Stubborness kills - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stubborness kills

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stubborness kills

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:50 am

After Sunday's games I can easily say that the dumber coaches lost the game for their teams. What was Mora Jr. thinking after watching his running game start to get into gear, he decides to let Vick get the call for the crucial series (first one in the 4th?) leading to a punt. You win by doing what works, and Vick wasn't working. Stubborness helped kill the Falcons...and the Stillers.

How long did the Chin agonize over his game plan? "Uh...let's run right up the gut on 1st and 2 down no matter what. Plan B, we don't need plan B" WTG, stubborness equals a 1-4 record now in Conference championship games, or is it 1-5?

When you look at the Pats the one thing that sticks out to me is superior coaching that searches for ways to attack that week's opponant instead of doing what we've always done, or relying on their star player. The Chin and Jr failed to do that and will watch the big game instead of coach in it.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:56 am

That's something I've really never understood about the Seahawks. We took one step to secure (at the time) one of the greatest coaches in the game, but have struggled to get any competant coordinators or front office personnel.

Salary Cap only limits the player salary budget obviously. With the bazillions of Paul Allen, we should have coaches and suits out the arse.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Stubborness kills

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:03 am

moochman wrote:
When you look at the Pats the one thing that sticks out to me is superior coaching that searches for ways to attack that week's opponant instead of doing what we've always done, or relying on their star player. The Chin and Jr failed to do that and will watch the big game instead of coach in it.

I'd agree with this. BB was once asked about half-time adjustments, and he said something to the effect of--halftime?, I make adjustments after the first play. I'm not so sure all coaches do that, and Cowher didn't seem to do it yesterday. It was clear that he wanted to run the ball and thought he could. But the Pats brought seven people up to stop the Bus, and the game plan never changed. There were few vertical routes--like the Colts before them--to test Gay and Troy Brown. I was shocked.

Dance with what brung you, I guess, but I think he really should have adjusted.

On the other side of the ball, it seems the Pats found something in Pittsburgh's defense--the vertical route, exposing the deep soft middle in the zone--and attacked it repeatedly. They apparently didn't think they'd be able to run much, but did it consistently to keep the defense honest.

I was impressed.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:32 pm

The deep route on Pitt hasn't been a secret all year but still so many coaches didn't pay attention to it. BB/Weis doesn't miss that. Cowher was too predictable and I found myself proclaiming way too many times to the peeps around me that the Steelers have to throw on first down sometime if they even want to pretend to win and throw deep occasionally. Running outside a bit wouldn't hurt either. Cowher is generally a very good coach but he seems to have problems in big games. Pats would have won the game anyway even if Cowher had a better gameplan imo.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:03 pm

Rookies. You guys are talking about stubborness in a play or two. Wanna know who's stubborn? PARCELLS.

______

Naw... forget a FA CB when the market is rich with them! Pete Hunter will be fine. And if God forbid something happen to him, we have plenty of roster depth.

Vinny Testeverde is a solid starter... he's got a great arm, and he'll add a whole new dimension to our passing game (apparently, it's losing).

Well, we didn't get a FA CB, but there's still the draft! hurrah! We pick... Bruce Thorton, from Georgia, in the fourth round! ~ What do you mean, earlier pick? Naw... Thorton gives us great depth behind Hunter. (Thorton would later be benched behind a plethora of seventh-round rookies... Jaques Reeves, Lance Frazier and Nate Jones)

I'm fully confident that Torrin Tucker will be a solid starter, and be great for our RBs to run behind.

Eddie George is a solid pickup... he is still a starting quality back.

________

I rest my case...
Last edited by no1cowboysfan on Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:39 pm

Open and shut case on Parcells. The important thing is that you aren't bitter. }:-)
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mikeydavison » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:46 pm

I thought the Pats coaches made Cowher and co. look like a bunch of amateurs. BB and Romeo must have had a laugh after they stacked the line and watched the Steelers run right into it. The Steelers should have at least tried to make NE pay for putting so many guys in the box by going deep or using play action.

Who knows, maybe Martty Schottenheimer was helping Cowher call the game...
mikeydavison
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:36 am

I can't believe Schotty won Coach of the Year...

a crime against humanity, no doubt.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk