The Official Superbowl Thread: Philly vs. New England - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

The Official Superbowl Thread: Philly vs. New England

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:24 pm

kevinoc81 wrote:I see no reason why New England shouldn't be the favorite, but I would not be shocked like most of you if Philly won. Super Bowls are tough. Both teams are tough. One bounce, one way could make all the difference.


Agreed. I think the Pats will win, but I think the Eagles certainly can.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 711
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:51 pm

I just want to add that, yes, the Eagles CAN win, but I don't see it at all. Andy better call a loose game like he did against the Falcons. Great playcalling. And the Eagles will NEED a good bounce or two; whereas, the Pats won't. I'm glad these two get to play each other in the big game since you can also argue that Philly is the #2 "dynasty" of the last 4 years. Andy better call a loose game like he did against the Falcons. Great playcalling.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 668
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Right behind you with a bucket of Gatorade

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:55 pm

Unless TO plays, Philly won't stand a chance. Dillon will run all over them. Pats win 27-14.
Image
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6861
Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:00 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:Unless TO plays, Philly won't stand a chance. Dillon will run all over them. Pats win 27-14.


I think people are seriously underestimating the Eagles rushing D, perhaps by looking at their season stats. The defense changed completely starting in week 10 when Trotter became the starting MLB. Look at the rushing defensive stats from week 10 to week 15 (the current D starting the whole game), and I think Dillon will be in for a pleasant surprise.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 2644
Joined: 10 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:31 pm

OwenTheBlonde wrote: I'm chiming in with the belief this will be a blowout. The Pats will have two weeks to prepare and that's two weeks more than Bellicheck and Co. need. Speed at LB will keep McNabb from running much. Westbrook was contained by Atlanta for the most part so New England should be able to repeat the feat. I also agree that Chad Lewis is a BIG loss. McNabb needs as many receiving threats on the field as he can get and that's one of his best who probably won't play. TO? My hunch is he'll play but probably not much more than a decoy and Bellicheck won't fall for that. Bottom line for me is that Philly will need a big turnover early and score quickly or Sir Paul McCartney will be the closing act. BTW, I'm rooting for Philly. But that's probably because I'm a masochist.



There is so much wrong with this post it's incredible. I'm not trying to talk smack here, but I disagree with about every assessment you've made here.


OwenTheBlonde wrote:Speed at LB will keep McNabb from running much.


McNabb is a disciplined QB, he stays in the pocket when there's no pass rush and he rolls out when the pressure is there. Speedy linebackers will force McNabb to run MORE often than not. Chances are McNabb will get away too.. probably the toughest QB in the league to bring down behind the line of scrimmage. Just because McNabb has the ability to run the ball doesn't mean that he is going to forget his WRs and tuck the ball away whenever there is pressure (ala Michael Vick).

OwenTheBlonde wrote: Westbrook was contained by Atlanta for the most part so New England should be able to repeat the feat.


Westbrook absolutely destroyed the Atlanta defense. How can you consider him being "contained" after he averaged 6 yards per carry?!? The Falcon's shut him down for about 3 or 4 plays out of 20, and on the other 15 it was the Brian Westbrook show out there.

I agree that the Patriot's should be a little more successful at stopping Westbrook in 2 weeks because they are a better overall defense, but you can't entirely shut him down. No linebacker in the league can cover Westbrook 1v1, and he is utilized heavily in the passing game. Considering New England's run defense is not especially tough this year, mark down Westbrook for 100+ combined yardage, virtually guaranteed...


OwenTheBlonde wrote:I also agree that Chad Lewis is a BIG loss. McNabb needs as many receiving threats on the field as he can get and that's one of his best who probably won't play.


Chad Lewis is a big loss, but not for the reasons you think. LJ Smith is actually a better pass catcher than Lewis. The Eagle's are not missing anything in that department when LJ is on the field and Chad is on the bench. If anything, Lewis' injury hurts the Eagle's because of their lack of depth. Lewis was the #1 TE because of his blocking ability and experience. Without him you can scratch out most of the 2 TE formations that the Eagle's run. And if LJ Smith goes down, look out.....

I also think you see a little more of Dorsey Levens out there as a result of the loss of Chad Lewis. The Eagle's know they need to concentrate on the Patriot's weakness (run defense) and utilize Westbrook and Levens in a 1-2 punch in the run game to keep the Patriot's pass defense somewhat honest. Westbrook is the x-factor on the Eagle's offense and you need to limit him to under 25 touches for full effectiveness, especially if you're missing an important blocker like 6'6" Chad Lewis up front. Throw Levens in there for 10 or 15 plays and use him like a battering ram to wear down the defense and take some hits and then Westbrook can work his magic.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 6427
Joined: 2 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BuhBeannyhavy and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 16:11 hours
(and 41 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact