Jimmy Smith = Hall of Famer? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jimmy Smith = Hall of Famer?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:42 am

I guess I am just one of those guys who thinks that the hall of fame in all sports needs to be more exclusive. Jimmy Smith is a great player and has put up very nice, consistent stats, but I just dont think he is quite deserving to be in the hall of fame. Thats not saying he wont go, because guys who were not as good as jimmy have gone, but I just dont think his name jumps off the page.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Evolution » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:38 am

I would agree that would have to stand out at your position to make the hall. You do not want the Hall of Fame to turn into a joke like it has become in hockey where just about everyone gets in.

Jimmy Smith is one of the greatest underrated receivers of all-time, but he never was the class of the field or made any noise to stand out. The Super Bowls will also be held against him at the end of the day, and he will be dwarfed by a guy named Jerry Rice when he finally decides to call it quits.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:19 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:I still can't believe we drafted him... I just found this out a month ago. (To be fair, I was 5 when he was drafted). Makes me upset...

Yeah, isn't that the worst. Your team drafts some stud and doesn't even know it. Here's some more eye-openers from the NFL Draft. The following players only played one season with the teams they were drafted by:

Keenan McCardell was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the 12th round of the 1991 NFL Draft.

LaRoi Glover was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the 5th round of the 1996 NFL Draft.

Jeff Blake was drafted by the New York Jets in the 6th round of the 1992 NFL Draft.

Aaron Brooks was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the 4th round of the 1999 NFL Draft.

Trent Green was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the 8th Round of the 1993 NFL Draft.

Just to name a few. Oh, what could have been. :-b
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:21 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:I still can't believe we drafted him... I just found this out a month ago. (To be fair, I was 5 when he was drafted). Makes me upset...

Yeah, isn't that the worst. Your team drafts some stud and doesn't even know it. Here's some more eye-openers from the NFL Draft. The following players only played one season with the teams they were drafted by:

Keenan McCardell was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the 12th round of the 1991 NFL Draft.

LaRoi Glover was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the 5th round of the 1996 NFL Draft.

Jeff Blake was drafted by the New York Jets in the 6th round of the 1992 NFL Draft.

Aaron Brooks was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the 4th round of the 1999 NFL Draft.

Trent Green was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the 8th Round of the 1993 NFL Draft.

Just to name a few. Oh, what could have been. :-b

i wasnt aware of any of those. very interesting :-?
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:25 pm

I actually knew all of them except for Green. And I LIVE here...

Wow. Of course, Favre in Atlanta is always funny...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:34 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:I actually knew all of them except for Green. And I LIVE here...

Wow. Of course, Favre in Atlanta is always funny...

I was gonna mention that one too. but I figured everyone knew about it. At least the Falcons got something for Favre, most of the other guys I mentioned were cut outright.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:46 pm

I also think the Hall should be reserved for the best of the best. With no disrespect whatsoever to Jimmy Smith, who is certainly worth discussing, I don't think he qualifies. He simply spent too many years outside the top echelon of WRs.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LT Blue Colt » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:20 pm

Good topic, but we'll never really know until 5 years, at the least, when Jimmy Smith retires.

And, hey, did you know Matt Hasselbeck, was drafted in the 6th round to the Green Bay Packers.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk