Say what you want about Big Ben - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Say what you want about Big Ben

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MCG321 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:54 pm

The Lung wrote:I have a lot of faith in the Steelers 3rd and 4th string running backs, Verron Haynes and Willie Parker - they are no slouches.

I really didn't know how good they were, which is why I said what I did. If they can step in and carry heavy loads, then I see no reason for the Steelers to stop their ball-control offense.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:01 pm

I'm not saying they are AWESOME, I mean there's probably a good reason they aren't starting running backs, although they could probably start for a few clubs (Miami, Oakland, Arizona...)

Haynes is a strong third down back. Parker had 19 rushes for 102 yards in week 17, the last game of the year for the Steelers when they were resting starters, but playing against the first string Buffalo defense trying to reach the playoffs. That spoke volumes to me.
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Cooner » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:55 pm

The Lung wrote:I'm not saying they are AWESOME, I mean there's probably a good reason they aren't starting running backs, although they could probably start for a few clubs (Miami, Oakland, Arizona...)

Haynes is a strong third down back. Parker had 19 rushes for 102 yards in week 17, the last game of the year for the Steelers when they were resting starters, but playing against the first string Buffalo defense trying to reach the playoffs. That spoke volumes to me.

the main reason he had the impressive yardage was breaking one for 50ish yards. Not to take anything away from him- it was a great performance, but I wouldn't use that one game to say he's the heir-apparent to Duce/Bettis. Maybe he is, maybe not.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:24 pm

Cooner wrote:the main reason he had the impressive yardage was breaking one for 50ish yards. Not to take anything away from him- it was a great performance, but I wouldn't use that one game to say he's the heir-apparent to Duce/Bettis. Maybe he is, maybe not.

Excellent point. Take away that 58 yard scramble, and he had 18 rushes for 44 yards, which is only 2.4 ypc.

I also did a little research and found that Parker had 202 yards on 46 attempts and 2 TDs during the 2004 preseason, which isn't too shabby. Of course, that is immediately countered with "Preseason means nothing!" ;-)
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby petedog9 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:37 pm

Not to make any excuses for Ben because he threw a few passes he shouldnt have and obviously struggled in that game. But I just read were he sustained 2 broken toes early in the first quarter of that game...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:31 pm

Nobody was talking bad about Ben. Many of us belieevd he would struggle, and he did. I still tihnk hes a good quarterback. I dont think he will ever be a great passing QB (Manning, Culpepper, etc.) but he is a good leader and should take the Steelers deep into the playoffs for many years.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk