On-line schooling - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

On-line schooling

Moderator: Football Moderators

On-line schooling

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:35 am

I work for a major telecommunications company and I have the testing done to move up within the company. We are a union shop, and every time I bid on a job HR tells me that I don't have this training or that training. They can shoot me down even before the hiring supervisor sees my resume. The few times I have successfully been interviewed, I have not had enough seniority. You would think 11+ years would be enough.

Here is my dilemma. The company is offering to pay, up front, for an on-line class though Pace University. This class will give me an AS degree in telecommunications. The classes will take 2 1/2 to 3 years to complete. I would think a hands on class would be better than an on-line class.

As some of you know, I just this week found out that my wife is pregnant with our second child. I have always put being a father/husband before my wishes (watching games, playing FF, ect..) Also if I do move up to where I want to be, within 2 years I would be making $5+ more an hour. Should I do this?

Also I the last day to enroll is Jan 27th. :-o
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flockers » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:04 am

Would you be doing your regular job as well?
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:21 am

Flockers wrote:Would you be doing your regular job as well?

Yes working full time. Doing the classes at night and on the weekend.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:32 pm

I think the best thing to do would be to sit down look over you schedule and what not see if you can first fit these classes in every night. Then think if you want to be tied up nights and weekends when you have a newborn baby or your wife is in labor (im sure you can skip classes but still). But the Pro to this would be that you would have a higher paying job for your newborn child so probally a little bit better life style.

Aww thats all I got :-?
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:24 pm

ljthockey wrote:I think the best thing to do would be to sit down look over you schedule and what not see if you can first fit these classes in every night. Then think if you want to be tied up nights and weekends when you have a newborn baby or your wife is in labor (im sure you can skip classes but still). But the Pro to this would be that you would have a higher paying job for your newborn child so probally a little bit better life style.

The thing that gets me is there is no guanatee that this will get me the job I want. With the union senority is #1. I could get this degree and still not get the job I want for another 5 to 10 years.

Yes you can take semesters off. So that would be a possibility when that time comes.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:26 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
ljthockey wrote:I think the best thing to do would be to sit down look over you schedule and what not see if you can first fit these classes in every night. Then think if you want to be tied up nights and weekends when you have a newborn baby or your wife is in labor (im sure you can skip classes but still). But the Pro to this would be that you would have a higher paying job for your newborn child so probally a little bit better life style.

The thing that gets me is there is no guanatee that this will get me the job I want. With the union senority is #1. I could get this degree and still not get the job I want for another 5 to 10 years.

Yes you can take semesters off. So that would be a possibility when that time comes.

Well in that case maybe you should start online schooling in a few years after your family life calms down plus you might be a bit higher up in senority.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:29 pm

Well, I am currently taking an online course as well as a hands-on Linux course at ITT-Tech. My question to u is have u ever taken an online course before? I really do no think online is a good substitute for actually classroom and hands on teaching. It basically is that you have to teach yourself and that can get hard sometimes. But, since you will tied up with other things then I suggest you give it a shot. Completed classes = higher pay and that is what everyone wants. Give it a shot ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:17 pm

depends on what type of learner you are. I'm kinostetic, so a hands-on class is great. if you are visual or auditory, you could go either way.

I like the fact that you put fatherhood over football. although I'm far away from being a father, you are making the right choice.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TTTBone » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:43 pm

SeaWolf wrote:The thing that gets me is there is no guanatee that this will get me the job I want. With the union senority is #1. I could get this degree and still not get the job I want for another 5 to 10 years.

I think you still have to step-up and take the classes. It'll be tough time-wise, but your earning potential and ability to take care of your family finacially will be greatly enhanced.
The whole union/seniority thing is tough (I deal with it too), but I see this as an even further reason to continue your education. The more skills you aquire, the less you are locked into the system and your current job.
My best friend has a 4 year old son and an infant daughter, and he's gone back to law school (pretty much to escape the union/seniority system of his current job). He and his wife have been able to work it out pretty well.
I guess the best advice I have is, think long-term. Humans are very adaptable, and I think whatever sacrifices you make now will be tolerable, and pay-off in the long-term.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:43 pm

Hard to argue with paid in full education.

I've never had the opportunity to experience online course work however on any level.

As far as fitting it into your routine, only you know what you can manage and what you can't.

With the internet, you see a lot more people with families and full time careers tackling school. Do some generic searches through google and get a feel how others cope. You might even find some reviews for Pace.

;-D
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk