Oscar Nominees!!?? Where's the love?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Oscar Nominees!!?? Where's the love??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby awwchrist » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:34 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I haven't seen all of them but I've got to tell you that "Finding Neverland" is a great flick. Depp is awesome.

10 points admitting you saw it.

Deduct 10 if you weren't coerced by a female.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:44 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I haven't seen all of them but I've got to tell you that "Finding Neverland" is a great flick. Depp is awesome.

But I hear that Jamie Foxx is going to win for best actor - too bad.

Too bad?!?! Why do u say that. He had an absolute amazing performance as "Ray" and he was really good in Collateral. I think he really stepped up and took his acting career to the next level.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Demented Avenger » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:01 pm

It seems to me that the peoples' love for Ray Charles and the fact that he died is the main reason Foxx will win.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:50 pm

awwchrist wrote:

10 points admitting you saw it.

Deduct 10 if you weren't coerced by a female.

I've been dragged to many things. For every Under the Tuscan Sun I go see we get to go to 4 Jet Li movies or Raptor games - so it's a good bargain.

And every once in a while there is the rare Finding Neverland or even, Mama Mia - yes I admit it, I enjoyed Mama Mia. So there.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:01 pm

Oh.. so THAT'S why all of the females on my list have something about "finding neverland" on their MSN name. :-b It's a movie!
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:44 pm

Turnip wrote:Nothing for Garden State? I thought that was a good movie.

Agreed, Portman and Co. were awesome in that film. Also, just saw Collateral last night, great film. For those of you that want to see a slick action drama, Collateral is awesome. I even liked Cruise's performance, and I don't like him much at all.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:52 pm

J2thez929 wrote:

But I hear that Jamie Foxx is going to win for best actor - too bad.

Too bad?!?! Why do u say that. He had an absolute amazing performance as "Ray" and he was really good in Collateral. I think he really stepped up and took his acting career to the next level.

i agree...foxx always has annoyed me in past years, but it seems like he is maturing as an actor. he played great parts in those movies ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:18 am

deluxe_247 wrote:
i agree...foxx always has annoyed me in past years, but it seems like he is maturing as an actor. he played great parts in those movies ;-D

There's only so many roles Hollywood can give Denzel.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:08 pm

I would like the Oscars to loosen up a little, I've enjoyed plenty of "Academy" movies (City of God is awesome), but there are definitely mainstream goodies out there that deserve some respect.

Still, I wouldn't call this year particularly weak, and I wouldn't call the nominees surprising either.

Passion of the Christ may have been moving, but it was VERY controversial and despised by some. A movie with that kind of reaction has little chance to make any Academy noise.

Maybe its just me, but I think Spiderman (1 and 2) is overrated, average movies that don't deserve the hype at all.

I do agree that animated movies don't get enough credit, although I would never have expected Shrek 2 to get a big nomination regardless. I saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it, but just about every critic has said much better things about the Incredibles, and when was the last time a sequel was nominated?

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby smackthefirst » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:25 pm

Theres always some snubs every year, but this year isn't that bad. POC was a good flick, but the controversy obviously killed its chances. Sadly, im not sure how well it would have done if it had not been as controversial and gotten the media attention that it did.

Foxx on the other hand should be given his just credit IMO. I can't remember the name of the made for TV movie that had him as the leader of the Crips or the Bloods. If any of you saw it, he had another great performance in that one. Everyone that I know that has seen Ray has said it was a great movie, and I agree.

Foxx appears to have come into his own so to speak and should be offered many more key roles in the years to come.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk