1st RB taken) even though it was not their primary need.
cruiz03
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk