Lions sign OC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lions sign OC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lions sign OC

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:56 am

As dreaded..er..I mean expected Mariucci decided on old buddy Ted Tollner to be the new OC. My opinion is this is a terrible move. Cronyism at it's worse. Remember the 9ers scored less than all but 2 teams last season. A team that started with Eric Johnson tearing up the league only to be ignored as the season went along. Tollner caved to Barlow whining about not getting the ball enough.
I don't want to hear about how they were so injured and they lost so many players. They didn't take advantage of what little they had. Don't even try to say that he didn't have a QB to work with when the Lions present to him Bloey Harrington and Mice McMahon.
Ultimately, congrats Mariucci, you are now a full fledged Lion. Pass on imaginative OCs to pluck the OC that drove you most offensively talented player insane. Reach deep into a talent pool and grab the guy who at best could be a safe play, known poisen. Way to strive for mediocrity. Is Garcia next? Draft downfield talents like Roy and Ginger Rogers then build you offense to be a 3-8 yard route team. WTF is wrong with this team!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lions' logic. :-t
Here's a link and the story, as if anybody could give a crap about this pathetic attempt to halt the Lions toiletbowl-like descent toward destiny.

[url]http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions26e_20050126.htm
[/url]

BY CURT SYLVESTER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Steve Mariucci has settled on Ted Tollner as the Lions' offensive coordinator, according to persons familiar with the situation at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

Tollner, who was the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator this past season, was one of six assistants interviewed by the Lions' head coach in his search for a replacement for Sherman Lewis, who announced his retirement at the end of the 2004 season.

Mariucci also interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and Miami quarterbacks coach Marc Trestman, in addition to three Lions assistants -- running backs coach Tom Rathman, quarterbacks coach Greg Olson and offensive line coach Pat Morris.

Sources said Mariucci informed the coordinator candidates of his decision this week during Senior Bowl practices, where most NFL scouts and coaches are watching top draft prospects work out. Lions spokesmen could not confirm the report Tuesday night.

Tollner, 64, had head coaching stints at the College of San Mateo, Southern California, and San Diego State before moving to the NFL as an assistant coach with Buffalo, San Diego and the L.A. Rams.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:54 am

That is too bad for the Lions. It does appear that the selection was based on familiarity. Wasn't Trestman an OC before? I seem to remember his name floating around...can't remember if he was good or bad.

Rathman would be a sweet coordinator! He's essentially in the Walsh line himself. As a man who played in the system, he could give the offense a new perspective and some great advice to the players on the field on what worked for his team and what didn't work.

Maybe dome teams were never meant to win a Super Bowl... :,-(
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LT Blue Colt » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:51 pm

Oh Moochman, I'm sorry. This truely is a bummer. By the sounds of it Tollner will be calling the plays too, according to the Free Press I think. Just like Green Bay, half way through the year, the head coach, Mooch, will probably be calling the plays. Which won't be good for our already fragile hopes of the Lions making a good run for at least .500 this next season.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:31 pm

Wow, I can the feel the anger eminating from the Lions' fan base. :-b

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:06 am

IRON CHEF wrote:Wow, I can the feel the anger eminating from the Lions' fan base. :-b

You're right man, I feel anger from time to time. But, like I said it's more fragile hope than anything. But, I can understand where you would see the anger if you've read our posts along with our other posts at "The Detroit Lions Forum".
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:43 am

I dont know that its as much anger as it is disgust. I am a Lions homer always have been and im sure always will be. When Mooch was hired i was relieved to get rid of Marty but i also knew of his conservative offence. When he came to Detroit i thought that he would have found out the Lions dont have the personel to run that exact offence here. Now that Tollner is here im afraid that things wont change that much. The only hope that i hold onto is that Tollner has alot of experience outside the West Coast offence and hopefully he will convinve Mooch to tailor the O around our strengths and throw the ball down field!!

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Demented Avenger » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:26 pm

My condolences to Detroit. This guy was terrible, and I'm glad the niners are rid of him.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:05 pm

Why hasn't Mooch been ousted from the Lions yet? I've never heard of a coach sign a decent WR just because they're friends and then pretty much not even start him, and how he's signing a OC just because they're buddies?
And i can't stand how they try to justify the signing "He's never run a WC offense, so we're sure he'll be great at updating our WC system!"

please :-°
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby black_hawk8888 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:48 pm

How will this affect Roy Williams, Kevin Jones, and Charles Rogers???
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby Atog » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:27 pm

black_hawk8888 wrote:How will this affect Roy Williams, Kevin Jones, and Charles Rogers???

it's not clear yet. In a west coast offense, which the Lions would like to run, Kevin Jones and Roy Williams would most likely prosper. If a vertical offense, Charles Rogers would most prosper, but Jones wouldn't get as many passes (and i personally think that Roy would do best in a WC offense.) If the Lions are able to blend the two offenses and have WC-style passes to Jones and Williams and the occasional bomb to Rogers, then they'd have a ton of potential.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Football Talk