BREAKING NEWS: Vick Injures Ankle - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

BREAKING NEWS: Vick Injures Ankle

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:30 pm

ATLANTA (Aug. 16, 2003) -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick fractured his right fibula during a preseason game against Baltimore, and a team source told The Associated Press the quarterback will be sidelined at least six weeks.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Vick wouldn't have surgery. If he's out six weeks, he'll miss the first four games of the regular season, and would return Oct. 5 against Minnesota.

Hopefully he only misses 4 games but if its only 4 he should still be picked if u can get a backup to start 4 games.
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tjhksig » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:37 pm

Ok, Vick is out a minimum 6 weeks, meaning at least 4 regular season games. Factor in the rust, and he's not gonna be himself until week 6 or 7. You can't consider drafting him until the 8th round or later. You will at best get 10 games outta him, is that worth stashing him on your bench? I'm just glad I stick to the "draft a QB late" strategy, I feel bad for the guy in our Cafe league who picked him in round 2 THIS morning.

I can't belive it, but the Madden curse is truly real. Even if you don't believe in curses, you can't help believe.

Please, don't put LT on the cover next year.
Last edited by tjhksig on Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:57 pm

Terrible news from the ATL, looked like a freak injury but just the kind that Vick has been putting himself at risk for. My concerns over Vick now are weather or not he will have the mobility when he returns. May be a good break (sorry) for his development overall, but sucks for this year. How far do you guys think he will drop in drafts? Mine is tomorrow and I’m thinking maybe rounds 8-9.
How is this going to impact the rest of Atl’s fantasy players? Does Price’s stock drop? How much? Or does his value rise with a prototypical pocket passer in backup Doug Johnson?
Will this mean more rushes for Dunn and/or Duckett? Any input is, as always, appreciated.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby arrbez » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:25 pm

wow, lot of injuries today. good thing i draft tommorow, i was really planning on taking vick.
arrbez

Friendliness: %

Postby Azrael » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:35 pm

I agree with the guy who said 8th round or later. You can't afford to pick a guy early and have him sit on the bench half the year. Plus this isn't an injury where after 10 weeks or so, he's just going to be running around as himself again. I would say he wouldn't be himself the rest of this year. I would also say Price's stock drops as well, as to how much though I don't know.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby drunkenmonkey » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:37 am

A guy in my league took him fourth overall in the first round. Guess I need to contact him for a trade -- not that I'm one to benefit from the problems of others, but all is fair in fantasy football.
It's time to roll the dice!
drunkenmonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby flamingantichimp » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:40 am

You heard it here first:

Doug Johnson get's replaced in week 7 after having a 85 qb rating. I'm picking him off ww right now.
flamingantichimp
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:22 am

Xtreme wrote:Fantasy football aside, this is such a huge hit for football in general. Vick is a one-man highlight show. It's a damn shame he'll be out, great young player. As for drafting him, they say it's one of the injuries that even when he's back, it'll still bother him, and he'll start slow. I wouldn't even consider drafting him now.

Wow, Xtreme, thats pretty much my thoughts exactly. Its a damn shame - he was fun to watch.
I own him in none of my leagues, simply because he would always go in the first 2 rds, and I had him ranked as the 5th or 6th best QB this yr. Same with Price - never got into my top 15WRs, and certainly wont now.
As for when to draft him? Let someone else make that call. Too many good QBs to even deal with a running QB who breaks his leg 2 weeks before the season starts.

Heres to hoping Reeves now puts the load squarely on the shoulders of a certain MI St. alumni RB.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:35 am

Thankfully, I don't have him in any leagues, but as a football fan, this makes me sad. I just love watching him. That run against Minnesota was one of the best plays in any sport I've seen in a long time.

Anyway, I'm thinking of offering Warner straight up for him (I also have Hasselbeck... yes/no?
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:06 am

Well it doesnt bother me any,,,,,,,,,still too bad though Go Madden Go. something else
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk