The Best players in the NFL at EVERY position! Unbiased list - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Best players in the NFL at EVERY position! Unbiased list

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MCG321 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:40 pm

DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:Priest vs Ladanian

I am not as impressed by tomlinson as every one else. I watched him maybe four times this year, and he consistently seemed to have 75 yards rushing, 60 yds receiving, and 1 td. He did not break 100 yards against the jets either time they played, with curtis martin outplaying him both times. Although he was injured for half of the year, priest holmes showed how good he is in the first half of the year. He seems to get better with age. I think that if he stays healthy next year he will have more rushing yards and more TDs than tomlinson.

Are you seriously using 75 rushing, 60 receiving, and 1 TD as a strike against LT? If he had 135 total yards and 1 TD every game, he'd end up with 2160 total yards and 16 TDs, which is damn good.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:02 am

Hotl vs. Owens: If you're now saying you want Holt because he's younger for the team you're going to draft, then it's even more ridiculous that C-Mart is #3...he's old. Same with Muhammad. Your reasons for one pick contradict your other picks.[/quote]

I ranked Holt over Owens because I think he is the better player. It is just that everyone is giving me such a hard time about this pick that I had to use that excuse, so I wont anymore. I chose Holt over TO because he is a better player.

Curtis is old, 31, but he is still better than edgerrin james, who is able to run because defenses are so worried about peyton manning. He led the league in rushing, and is extremely consistent.

The one pick I think I might change is Muhammed, even though he really impressed me this season. I think Joe Horn is the #5 and Muhammed is honorable mention.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:09 am

The idea for this list was not to put out my "top 5 favorite players" as one guy said. However, I wanted to rank players based on there last few seasons, with an emphasis on this last one, and use these statistics to determine who would be the best player if a new season were to start right now. I am not ranking simply who had the best year last year, or else Muhammed would be #1 or 2 and kris jenkins wouldnt make his DT list.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Evolution » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:35 am

I only have one comment for Disgruntled Jets Fan, as people have obviously echoed what I am thinking.

You cannot measure intangibles in a statistic, which is the primary basis of your analysis. Hines Ward's blocking ability is not a statistic. Leadership is not a statistic. Priest has great stats, but look at what kind of a line he runs behind. If your Holt argument about age vs TO is applicable in that situation, why is it not applicable in LT2 vs Priest? That, my friend, is called hypocracy, and it is easy to see.

Also, you want to take away receiving yards and ability in the assesment of a RB? Tell me, would you not like have a double-threat like Marshall Faulk in his prime to help spread out the defense through the run and pass? That's plain stupid, it's like taking away rushing statistics from QBs like McNabb, Culpepper and Vick.

Different players bring different intangibles to the table, it is not fair to just take those skills and toss them out the window and say the best player is the one with the best statistics.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:54 am

Ok, once again I am going to say that I choose torry holt because I think he is better than TO. Nothing about age, I have thrown out that argument.

I know that stats dont include the intangibles, but I still dont see Hines Ward as a top 5 receiver. I think the other guys I have listed are better.

Priest holmes is better than ladanian tomlinson. tomlinson averaged under 4 ypc this year and thats not so good.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:10 am

LT has also been bogged down my groin injury all year. Did you factor that in?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:23 am

No one in the NFL is injury free all year. Everyone has to deal with minor injuries throughout the year.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:18 am

I ranked Holt over Owens because I think he is the better player. It is just that everyone is giving me such a hard time about this pick that I had to use that excuse, so I wont anymore. I chose Holt over TO because he is a better player.

You ranked Holt ahead of owens because you don't know what you are talking about.

BY ANY METRIC you use, Owens is better -- statistically, it isn't even close. So there goes that. In terms of value to his team, I really don't think anyone can make a reaosnable case for holt.

Owens statistics BLOW away holts, period. Owens blocks better than holt. Owens is more fearsome to a defense than Holt. Owens, for all his faults has really stepped up in the leadership/attitude department for this eagles team.

Christ, not that he ever ever would win it, but every now and then you would see owens name as an honorable mention pick for MVP this year. You never saw that with holt.

The only argument you have is on age, and that's it. And given owens' fitness habits and the example of jerry rice, I don't really think he will be in decline for 3 years or so. So that is a weak argument too.

I just don't think anyway you dice it, you make much sense on that one.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:21 am

"Ok, once again I am going to say that I choose torry holt because I think he is better than TO. Nothing about age, I have thrown out that argument. "

ok, please tell us WHY then. You haven't made any case, let alone a reasonable one, other than blindly asseritng it as fact.

I think brian westbrook is better than LT.

With your reasoning I can just ignore any statsitcal evidence to the contrary and just state my opinion and feel that it will be respected.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:42 am

DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, Peyton Manning is the best QB in the NFL. Is anyone going to pick Marino over Bradshaw (besides Steeler fans)? I doubt it. Manning had bad games the last 3 years in the playoffs against the jets in 03, pats in 04 and 05. However, he dominated every secondary he faced in the regular season and will eventually get over the hump and win the superbowl.

OK, so Peyton is the best QB in the league unless he is playing a good defense in the playoffs, huh? Good to hear that.

Seems to me that you think being a good quarterback is all about passing--throw ball from point A to point B. If that's your opinion, fine, take Manning and Marino. I'll take Brady and Montana.

Football is the ultimate team sport, and the quarterback is the defacto captain of the team. He must be a good leader to succeed. His whole job is to manage the game. Manning does not do this well. He complains like crazy when his wide receivers drop balls, he makes stupid throws when he's pressured, he goes into motion after bringing his hands under center. He gets rattled against good defenses. Manning is not a good leader; sure, he can throw the ball brilliantly, as long as he's playing the Broncos of the world, but put him up against a good, disciplined defense, and he makes mistakes.

Brady, on the other hand, doesn't. He smoked the best defense in the game, he's had two game-winning Super Bowl drives when everyone thought (at least in one of them) that they would kneel and take it to overtime.

Give me a leader with great skills over just a great passer every day of the week.

Edit: Typos
Last edited by Transmogrifier on Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk