How valuable is Larry Johnson??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How valuable is Larry Johnson???

Moderator: Football Moderators

How valuable is Larry Johnson???

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:04 pm

OK guys - what are your thoughts on LJ's value in the upcoming year. Especially in keeper leagues. IMO, Priest is now injury prone, being 31 with knee problems. He could miss significant time and/or share carries with LJ. Blaylock seems to be headed elsewhere. Is LJ the heir to Priest's throne in KC? In other words, is he worth picking up in the hopes that he will be the feature back in KC in the future? I personally don't think he is that outstanding, but with KC's line he could be at least 70% of Priest (which is pretty dang good).
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:07 pm

It's a damn good idea to take a look at retaining him in a keeper league, especially if you can keep a substantial amount of players. After this season, it does look like he will be the RB of the future.

As you mentioned, the Priest is already 31. Priest is a special back, but has always been injury prone. His decline may be sudden and unexpected due to this reason.

IMO, Vermeil will stick to Priest as long as he's healthy and young enough to play well. Let's face it. Even though he got hurt last year, he looked anything but 31 before the injury. Vermeil has always preferred one starting back, so I don't see him giving LJ that many carries (enough for you to start him in a league) this season. However, I don't expect more than two years out of Priest...making LJ a good keeper candidate.
"The son of Bobby Bowden once again proved he's as predictable as a Julia Roberts' movie.

And upon further review, just as sappy, too."
-Naples Daily News
warrick95
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Trying to clog the leaky Bengals defense with plastic putty...

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:10 pm

LJ would be a good keeper if your willing to keep him through 1 or 2 years where he does nothing big.

Priest has 1 or 2 years left in him and during that time he should see the majority of the carries. Im guessin Johnson gets about 5 carries a game. I would keep him but only if your willing to have a waste of space for 2 years and then you should be rewarded with a stud.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:24 pm

it's very important to draft LJ w/ priest in a fantasy draft this year, becasue Priest will probably be out for at least a few weeks. knowing how much potential LJ has, when Priest is out, he is money.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:26 pm

I'd draft LJ even without Priest. I just have a very bad feeling about Holmes for next year...or maybe it's just indigestion. :-o But I definitely wouldn't mind having LJ as a number 3 back in a 12 team standard league.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:35 pm

I actually feel pretty good about Priest. He bounced back from injury before, granted lesser injury, and he's got plenty of gas in the tank to play 2 or so more great years. Forced rest for half this season helps his tank too. I'd try and nab LJ and you'll definitely have to take him earlier than possibly any handcuff in FF history. I also don't believe he's awesome but he is better than I thought he was before this season for sure.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Azrael » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:51 pm

There's 2 good points that were made here.

1. LJ is a good pick even without Priest. He's a good guy to take a chance on if you are one of those guys with a real sketchy 2nd back. If Priest goes down you've got an instant stud or tremendous trade bait. FF is about taking chances. You can guarantee that this guy is one of the first backups to fly off the board after everyone's got their starting positions filled so don't wait too long to draft him if you have Priest. He'll go earlier than you think.

2. Priest should still have alot left in the tank. Unlike most backs his age, he hasn't taken a real beating his whole career. He's only started full time the past 4 seasons.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:18 pm

Azrael wrote:2. Priest should still have alot left in the tank. Unlike most backs his age, he hasn't taken a real beating his whole career. He's only started full time the past 4 seasons.

Still, he's in his thirties, which is tough physically even if you're a 30 yeaar old rookie. Then human body ages, and for a football player, especially a runnignback, a 30 year old could have the health of a 50 year old. Priest has been battling several injuries, and football players get so beaten up that it's hard to escape gettting hurt just due to your past.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk