The Official Superbowl Thread: Philly vs. New England - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Official Superbowl Thread: Philly vs. New England

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Official Superbowl Thread: Philly vs. New England

Postby CC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:22 pm

This is a preseason prediction anyone with a passing knowledge of football could have made, and when it comes down to it, these were the best teams in their respective conferences.

Will New England firmly stake their claim as the modern dynasty?
Will Philly finally get over the hump and extinguish all the talk of them being choke-artists?

There's one thing for sure, we're in for 14 days of "Will he play, or won't he play" in regards to TO.

Sound off with your comments here.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:28 pm

Bleh. Two teams I despise going at it at the highest level in football. I'd love it if Philly won though... for these reasons...

1) I have a valid excuse to my friends why the 'Boys always get beat down by them
2) If TO doesn't play, he'll be humbled if Philly wins
3) The Cowboys, to the best of my knowledge, are the only team to win the Super Bowl 3 of 4 years. I hope they keep that tiny record.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ljthockey » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:34 pm

I to hope that Philly pulls this game off but I dont see it happening as much as I hate to admit it New England is a dynasty and are about to snag another one.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:42 pm

NE should win, they are as legit as legit gets.

however tyhe eagles may have a chance, i said "MAY" -- because of these reasons:

donovan is a running qb, and those are more scarce in the afc. given that he can run and throw might prove a challenge.

reid will learn from the colts mistake (the weather won't be a factor) maybe owens plays. if he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see some 4wr sets with westbrook, owens, pinkston and g. lewis. granted, the last two are wimpy as heck, but they are also fast as heck. if someone forced the dregs of the pats secondary on the field, maybe they have a chance.

eagles defense is fast and disciplined, and they have one of, if not the best secondary in the nfl. maybe (I doubt it) they can press the pats with the comibnation rush and coverage. after all, had they not spotted the bengals that last game, they would have led the league in scoring defense (again, I think dillon is a singular challenge, so who knows)

I guess what I would say I am is pessimistaclly optimistic.

coaching. bellicheck is the master and obviously the superior coach. but I think reid and johnson can possibly prove to be a decent foil for them. they are by necessity going to have to prepare for two teams in effect. with owens and without. sources say from philyl that owens is a distinct possiblity.

like I said, I have nothing but respect for the pats, and I think honestly, they are going to win. But, perhaps the eagles give them a look they may not exaclt be used to.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:48 pm

No surprise--I pick the Pats. I bet Belichick and Crennel figure out a way to contain McNabb and Westbrook--and that is the eagles offense. TO will not play, for sure.

31-24, Pats.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:50 pm

trans, I don't necessarily disagree with your prediction .. but owens was taking snaps this week. wip was all over him playing. he has been walking without crutches for a little while now.

eagles are playing a little guesswork with him. he may play.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:57 pm

eaglesrule wrote:trans, I don't necessarily disagree with your prediction .. but owens was taking snaps this week. wip was all over him playing. he has been walking without crutches for a little while now.

eagles are playing a little guesswork with him. he may play.

The Pats have been playing guesswork with Seymour, too. And he might actually play in two weeks--now that he has had this much time off. I think the Steelers and Cotls will atest to his backup--Jarvis Green--being quite good.

From what I've heard, TO had the same injury as Steve Smith, and he just started running. I don't see him playing at all. It's all a smokescreen. Even if he does, I don't see him as any more dangerous than a Ward/Burress or Harrison/Wayne/Stokely combo.

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby nsulham » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:59 pm

I heard Berman say on Primetime that one of the Lewis' for Philly might have broken his foot? Anyone know which one?
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MCG321 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:02 am

nsulham wrote:I heard Berman say on Primetime that one of the Lewis' for Philly might have broken his foot? Anyone know which one?

Chad.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:03 am

MCG321 wrote:
nsulham wrote:I heard Berman say on Primetime that one of the Lewis' for Philly might have broken his foot? Anyone know which one?

Chad.

How'd that happen? That's a bad sign for the Eagles.

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk