Illinois at Wisconsin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Illinois at Wisconsin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Illinois at Wisconsin

Postby TTTBone » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:01 pm

The Illini put their 19 game win streak on the line tonight against the Badgers who have won a record 38 in a row at the Kohl Center. Illinois has had this game circled since the schedules were released.
Top-ranked Illinois got just what it wanted -- a chance to end Wisconsin's 38-game home winning streak.

Illinois coach Bruce Weber noticed last week that some of his players were quietly cheering for Wisconsin in its narrow 62-59 home win over Michigan State.

"I heard a couple guys under their breath say they wanted Wisconsin to beat Michigan State,'' Weber said, "so they'd have the chance to be the ones to break the streak.''

The Illini (19-0, 5-0 Big Ten) look to snap the longest home winning streak in the country and remain undefeated as they visit the 18th-ranked Badgers (13-3, 4-1) on Tuesday.

Illinois is off to the best start in school history and has been ranked No. 1 for eight consecutive weeks.

However, coach Bruce Weber has claimed that his team should be considered an underdog against Wisconsin. The Badgers have not lost at home since Dec. 4, 2002, when Wake Forest beat them 90-80, and have won by an average of 20.4 points per game during the streak.

"We don't talk about it, never have,'' said coach Bo Ryan, who has a 53-2 home record at Wisconsin. "Sure as I'm sitting here in a red jacket, I have never once said anything in the locker room, outside the locker room, to our guys about a streak.''

Only five games have been decided by single digits during the streak, including the win over Michigan State. The Badgers scored the game's final 11 points to rebound from an eight-point deficit with less than two minutes to play.

Illinois has lost five straight at Wisconsin, but Wisconsin is just 1-14 all-time against No. 1 teams. The Illini are one of only three remaining unbeaten teams, along with No. 2 Duke and No. 8 Boston College.

"The reason Illinois is so tough is that they've got seven guys that can knock down some shots. But we just need to approach this like all our other games,'' Badgers senior forward Mike Wilkinson said. "For them to say they're the underdogs, it would be hard to be believe from my standpoint.

"They're a great team, but we have the big home winning streak, so it should be a hotly contested game.''

The Illini beat No. 23 Iowa 73-68 in overtime on Thursday. Luther Head scored 25 points, including Illinois' only field goal in the extra period.

Head, who went on a 12-2 run all by himself in the first half, has led the Illini in scoring in four straight games.

"Luther was huge,'' said Weber, whose team has won 15 straight conference games, including a school record-tying eight straight on the road. "He just did a lot of big things for us.''

The Illini shot a season-worst 33 percent and were 6-of-28 from the 3-point line.

The Badgers beat Michigan 72-61 on Saturday for their eighth win in nine games. Fifth-year senior Mike Wilkinson had 28 points and a career-high 15 rebounds, becoming just the second player, along with Claude Gregory, in school history with at least 1,250 points and 700 rebounds.

Wilkinson, who went 9 of 11 from the field and 8 of 10 from the free throw line, was named Big Ten player of the week for the second straight week.

"Great effort, great performance, magnificent job? Yes.'' Ryan said. "That's as good as I've seen.''

Illinois leads the all-time series between the schools 102-68, but trails 50-36 in games played at Wisconsin.

Should be a great game.
Go Badgers!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DUKE » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:13 pm

Yep, this game should be very good. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see Wisconsin knock them off. Iowa couldn't buy a bucket and sent Illinois into overtime in their last game.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby CC » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:58 pm

I think Wisconsin has a good chance, never underestimate homecourt advantage in college basketball.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:18 am

Illini Win!
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dave416 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:11 am

DUKE wrote:Yep, this game should be very good. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see Wisconsin knock them off. Iowa couldn't buy a bucket and sent Illinois into overtime in their last game.

That being said, Illinois couldn't buy one either.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:12 pm

The Badgers still get to play you at Assembly Hall, and yes we know its harder and this time tell us to bring our white jersey, it was one crapy game to watch orange versus red.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:36 am

PackerAttack84 wrote:The Badgers still get to play you at Assembly Hall

Yeah. Good luck with that!!
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PackerAttack84 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:31 pm

I never said we were going to come in there and beat you, I just said we got a slim chance of hopefully winning.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby kevinoc81 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:09 am

PackerAttack84 wrote:I never said we were going to come in there and beat you, I just said we got a slim chance of hopefully winning.

OK. I was just kind of busting your chops cause we ended your streak. Of course you guys have a chance of winning, but I just don't wee it happening at Assembly Hall. Who knows? If Iowa can take us to overtime there....
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Return to College Football