Satellite Radio? a little help... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Satellite Radio? a little help...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Satellite Radio? a little help...

Postby TTTBone » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:15 pm

Thinking about moving to satellite radio, and would like some opinions from anyone already using the services.
I'm thinking of getting a mobile reciever (i.e. transfer from vehicle to home, work, etc), and would like some opinions on specific models and services.
Obviously, Sirius and XM are the big boys and both have signed enough deals with auto manufacturers, that both should be in it for the long run. Any preferances there? A big battle going on for market share (particularily amoung new car manufacturers), which both should survive.
Big question, Sirius offers lifetime subscription for $500, while XM offers 5 year for $450... Is it too soon in the technology, and the life of the companies, to take advantage of "lifetime" offers?
From my somewhat limited research, I'm inclined to go with Sirius and take the "lifetime" offer.
Thoughts?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lushcrush » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:31 pm

I don't have the service now but I checked in to it when I put some tunes in my TBird.
Most of the lineup is comparable, but Sirius is the only one with all of the NFL games. 'Nuff said. ;-D
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:50 pm

Now you have me laughing .. I never even looked at the XM much after I found out about the NFL deal.
I did read in a magazine in the tunes shop while I was waiting that they kinda liked them about equal. ;-)
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Well, I do make it a point to get myself in front of a TV every Sunday. When I do have to travel, for work or family, usually the ESPN Radio Network or the local stations keep me well enough informed to make the ride smooth.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby MCG321 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:05 pm

Sirius = Howard = Winner! ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:26 am

One thing I think you might wasnt to verify is that the lifetime subscription isn't tied to the hardware.

Something that some people don't realize (at least this was the case when we purchased our TIVO back when no communication company partnered up) is that the 15 bucks/month service fee could be waived and instead you could pay 200 or 300 bucks for the lifetime service. Problem was...it was tied to the box. You get a newer one with a bigger harddrive space, newer series, etc. then the 300 bucks wasn't applicable.

Considering both entertainment services came around at the same time, you never know what was in the kool-aid as they were drinking it. Just my 2 bits, and sorry I can't be more specific with satellite radio as we aren't subscribers.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:26 pm

XM ahs so much better service and programming than sirius, other than the nfl stuff. you can get most of the nfl games on xm though, just not every single one. xm has better music and programming though. only thing, xm has conservative bias, sirius as liberal bias (in terms of music and programming). I'd stick with xm though, casue it has nfl games, but it will be much better during the offseason.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JayM09 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:30 pm

I have sirius radio and i wouldnt trade for anything else.

Nfl package is great especially if you work or have to be on the road on sundays. It also has a quite a few of college conferences (big12, sec) to name a couple.

there are espn radio, espn news, nfl radio and a couple of other sports channels to cover your sports fix.

great music to boot, id say my favorite channel is octane. great stuff ;-D

Now if stern could get here quicker.
[b]cafe leagues
nkl 9-6 #3 seed, runner-up
budbowl 10-5 #3 seed. 3rd place
vxl 11-4 #1 seed, runner-up
gbffl 10-5 #2 seed, lost semis
cafe champs 12-4 #1 seed, runner-up[/b]
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:02 pm

JayM09 wrote:I have sirius radio and i wouldnt trade for anything else.

Nfl package is great especially if you work or have to be on the road on sundays. It also has a quite a few of college conferences (big12, sec) to name a couple.

there are espn radio, espn news, nfl radio and a couple of other sports channels to cover your sports fix.

great music to boot, id say my favorite channel is octane. great stuff ;-D

Now if stern could get here quicker.

Heh, I'm sure you can't wait for Howard. What was it...15 months from whenever it was announced?
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vdragon78 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:37 pm

sirius = Howard
xm = Opie and Anthony

tough choice.
vdragon78
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff