Charles Martin dead at 49 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Charles Martin dead at 49

Moderator: Football Moderators

Charles Martin dead at 49

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:31 am

HOUSTON (Jan. 26, 2005) -- Charles Martin, the former Green Bay defensive end who body-slammed Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon into the turf and ended his season in 1986, has died. He was 46.

Martin, who played for the Packers, Houston Oilers and Atlanta Falcons during his five-year NFL career, died Jan. 23 at Memorial Southwest Hospital in Houston, a hospital spokesman said.

"He probably died from complications of his renal (kidney) disease," Dr. Charles Aramburo, Martin's surgeon, told Houston television station KRIV on Jan. 25. "We are still waiting for the results from the , which will be definitive."

In 1986, Martin drove McMahon into the ground after the quarterback had thrown a pass. McMahon was out for the rest of the season with a shoulder injury. Martin was wearing a towel with the numbers of Bears' players on it during the game. McMahon's No. 9 was at the top of the list. Martin was ejected for a flagrant late hit and suspended for two games.

Martin played for the Packers from 1984-87. He also played for the Oilers in 1987 and the Falcons in 1988. He began his pro football career with the USFL Birmingham Stallions in 1983.

Funeral services are pending with Mabrie Memorial Mortuary in Houston.

A lot of respect for this player. It's sorry to see that he died so young, like Reggie White.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:02 pm

too bad... always sad to see someone go so young. RIP.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:18 pm

I hope these comments are sarcastic.How could anyone feel bad for this piece of garbage?He intentionally tried to hurt people,to end careers if he could.Why was he any different than a common criminal?Because he did it on the football field instead of the street corner.Good riddance.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby awwchrist » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:41 pm

Your post disgusts me. How nearsighted can someone be to be judge and jury simply for what someone does on an NFL field?

Give me a freaking break.

Your sig file seems appropriate in this case.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:53 am

Sixxgunn wrote:I hope these comments are sarcastic.How could anyone feel bad for this piece of garbage?He intentionally tried to hurt people,to end careers if he could.Why was he any different than a common criminal?Because he did it on the football field instead of the street corner.Good riddance.

C,mon man. Do you really think a guy deserves to die because of a late or cheap hit in a football game???? I barely remember the McMahon incident, and I didn't follow Martin's career that closely but how can you wish a guy would die like that?! Hopefully you were the one being sarcastic, a sick kind of sarcasm, but at least sarcasim would be better than really meaning what you said.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:46 pm

Yeah, he was a cheap shot artist, but I'm not going to say that players on rival teams should die. (Sound familiar?) Sad to see him die so young.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:09 pm

Okay...admittedly I went a bit out of the bounds of good taste with the good riddance part of my response,but I refuse to feel bad for the man.I didn't wish him dead,nor do I wish anyone(well,maybe Bin Laden)dead,but that doesn't mean I have to feel bad for him.I apologize if I offended anyone with my crude remarks.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby PackerAttack84 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:12 pm

Yeah, that post was just down right dirty. You don't go ripping on a guy when people are saying they are sorry he died. Not cool.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:20 pm

PackerAttack84 wrote:Yeah, that post was just down right dirty. You don't go ripping on a guy when people are saying they are sorry he died. Not cool.

he already apologized, leave it alone
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:07 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was Who the heck is Charles Martin?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk