Roethlisberger broke toes in title game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Roethlisberger broke toes in title game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Roethlisberger broke toes in title game

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:28 am

This may explain his off-balance throws during the game. Surprised he didn't notice or leave for a drive of two to tape them up.

PITTSBURGH (Jan. 25, 2005) -- Rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger broke a couple of toes on his right foot during the Steelers' AFC title game loss to the Patriots, but he doesn't blame the injury for his error-filled play.

Roethlisberger didn't specify which toes were broken, and he wasn't walking with an apparent limp. He believes he was hurt while stumbling on a 13-yard run late in the first half, amid a drive that later stalled in the 41-27 loss on Jan. 23.

"It's a good thing I'm not punting any more," said Roethlisberger, who was a part-time punter in college at Miami of Ohio.

Despite getting hurt on an 11-degree night, Roethlisberger saw his statistics improve after the injury. He was 5-for-10 for 77 yards and two pivotal interceptions as New England opened a 24-3 lead by halftime, but was 9-for-14 for 149 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the second half.

While acknowledging the foot injury, the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year brushed off weeks' worth of ors that he hurt his right thumb late in the season.

"I'm fine; I'll be healthy by next year," he said.

The vague answer was similar to the one he offered after getting intercepted twice in a 20-17 overtime playoff victory against the New York Jets on Jan. 15. Then, when asked about a possible thumb injury, he said, "I'm not going to make excuses."

Roethlisberger said his arm became tired during his first NFL season, though he wouldn't speculate if it contributed to his late-season falloff in production. He had 12 touchdown passes and four interceptions in his first 10 starts, but only six TD passes and 10 interceptions in his last five -- including five interceptions in two playoff games.

"My arm got a little tired," he said. "I didn't throw as much as Peyton Manning, but I threw a lot more than I did playing 10 or 12 games" in college.

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said opponents began defending the Steelers' passing game differently as the season progressed, dropping more defenders into coverage on third down to create traffic in the passing lines and make it harder for Roethlisberger to find receivers

"Physically, it wears on you. It's a weariness from the whole season, and then you have to play against coach (Bill) Belichick's defense, and that's always tough," Roethlisberger said. "There's a lot of different things they threw at us, looks and blitzes."

Still, Roethlisberger said playing nearly a full season as a starter at least a year ahead of schedule has only advanced his progress.

"I learned a lot of things, not just in this game but this season," Roethlisberger said.

After Roethlisberger takes some time off to play golf and watch his high school sophomore sister, Carlee, play basketball at Findlay (Ohio) High, he will return to Pittsburgh to begin offseason workouts and meetings with Whisenhunt and quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple.

"There are some areas we need to improve -- areas I need to improve," said Whisenhunt, who was also in his first season as an NFL coordinator.

Whisenhunt and Roethlisberger also hope the Steelers bring back wide receiver Plaxico Burress, a potential free agent who doesn't expect to return to Pittsburgh.

Two days after his first NFL defeat, Roethlisberger said it's difficult dealing with losing again after going 16 months and 27 consecutive games -- 14 in the NFL and his last 13 in college -- without a loss.

"You forget how to lose -- and that's probably a good thing," he said.

While he takes some satisfaction from arguably the best rookie season by an NFL quarterback, Roethlisberger is disappointed the Steelers' 15-game winning streak ended one game short of the Super Bowl.

"I let a lot of people down," he said. "That's the tough thing about it."
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:48 am

Wow, pretty gutsy guy there...just what Steeler fans expect! ;-D

If he can get his arm in shape for a full NFL year, he should be even better! 8-o The guy was a first year player; he's certainly on the right track already.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cooner » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:48 pm

there's a lot of inner toughness in this kid that reminds me of Brett Farve... and for that reason, I'm very excited to be a Steeler fan! ;-D
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:58 pm

Hmm, I just saw this article on Yahoo...

Seems like Cowher didn't like him saying what he did, and Cowher still denies the thumb injury thing. :-S
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk