If They Retired Tomorrow...Who Makes The Hall Of Fame? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

If They Retired Tomorrow...Who Makes The Hall Of Fame?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby hankey2mlh » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:23 am

Carolina Culpepper wrote:Actually, I for one have thought that Namath doesn't belong in the HOF. I never could figure out why he is in there other than the fact that he "predicted" his team would win a Super Bowl and they did. So what. Every player should believe that his team will win when they play. No, I don't think Namath's career or numbers justify him being in there. I guess it was his "pretty boy" buddies in the media that only thought so.

Namath shouldn't only be remembered for his guarantee. He saved the AFL in 1965 when he spurned the NFL and signed a record-setting contract with the Jets. He was one of the first ultra-famous, look-at-me athletes, doing commercials for just about everything. He was the first quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards in one season. From 1967-1969, Namtah was he best quarterback in the AFL, and he lead his team to a memorable Super Bowl victory despite being 18-point underdogs. Injuries forced him to miss half of his games over the next four seasons, and he was never a dominant player after that. However, his peak value was high, and those years were sufficient to get Namath into the Hall (where he deserves to be IMO)...
hankey2mlh
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:27 am

it's not going to help dillon's case that he racked up yards on essentially bad teams.

I don't think dillon is a hall of famer -- just a good performer, all-star type.

of course, if they win this year and go to the playoffs again, perhaps he would be. as two hall of famers froma three time champ seems so wrong.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:46 pm

I think that because Dillon played for such a horrible team, only helps his case all the more. As for the Joe Namath arguement, I don't think he's a player worthy of Hall of Fame status. I'd say he was bordeline, but not truly worthy. He was flashy off the field and had a very well liked persona that made him more celebrity than football player. Dave Krieg has more prolific stats than Namath! Everyone's arguement on Dave Krieg is his turnover problems, specifically his fumbling. Then you look at Namath's stats and realize he threw more interceptions than touchdowns. What's with that?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:31 pm

When I mentioned Corey Dillon, I also said that "at this point in time" he would not get in. That is because offensive statistics have skyrocketed as of late. 1000 yards is no longer impressive, it is 1300-1500 yards that most starting RBs shoot for. Dillon has had a very nice career, but does he stand out among the running backs that will be retiring in the next few years? Emmit Smith, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, etc. all have had much more impressive careers. I just dont think Dillon, if he retired right now, would get in.

As for Namath, I am a jets fan, and unfortunately was not alive for the superbowl season, but have seen plenty of namath highlights. He shouldnt be in the hall of fame. He had terrible numbers, and only won one superbowl. I dont think that is enough to get someone in.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Previous

Return to Football Talk