The Wheels on the bus might not go round and round - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Wheels on the bus might not go round and round

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Wheels on the bus might not go round and round

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:49 pm

Alright not to many topics up right now so I figured Id start this one.

Do you guys think that the Bettis will return next season? If so how big will his role be?

Comments on Hines Wards interview in tears?
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:14 pm

the bus has run otu of gas. he won't be back. too much of a personal risk for him IMO.

I didn't see Hines, btu he was really in tears??
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:18 pm

I would have liked to have seen him go out a champion, but that just wasn't in the cards this season. I think there is a decent chance he'll come back. A lot depends on how he feels about the Steelers' chances next season and also how much tread he has left on his tires.

Being drafted in 1993 seems so far away from where we are now. Most every guy drafted in his RB class is retired (Robert Smith, Natrone Means, Adrian Murrell), flunked out (Reggie Brooks, Roosevelt Potts, Ronald Moore), or on their way out (Garrison Hearst), so nobody would be shocked if he decided he's too banged up to come back. I think he still has a fire in him and a longing to win the ring and the Steelers should be strong contenders again next season. With a little more seasoning at QB, Roethlisberger should be even better, giving the Steelers a great shot at winning the Super Bowl in 2005.

If he does come back for another run at the ring, I doubt it will be in the featured role he was in this season. My bets are on him coming back in a limited role. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:21 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I would have liked to have seen him go out a champion, but that just wasn't in the cards this season. I think there is a decent chance he'll come back. A lot depends on how he feels about the Steelers' chances next season and also how much tread he has left on his tires.

Being drafted in 1993 seems so far away from where we are now. Most every guy drafted in his RB class is retired (Robert Smith, Natrone Means, Adrian Murrell), flunked out (Reggie Brooks, Roosevelt Potts, Ronald Moore), or on their way out (Garrison Hearst), so nobody would be shocked if he decided he's too banged up to come back. I think he still has a fire in him and a longing to win the ring and the Steelers should be strong contenders again next season. With a little more seasoning at QB, Roethlisberger should be even better, giving the Steelers a great shot at winning the Super Bowl in 2005.

If he does come back for another run at the ring, I doubt it will be in the featured role he was in this season. My bets are on him coming back in a limited role. ;-D

the average life span of an NFL RB is 3.5 years, so I already think he's way overdue even though he's basically like an emmitt smith. I'd liek to see him back to move up on the all-timerushign list, but I just don't see it happening. this will really help duce staley.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ljthockey » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:27 pm

If that 3.5 years stat is true that cant be for starting backs just runingbacks in general but I see that hard to believe.

But yeah Hines Ward was crying during his interview.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:30 pm

I think he comes back. He had great energy with a lesser workload early in the year and it worked great as he was featured later on. The same could still work next year with Staley getting somewhat more of the pie. Bettis is a great goaline rusher and enjoys playing a lot. I agree it will depend on what he thinks of the team's chances and if Plax leaves as well as one or two defenders then he may opt to retire but I think he enjoyed his renaissance enough to come back for at least one more year. Why not?
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mtryanks12 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:01 pm

ljthockey wrote:If that 3.5 years stat is true that cant be for starting backs just runingbacks in general but I see that hard to believe.

it's just for RB's in general. the stat is pretty scary though. and the stat is true, I heard it from my neighbor, mike golic as in the NFL live host, former sunday night countdown host, former defensive end on the eagles and cardinals, and dearest teammate of reggie white, and espn radio host (mornings on "mike & mike." also on 6 PM sportscenter a lot as NFl analyist.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby winjr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:29 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:the bus has run otu of gas. he won't be back. too much of a personal risk for him IMO.

I didn't see Hines, btu he was really in tears??

Yeah, it was really something to see. Very emotional. This morning's edition of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette ran a picture of Hines, tears streaming down his face, on the front page.

Man, I don't know about the Bus being low on gas. I'd be more surprised if he didn't come back next year. Heck, he doesn't have to go through the hell that's training camp, doesn't have to practice during the season, ran great this year, didn't wear down, scored more TD's than in any other year, was a super-critical player to have when Duce went down, and was resigned at the beginning of the year to playing a bit role behind Duce and took a huge paycut just for the chance to play. He was the heart and soul of the team, and one of the reasons the team went as far as they did. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he comes back next year.
winjr
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby defianthart » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:56 am

mtryanks12 wrote:
ljthockey wrote:If that 3.5 years stat is true that cant be for starting backs just runingbacks in general but I see that hard to believe.

it's just for RB's in general. the stat is pretty scary though. and the stat is true, I heard it from my neighbor, mike golic as in the NFL live host, former sunday night countdown host, former defensive end on the eagles and cardinals, and dearest teammate of reggie white, and espn radio host (mornings on "mike & mike." also on 6 PM sportscenter a lot as NFl analyist.

someones just dropping a name
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:02 am

I too am going to project he comes back for one more year.

He was primarily supposed to be a backup to Staley, but Duce was hurt a bit. I think he can be a great contributor and part time back.

I think seeing how close the Steelers were this year, he gives it one more shot. But what do I know.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk