Will Owens play in the superbowl? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Owens play in the superbowl?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will Owens play in the superbowl?

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:37 pm

Just wanted others thoughts on TO playing in the big dance, and how effective he will be?

Personally i think he will play mainly as a decoy and to throw off the Pats gameplaning.

THoughts???

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:40 pm

I dont think he wil play or even suit up for that matter. I would like to see him play though it is going to be funny if Philly wins how big of an ego hit that will be to TO knowing that the eagles didnt need him in the playoffs to win it all
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:45 pm

Owens will suit up whether healthy or not. The Eagles will use him as a decoy early on until the Pats figure out he can't run routes. That is the worst case scenario.

Owens claims he's ahead of schedule in which he could've made it and that even his doctor is surprised by the recovery. TO reportedly did some jogging and catching in practice, and will be testing running routes this week.

I'm waiting for TO's doctor to way in, or reporters to write about TO making cuts in practice, otherwise I'm skeptical that its all a smokescreen. But we've got two weeks to wait.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:48 pm

maddog60 wrote:Owens will suit up whether healthy or not. The Eagles will use him as a decoy early on until the Pats figure out he can't run routes. That is the worst case scenario.

Owens claims he's ahead of schedule in which he could've made it and that even his doctor is surprised by the recovery. TO reportedly did some jogging and catching in practice, and will be testing running routes this week.

I'm waiting for TO's doctor to way in, or reporters to write about TO making cuts in practice, otherwise I'm skeptical that its all a smokescreen. But we've got two weeks to wait.

I know we cant trust these words but Mcnabb says there is no way at all Owens will be a decoy. In Donovans words if he suits up he will catch the ball.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PackerAttack84 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:49 pm

I don't think he will play that much even if he does play. I don't see him being a factor in the game, he's better of being a cheerleader on the sideline.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:42 pm

ljthockey wrote:I know we cant trust these words but Mcnabb says there is no way at all Owens will be a decoy. In Donovans words if he suits up he will catch the ball.

McNabb could be helping with the smokescreen if it is one. Or it could just be that obviously he feels TO is such an athlete if they man can suit up, he's a reliable target (moreso than pinkston at least).

It's still going to come down to the doctor weighing and TO practicing. If I were Andy Reid and I got any indication TO was able to play, I'd do my best to keep everyone guessing up until game-time.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:22 pm

Without TO the eagles have a next to zero chance of winning. he'l be in no matter how bad he is, and I'm guessign he'll be liek moss in week 17 or whatever (2/70/2). they'll throw a short screen to him in the red zone, and he'll be picking up shorts for TD's, nto catching long balls.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:31 pm

how can anyone say "they have no chance"?

the defense, like it or lump it shut down the number two passing team in the nfl, the number one rushing team. they were second in the league in sacks, and have 3 pro bowlers in their secondary. tied with the pats for points allowed (because the eagles sat the last two games) their defense is dominant.

mcnabb has to be on, but he is a disciplined runner -- something they haven't faced ina while -- if ever. (mcnabb is much different than the injured person they faced last year).

not saying the eagles WILL win, but comeon. everyone acts like this is some foregone conclusion. but the eagles rarely turn the ball over, play stout defense and have good coaching with good qb -- they certainly have a shot. no one gave the panthers any shot either. they lost by three? so the pats won two superbowls by a total of 6 points, now they are gonna roll? please.

the spread is smaller than what the pats faced for number one ...
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:50 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:Without TO the eagles have a next to zero chance of winning. he'l be in no matter how bad he is, and I'm guessign he'll be liek moss in week 17 or whatever (2/70/2). they'll throw a short screen to him in the red zone, and he'll be picking up shorts for TD's, nto catching long balls.

Yeah, like the Vikes and the Falcon were going to romp the Eagles without TO. First TO is going to be a cancer, which he doesn't become, then the team can't live without him.

I'll admit, it will be difficult for the Eagles to score without TO, and against Belichik, even with him, but its not like the Patriots can abuse any real weakness of the Eagles to score themselves.

Do they pass? I think not. Brady is a great QB, but his WRs against the best secondary in the league will look much different than it did against the horrific Colts, and the much weaker Pitt. secondary.

Do they run? Dillon is a great back, but watching TJ Duckett get stood up by Trotter and the Eagles just controlling the line of scrimmage, it would be a tough battle, no better than the Eagles screening to Westbrook all day.

So how do the Eagles let up points? Turnovers? But they're one of the best at not turning the ball over.

As much as NE's defense must be giving Reid fits, Belichik is trying to figure out a way to score against Johnson, and he'll be just as frustrated.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:55 pm

the whole thing is ridiculous maddog.

everyone always points to the facts -- but the facts are that the stats support that this should be a good game or at least a better one than is being expected

the eagles did shut down offensive powershouses in green bay and vikings this year, they have beaten the best rush team that possesed a stout defense (although I think they were a tad fraudulent, but then again, I thought big ben was going down too -- their d is semi overrated, as it doesn't have to be on the field that much)

but all that gets forgotten now. no one remembers that the carolina game was a barnburner last year. or that the tuck rule saved their ass, and they won by 3 against the rams. not to take anything away -- but the visceral reaction is "pats dynasty -- BLOWOUT" and that ain't my impression at all. I may be a homer, but I think there are some real reasons to think the birds have a shot.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk