Try this riddle out - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Try this riddle out

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby citybirds27 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:36 pm

logan wrote:
knapplc wrote:I'm pretty sure I've posted this one here before but at the moment I can't find it, so here goes:

A man was in court to give testimony in a trial. He was determined not to cooperate, so when the prosecutor asked him what his relationship to the defendant was, he answered with this:

Brothers and sisters have I none,
But this man's father was my father's son.

What was the witness' relationship to the defendant?

nephew

defendants father is the witness' brother making the defendant his nephew

Brothers and sisters have I none.....
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:37 pm

citybirds27 wrote:
logan wrote:
knapplc wrote:I'm pretty sure I've posted this one here before but at the moment I can't find it, so here goes:

A man was in court to give testimony in a trial. He was determined not to cooperate, so when the prosecutor asked him what his relationship to the defendant was, he answered with this:

nephew

yeah well there is that :-[

although he did say was and not is. perhaps he does not consider himself having a brother anymore as he has passed on. hence no brothers have i but i do have this nephew.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby citybirds27 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:46 pm

logan wrote:
citybirds27 wrote:
logan wrote:

nephew

yeah well there is that :-[

although he did say was and not is. perhaps he does not consider himself having a brother anymore as he has passed on. hence no brothers have i but i do have this nephew.

Good point, I think the answer is going to explain why th are in the court.
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby logan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:49 pm

ok so after some indepth thinking during my shower the answer hit me and then i felt equally stupid for not getting it in the first place. so anyways here it goes.

the witness' relationship to the defendant is that the witness is the defendant's father. hence "this man's (ie the defendant) father (ie the witness) was my father's (who had no ther children except the witness) son."
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:08 pm

logan wrote:ok so after some indepth thinking during my shower the answer hit me and then i felt equally stupid for not getting it in the first place. so anyways here it goes.

the witness' relationship to the defendant is that the witness is the defendant's father. hence "this man's (ie the defendant) father (ie the witness) was my father's (who had no ther children except the witness) son."

Logan is a GENIUS!!!! :-] :-]

The defendant is the son of the witness.

This man (referring to the defendant) is MY FATHER'S son - so we know the defendant is the grandson of the witness' father. Since the witness had no brothers or sisters, the only way he can be the witness' father's grandson is if he's the witness' son.

Good job, everyone, and especially Logan! Lots of good thinking involved with this one.

My grandpa told me this riddle way back when I was just a little knappl ("c" wouldn't come into the picture for about ten more years) and it took me almost a whole week to figure it out.

It's one of those things about him that I remember to this day. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:04 pm

knapplc wrote:
logan wrote:ok so after some indepth thinking during my shower the answer hit me and then i felt equally stupid for not getting it in the first place. so anyways here it goes.

Logan is a GENIUS!!!! :-] :-]

The defendant is the son of the witness.

This man (referring to the defendant) is MY FATHER'S son - so we know the defendant is the grandson of the witness' father. Since the witness had no brothers or sisters, the only way he can be the witness' father's grandson is if he's the witness' son.

Good job, everyone, and especially Logan! Lots of good thinking involved with this one.

My grandpa told me this riddle way back when I was just a little knappl ("c" wouldn't come into the picture for about ten more years) and it took me almost a whole week to figure it out.

It's one of those things about him that I remember to this day. ;-D

so i'm guessing this works like 80's trivia and it's my turn to pull out a riddle. gimme a few and i'll post one up.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby logan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:13 pm

ok as i'm not going to sift through all the pages i hope this one was no already given..here goes.

"Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:22 pm

logan wrote:ok as i'm not going to sift through all the pages i hope this one was no already given..here goes.

"Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."

Does 'agree' count?

:-b :-B

Isn't one of the words actually 'gry'? I have no idea what it means if it actually is a word, but I think I've heard this before.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby citybirds27 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:01 pm

logan wrote:ok as i'm not going to sift through all the pages i hope this one was no already given..here goes.

Please tell me before I got to sleep :-B
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:25 am

Logan, is the answer you're looking for "language?"

There are only three words in the English language. "Language" is the third word.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk