Jimmy Smith = Hall of Famer? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jimmy Smith = Hall of Famer?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jimmy Smith = Hall of Famer?

Postby footballfreak449 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:25 pm

He is a intresting person to talk about in this situation. I think he should and will get on a 3rd or 4th ballot, but not first. What do you guys think?
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:27 pm

He is a 2nd or 3rd ballot guy.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby no1cowboysfan » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:13 pm

I still can't believe we drafted him... I just found this out a month ago. (To be fair, I was 5 when he was drafted). Makes me upset...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hankey2mlh » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:18 pm

I don't think that Jimmy Smith will make it into the Hall of Fame - just look at the troubles Art Monk is having to get in...
hankey2mlh
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:32 pm

I dont think he will get in either. He has put up good numbers over his career, but if you look at the stats being put up recently, his arent impressive enough to get in.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:52 pm

DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:I dont think he will get in either. He has put up good numbers over his career, but if you look at the stats being put up recently, his arent impressive enough to get in.

How can u make this statement when the only year he didnt get at least 1000 yards receiving was 2003. And that was because he play only 12 games.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:09 pm

I dont think he goes. He's a great player, but he could easily get lost in sea of other greats who were just a little better, or had a little less impressive competition.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:29 pm

Here comes a patented MB long post! :-o

I was just about to say he definitely would not make it. But then I looked at some of the guys already in, and I changed my mind. He's now a decent chance in my book...it just depends on how Hall of Fame voters perceive his career and "legacy."

Smith is a really good and really consistent player. It's almost a given that he will have a 1000+ yard, 6+ TD campaign. He has over 11,000 yards and over 60 TD's in his career. Those are great numbers.

Here would be my argument against Smith...you have to be a big-time performer and make yourself totally stand out at your position to be in the Hall. Smith has had some big years (over 110 receptions twice, 1600 yards in one year and 6 - 8 TD's every year), but he hasn't helped "define the position" that others like Alworth, Barry, Hirsch, Largent, Belitnikoff, and Maynard did. :-/

Then I looked at James Lofton - the latest of the WR's in the Hall right now. :-? The guy was really good for a really long time (14,000 yards, 75 TDs in 15 years). If Smith plays another 3 years, he's going to match and exceed these numbers.

Therefore, what would be holding him out? No appearances in the Super Bowl. It's hard to showcase yourself as an all-time player if you never make it to the big game. He was close once, but he will still not be remembered for a SB appearance. Sure, Lofton never won one, but he was in four of them and played a major part in the offense to compliment Kelly and Thurman Thomas.

Another thing hampering Smith is that he's a "low-key" performer. He does what he has to do and doesn't pull a TO. When you think back to the good Jaguars teams in the mid 90s, who do you think about? Well, I'd think of Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Tony Boselli...and then probably Jimmy Smith. Not having that spotlight can be a good thing, but if Hall voters are looking for a standout performer, they might not remember Jimmy.

He has Hall of Fame type numbers, but will people actually remember Jimmy Smith? I sure will because I think he's one of the best fantasy WR's a team could have - not thought about right away (at least in the past three years), good consistent numbers every year, and a decent amount of scores. But, without a standout performance in a big game like the Super Bowl, I can understand if he doesn't make the Hall.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:00 pm

I don't think he'll make it into the hall. He's an outstanding player, but as MB mentioned, he doesn't stand out all that much, or has done anything ultra special recently. I think he would be great in the Hall of fame, but he'll just get discarded among other people trying to get into the hall. Now, if he has a TO-like year this year, his chances of getting in will defientely help, but with Byron Leftwich at the helm, who knows what will happen.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:15 pm

Jimmy Smith is an excellent reciever, you cannot deny that. His lack of playing in a big market i think hurts him, and like someone said in a post if Monk is having a hard time getting in i dont see JSmooth ever getting in.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk