IF THE NFL WERE TO START OVER... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

IF THE NFL WERE TO START OVER...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: There's WAY too much love for Moss here...

Postby daullaz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:46 am

Carolina Culpepper wrote:Here we go again. At the risk of repeating myself to the point of insanity...... If Moss is such a negative why as recently as last week, after both the Washington "walk-off" and the "moon over Green Bay"incidents, classy and smart Colts coach Tony Dungy said that Randy Moss may be the most game changing and valuable player in the NFL. Certainly seems like he has a different opinion on Moss's value than you. Also, as I have said over and over again, if Moss is such a negative on his team why is it that the Vikings have made the playoffs in 4 of his first 7 years in the league and been to the NFC championship game twice in that span. They have had a .500 or better record 5 of his 7 years and have a play-off record of 5 - 4. Any observer of the Vike's will tell you that this is because of Moss, not in spite of him. Also on another note the Vikings have sold out EVERY GAME at the Metrodome since he was drafted by them in 98 which gives him the box-office draw award that so many are using to justify Vick's status in this mock draft.

My point is this: Moss has too many negatives to validate making him the cornerstone of a franchise. I agree that he is a playmaker, and on the field he is one of the best at his position, but do you really feel comfortable with Randy Moss being the face of your organization? Wouldn't you rather have McNabb, Brady, Manning, Tomlinson, Seymour, Reed, etc? Just cause a guy can catch a football doesn't give him the right to act like he does.

And as for your other "arguments," I'm not one of the "box-office draw award" guys. I don't put Vick in my top ten, so don't try to use that against me in saying Moss should be on my list. And just cause the Vikings win a few more games each year doesn't mean Moss deserves all the credit. Maybe Dennis Green, maybe the front office. Maybe the TEAM, but not one guy.

I believe (and I think Robert Kraft agrees) in building a team with guys that make all of their teammates better, guys with team-first attitudes. Randy Moss isn't one of them. If you think about it, everyone knew he was ultra-talented coming out of the draft. As the draft was happening, the big question was "How far will Moss slip?" Why do you think all those teams passed on him? At the end of the third round of that same draft, the Steelers picked Hines Ward, and I bet everyone in the Pittsburgh organization is much happier with Ward than they would be with Moss.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:50 am

deluxe_247 wrote:i really enjoy seeing all these ravens listed :-)

And I could have kept on going. A young Jon Ogden is definitely top-5 material. I just don't see him being an elite players 4 years down the road. I think he's gonna start to fade after 2 more years of being the best tackle out there. Take away Jamal Lewis' recent off-the-field problems and he is a definite contender on the list. I would LOVE to have Terrell Suggs on my team, and who knows? This time next year, he could easily be on the top-10. That Baltimore front office really knows what they're doing.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:16 am

daullaz wrote:

And I could have kept on going. A young Jon Ogden is definitely top-5 material. I just don't see him being an elite players 4 years down the road. I think he's gonna start to fade after 2 more years of being the best tackle out there. Take away Jamal Lewis' recent off-the-field problems and he is a definite contender on the list. I would LOVE to have Terrell Suggs on my team, and who knows? This time next year, he could easily be on the top-10. That Baltimore front office really knows what they're doing.

I agree, the Ravens have a plethora of superstars. But none of that matters unless they get a quarterback and a wide receiver.

I would say the Bills are a better overall team in a Raven-type mold. They could probably afford to upgrade their QB soon though too.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:44 am

Nilmerf wrote:
daullaz wrote:

I would say the Bills are a better overall team in a Raven-type mold. They could probably afford to upgrade their QB soon though too.

Agreed. As a Bills fan, I'm crossing my fingers that the front office knew what they were doing when they traded away this year's first rounder for Losman. And Baltimore will get that much needed receiver this year. They might get 2! One in the draft for sure, and maybe one in free agency.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:36 pm

This team should really be the Browns, but thats a different thread. :-D
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting