The Official Superbowl Thread: Philly vs. New England - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Official Superbowl Thread: Philly vs. New England

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MCG321 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:05 am

Nilmerf wrote:Philadelphia wins on a touchdown caught by Terrell Owens. ;-D

With all these weeks off, he'd better have thought of the TD celebration to end all TD celebrations. ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:33 am

I have to give the Pats obvious favorites in this game. They are the team to beat. However as an Eagles fan, I'm rooting for the Eagles. I think this will be the best superbowl matchup since the Pats upset St. Louis at the least.

The Eagles certainly aren't dead in the water though. TO may or may not be healthy in time, but he'll suit up for the game. If nothing else, Reid will use him as a decoy early on, which may give him the edge to take an early lead (which is what helps the eagles gameplan best).

I think the reason the Eagles aren't dead in the water is their passing defense. Brady won't feast on them like he has the Colts and Steelers. The only question is shutting down Cory Dillon, and if they do that its going to be very hard for New England to put points on the board.

However, without TO, and even with him, it's going to be hard on the Eagles. The coaching matchup should be great as well, possibly the top 2 defensive minds (Belichik and Johnson) squaring off, and two of the best QBs in the league trying to beat them.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby UNDEFEATED » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:00 am

The Eagles have a very good team. Unfortunately the WR are still soft. same old story. existing wr(mitchell & Pinkston) caught THREE balls. Atlanta could not contain westbrook and the t-ends. So who stepped up without TO? Nobody really. They are simply playing the same but without the major wr threat. Nothing has really changed.

So who stepped up? The one new name is GREG LEWIS. Only becuase he caught two balls for 65 yards. Not exactly TO. But who is.

C Lewis broken foot is major IMO. With this injury to Chad LEwis. Eagles are going down hill. Chad Lewis was at least more consistent than Freddie Mitchell and Pinkston. Or put it this way Chad Lewis and Mcnabb have a better on field repoir.

So it doesn't look great for the Eagles. But hey Being in the Super Bowl is kickass.

I never really understood the reputation Philly fans had, until i met one. OMG. I know one bad apple doesn't represent the whole. But damn he still represented a handfull of you eagles fans. Ill just stop because i might stab my keyboard and my monitor. I met him two seasons ago. the first time the eagles made it to the championship game. Never forget it. :~(
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kevinoc81 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:52 am

Hey Transmogrifier:

You might want to change your sig? The Patriots only scored 35 on the best defense. If I am correct, the 6 points from the INT return for a TD don't count against the Pitt defense. At least they don't count in fantasy?

Not like it's a big deal or I care (another Super Bowl I will be indifferent), but there will be some smack talking I'm sure for the next two weeks between you guys and Eagles fans.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:55 am

kevinoc81 wrote:Hey Transmogrifier:

You might want to change your sig? The Patriots only scored 35 on the best defense. If I am correct, the 6 points from the INT return for a TD don't count against the Pitt defense. At least they don't count in fantasy?

Not like it's a big deal or I care (another Super Bowl I will be indifferent), but there will be some smack talking I'm sure for the next two weeks between you guys and Eagles fans.

Yeah, I thought about that, and almost changed it to "on the team with the best defense", but realized I don't care. I mean, if we want to get that technical, the Colts offense scored zero points--their special teams did the kicking, right?

Technically, you're right, but I'm not concerned. Thanks, though. ;-D
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kevinoc81 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:19 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
kevinoc81 wrote:Hey Transmogrifier:

Yeah, I thought about that, and almost changed it to "on the team with the best defense", but realized I don't care. I mean, if we want to get that technical, the Colts offense scored zero points--their special teams did the kicking, right?

Technically, you're right, but I'm not concerned. Thanks, though. ;-D

:-b I guess. Just looking out for you. ;-D
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:43 pm

I'm chiming in with the belief this will be a blowout. The Pats will have two weeks to prepare and that's two weeks more than Bellicheck and Co. need. Speed at LB will keep McNabb from running much. Westbrook was contained by Atlanta for the most part so New England should be able to repeat the feat. I also agree that Chad Lewis is a BIG loss. McNabb needs as many receiving threats on the field as he can get and that's one of his best who probably won't play. TO? My hunch is he'll play but probably not much more than a decoy and Bellicheck won't fall for that. Bottom line for me is that Philly will need a big turnover early and score quickly or Sir Paul McCartney will be the closing act. BTW, I'm rooting for Philly. But that's probably because I'm a masochist.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:17 pm

ok: "Westbrook was contained by Atlanta for the most part so New England should be able to repeat the feat."

I don't see how you can say that at all, when he gained like 120 yards of offense, and almost 100 yards rushing.

anyway -- Im going to try and avoid chiming in anymore, people are going to think what they are going to think.

But, give credit where credit is due. The eagles were tied with the pats on scoring defense, and the only reason that is the case is the eagles strategically lost the last two games. Their pass defense is undenaibly better than anything the steelers or colts can put out there, and the eagles are much more careful with the ball -- I wouldn't count on getting turnovers like they did yesterday.

<EDIT> I also think it bears some repeating, even if most will poo poo it. The eagles did beat the second most prolific passing attack, and the most prolific running attack in back to back wins. And they shut those attacks down. They also were second in the league in sacks, and forced a lot of turnovers. this defense is legit.

Reid and johnson do quite well after a bye/having week to prepare, in fact, they are undefeated in such scenarios.

Furthermore, you can be reid won't repeat the dungy mistake. he will take calculated risks, and he will force the pats to use 4 corners on occasion.
Last edited by eaglesrule on Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:44 pm

New England was my preseason pick to win it all anyway. I see no reason to change it now. I think Bellicheck will find a way to contain McNabb & co. New England 27 Philladelphia 14.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kevinoc81 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:22 pm

I see no reason why New England shouldn't be the favorite, but I would not be shocked like most of you if Philly won. Super Bowls are tough. Both teams are tough. One bounce, one way could make all the difference.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk