The Best players in the NFL at EVERY position! Unbiased list - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Best players in the NFL at EVERY position! Unbiased list

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:47 am

eaglesrule wrote:The New Dynasty:

Held the best offense to 3 points -- a sissy dome team with no game plan, outside in the snow

Scored 41 on the best defense -- with the help of a rookie quarterback and his teams four turnovers

The dynasty isn't official yet ...

You know, I take pride that my sig is being ripped on.

;-)

Just one question: What will the excuse be if the Eagles lose? TO was hurt? Good thing the Pats have had their starting CBs and their best D-line man throughout the playoffs.... oh, wait...
Brady: a "very mediocre QB" - no1cowboysfan

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:16 am

good post trans ... I agree almost wholeheartedly.

But if brady "smoked the best defense in the game" I'll eat my foot. He beat the best defense in the game. But then again, the pats did have 4 turnovers. At the end of the day, the pats beat a tema led by a rookie qb and a distincltively uncreative, one dimensional coach.

Incidentally, the Steelers had the best scroing defense only because the eagles yielded it. It also helps when your rush attack keeps the D off the field.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:04 pm

eaglesrule wrote:good post trans ... I agree almost wholeheartedly.

But if brady "smoked the best defense in the game" I'll eat my foot. He beat the best defense in the game. But then again, the pats did have 4 turnovers. At the end of the day, the pats beat a tema led by a rookie qb and a distincltively uncreative, one dimensional coach.

Incidentally, the Steelers had the best scroing defense only because the eagles yielded it. It also helps when your rush attack keeps the D off the field.

I assume you mean the Steelers had the four turnovers?

Look at Brady's career stats in the playoffs:

Notice that his passer rating has increased (on average) every year he's been in the playoffs? And more importantly, it increases in every game in each of his playoff appearances? The guy ratchets up his performance as he faces tougher competition. It is no coincidence that NE wins with him; it's not the system.

Mitchell: "To me, the Patriots are not that good. ... We're the better team... A good team crushes that Patriot team. I'm telling you, they're not that good.'
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:16 pm

hey, im not doubting brady -- I really like him and think he gets unfairly slammed. I think he is the best in the business, and that's that. But he isn't going to explode on you either. You are guaranteed of his 250 and 1.5-2 td's a game.

I think it is much harder sometimes to be a "system qb" -- because when you do throw, the throws are usually that much harder.

If you run twice and get a total of five yards, then Third and Five, you need a five yard completion.

Someone like peyton manning on a lot of drives will have 3 chances at 10 yards a lot of times, which makes it a touch easier in my book. you get a "free down" to throw more often than the system qb does. And, the defense knows it is coming.

But my posts were more about the Pats as a team. The fans talk about beating the colts and steelers back to back. But coneniently forget that the colts still passed for 17 first downs, but had a dumb game plan. They also forget that the Vikings were the number 2 passing team and got beat by the eagles. Both teams were outside in bad weather, and both had bad defenses.

The steelers got "blown out" in no small part because their team turned it over 4 times. Say what you will about that, but the best "d" didn;t really yield those points, their above average O had more to do with those scores.

I think it will be a good game, just not feeling blowout. Tired of the pundits and fans saying it will be. The eagles D is dominant, and people don't give it enough credit. I think too much is being made of these two wins as well, as both teams (hell, all four teams: pitt, indy, atl, minny) were pretty one dimensional. If you take away their strength, you win.

Eagles are not nearly as one dimensional as any of those teams. And they have a top-tier pass rush combined with a much better secondary than the ones ne has faced. Gotta defend my boys where approriate -- but big respect to the pats.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:17 pm

"Seems to me that you think being a good quarterback is all about passing--throw ball from point A to point B. If that's your opinion, fine, take Manning and Marino. I'll take Brady and Montana."

I said Bradshaw, not Montana. Montana is the best quarterback of all time, but thats a whole new argument.

I think that Peyton manning has wrongfully taken all of the blame for the playoff losses to the pats the last two years. Although he is the leader of the team, he cannot help it if his defense and special teams provide him with poor field position, or his wide receivers cant catch the ball. I'd still rather have Manning than Brady.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:55 pm

jets fan:

again, what is your explanation of holt being better than owens, other than bold assertation?

trans:

I didn't see this:

"
Just one question: What will the excuse be if the Eagles lose? TO was hurt? Good thing the Pats have had their starting CBs and their best D-line man throughout the playoffs.... oh, wait..."

No excuse, eagles lose, they lose. I mean, they made it and had their shot. Its one game and anything can happen.

I will add that the eagles did lose buckhalter, shaun andrews (the guy who they traded up to get in the draft) and john ritchie this year, two VERY key blockers and someone who would have been very useful in the ground game.

I think it is a testament to both teams.

Its weird, as an eagles fan, I really dislike the rest of the nfc east teams, the bucs and panthers. But the pats are hard not to at least like/semi-like. same with the rams when they beat the eagles.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:39 pm

The reason I think Torry is better than TO is because he had similar yards last couple of years, and the only reason he hasnt had as many touchdowns is that torry has played in a system that throws the ball a lot, but likes to run it around the goal line. The eagles this year did not have a goal line rushing threat, and the only other target for dmac was chad lewis and lj smith. In san fran, they did not have an outstanding running back, unless you consider kevan barlow and garrison hearst to be good backs. I think if they were both in the same system for a year, starting right now, I think that Torry would have a better year.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:17 pm

DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:I think that Peyton manning has wrongfully taken all of the blame for the playoff losses to the pats the last two years. Although he is the leader of the team, he cannot help it if his defense and special teams provide him with poor field position, or his wide receivers cant catch the ball. I'd still rather have Manning than Brady.

Who threw those picks last year? :-?

Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:18 pm

DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:The reason I think Torry is better than TO is because he had similar yards last couple of years, and the only reason he hasnt had as many touchdowns is that torry has played in a system that throws the ball a lot, but likes to run it around the goal line. The eagles this year did not have a goal line rushing threat, and the only other target for dmac was chad lewis and lj smith. In san fran, they did not have an outstanding running back, unless you consider kevan barlow and garrison hearst to be good backs. I think if they were both in the same system for a year, starting right now, I think that Torry would have a better year.

well i gave you a bigger selection than just this year, but ok. the eagles had levens, lj smith, donovan himself, and westbrook around the goal line.

garrison hearst was a good back, I think faulk was a better one though.

The TD's weren't even close btw, we are talking a 30 td difference for their best five years, and TO has much better stats year to year for scoring than holt does. you can't explain all that away by "system"

last time I checked, a throwing system HELPS wr's, not hurts them. Holt is helped even more by the throwing system. you put owens in that, he would score even more.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk