Will Owens play in the superbowl? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Owens play in the superbowl?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:37 pm

Might as well confirm what we already suspected... :-)

AP via Yahoo! News (excerpted) wrote:Owens May Ignore Doctor for Super Bowl

Philadelphia Eagles head trainer Rick Burkholder said Wednesday that Owens plans to continue rehabbing his injured ankle in an attempt to suit up against the New England Patriots (news) on Feb. 6.

Dr. Mark Myerson, the surgeon who operated on the All-Pro receiver in December, said Tuesday he would not clear Owens to play in the Super Bowl.

"We understand Dr. Myerson's point of view. It's just that our risk-reward is different than his risk-reward," Burkholder said. "He has great risk in clearing Terrell to play and no reward. We think there's some risk and we think there's great reward, so right now we're going to progress with his rehab."

Owens was at the Eagles' practice facility for rehab work Wednesday, but the team said he wouldn't be made available to reporters.

On Monday, before hearing Myerson's bad news, Owens said: "Spiritually I've been healed and I believe that I'll be out there on that field Sunday, regardless of what anybody says."

Owens was told after surgery that he had only an outside chance of returning for the Super Bowl, which was 6 1/2 weeks away at the time. But he rehabbed vigorously, hoping to help Philadelphia win its first NFL championship since 1960.

But after a checkup Tuesday in Baltimore, Myerson said that while he's pleased with Owens' recuperation, the operation requires a recovery period of eight to 10 weeks. Myerson added that any attempt to accelerate the rehabilitation process poses the same risk for injury.

"We will continue to see whether he can jog and see how he does day in and day out, see if he can change direction," Burkholder said Wednesday.

"If he passes all those tests, then we'll start talking about practice time. Right now, the game isn't even in our vision right now. If he has any setbacks in his rehab, then the whole idea of playing in the Super Bowl is probably off."

Quarterback Donovan McNabb and other Eagles have said they don't need Owens to beat the defending champion Patriots, who are 7-point favorites (sorry, I didn't know the line before :-b ).

"We can win it without T.O. But, if he is there, we can win it with him and we are definitely going to try to win it without him," McNabb said Monday.

"I think he will be back," he added. "But, if he can't be back, we have to continue this ship home."
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby water boy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:48 pm

owens won't play if anything he'll suit up and try to be a decoy.
water boy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:53 pm

people, the writing is on the wall with this one. he's playing. they wouldn't bother drawing the distinction if he wasn't.

The doctor is removing himself from the process. I am sure that owens has a sense of the potential career ramifications, and I doubt he would play if it could end him. if it means, he plays, helps the team win, then has to rehab for another 5 months -- but without career harm, he will take that route.

say what you will about him, but the guy wants to be in the game. period.

he is playing, and I highly doubt it will be solely as a decoy.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:43 pm

eaglesrule wrote:people, the writing is on the wall with this one. he's playing. they wouldn't bother drawing the distinction if he wasn't.

The doctor is removing himself from the process. I am sure that owens has a sense of the potential career ramifications, and I doubt he would play if it could end him. if it means, he plays, helps the team win, then has to rehab for another 5 months -- but without career harm, he will take that route.

say what you will about him, but the guy wants to be in the game. period.

he is playing, and I highly doubt it will be solely as a decoy.

can you ask your crystal ball the winning lottery numbers? How can you say in such a definitive tine that Owens will play? Most people here seem to be saying "I dont think" or "I do think" You leave no room for discussion.

My theory is that the Eagles are blowing smoke so that the Pats have to prepare to face TO. Im not even too worried about it. We shut down the Indy receivers and the Pittsburgh receivers. Sure Owens is huge, but his supporting cast isnt nearly as good as Harrisons or Wards.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:56 pm

portisfan24 wrote:My theory is that the Eagles are blowing smoke so that the Pats have to prepare to face TO. Im not even too worried about it. We shut down the Indy receivers and the Pittsburgh receivers. Sure Owens is huge, but his supporting cast isnt nearly as good as Harrisons or Wards.

I'm guessing you didn't look at the game stats. Hmm, Indy had 17 passing first downs. Yeah, that sounds like shutting them down alright. What New England did was stop the run, not the pass. And then proceeded to keep Indy off the field by running and controlling the clock.

And Pittsbrugh, despite how talented those WRs are, if you're going to compare Cowher's playcalling to Reid's and Big Ben's performance to McNabb's level of play, well you need to watch some football. They didn't contain Ward at all with his 100 yard 5 catch game, but once again this was a rout due to turnovers. Big Ben threw 3 picks, if you think McNabb will gift wrap the game like that, you haven't watched enough football.

But by all means, go on believing that that resourceful but patchwork secondary can stop anything. Go on believing the Pats are the invincible football team of doom that can easily squelch the Eagles because they hail from the NFC. And don't to ignore the similarities between this supposedly incivincible team and a supposedly invincible Rams team from a few years ago.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:46 pm

Looks like owens will play, I think that he will, the guy is a competitor and who knows when the next time that he will have a chance to play in the superbowl. TOs way too much of a glory hound not to play

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs0 ... id=1977199

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:51 pm

yea, my crystal ball says that local signs have been nothing but positive on owens' recovery and he has said all along that he will be back for the super bowl. they guy is a phsycial specimen, a comeptitor and an attention hog to such a degree, that he wouldn't miss it.

he was running and cutting fine today and will practice next week.

maybe I don't have a crystal ball, but I serisouly doubt reid would thinka smokescreen would work on belicheck anyway. its obviously not wise to tip your hand, but let's be logical here.

what does owens have to lose? if his career was at stake, they would sit him down -- this team is built to be back. if it means he just has more rehab in the off-season, but no lasting damage, why not? from what I hear, it isn't the ankle that is the problem per se, but the pain from the broken leg. if he can take the pain, and can support his weight, he can go on it.

its not unheard of to play with a broken bone, hell his qb did it against arizona.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:54 pm

its not unheard of to play with a broken bone, hell his qb did it against arizona.

Didnt Henry do it last year for a few games?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:59 pm

maddog60 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:My theory is that the Eagles are blowing smoke so that the Pats have to prepare to face TO. Im not even too worried about it. We shut down the Indy receivers and the Pittsburgh receivers. Sure Owens is huge, but his supporting cast isnt nearly as good as Harrisons or Wards.

I'm guessing you didn't look at the game stats. Hmm, Indy had 17 passing first downs. Yeah, that sounds like shutting them down alright. What New England did was stop the run, not the pass. And then proceeded to keep Indy off the field by running and controlling the clock.

0 passing tds sounds pretty good to me. Indys run game was shut down a lot this year, but that never stopped the Colts. WHo cares about yards and first downs? 3 points allowed is 3 points allowed. The stats never look good for the Patriots. They just arnet that kind of team.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:04 pm

yea, he did too. no one is saying that it is easy, but you get out there, get the adrenaline going, you can do it. he is gonna feel like crap though after.

the one thing I can't stand in all this is how some are painting him as "selfish" is that not the biggest perversion of the media?

anyone else is heroic.

What do you play for? The super Bowl. If owens is willing to do it, what business of it is anyones? Does anyone think with how outspoken he is, that he would just let a team push him into a career decision he didn't want? I don't.

Just don't see how it is selfish for the team's biggest wr threat to want to come back and help his team win a super bowl -- which after all, is why he was brought in to do.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk