Return to Football Talk

Remember the XFL?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:28 am

And let's not forget the return of Jim Druckenmiller! :-L
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Demented Avenger » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:37 am

portisfan24 wrote:I remember I was pretty excited for it because it was supposed to be so violent. If I remember correctly it wasnt any mor violent than the NFL.

I think the disallowing of fair catches was the only thing that was supposed to make it more violent. It would be really entertaining to see a guy try to catch a punt KNOWING he's going to get clobbered, and then watch him actually get clobbered.
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:32 am

Demented Avenger wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:I remember I was pretty excited for it because it was supposed to be so violent. If I remember correctly it wasnt any mor violent than the NFL.

I think the disallowing of fair catches was the only thing that was supposed to make it more violent. It would be really entertaining to see a guy try to catch a punt KNOWING he's going to get clobbered, and then watch him actually get clobbered.

I believe there were also fewer rules to protect the quarterback. Considering the rate at which QBs went down, it seems that that lack of protection made quite a difference...

It certainly made being quick to the waiver button key in XFL fantasy leagues! !+)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Blue And Silver Rush » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:38 am

Hey i would take the XFL right about now with no football in a little bit, but hey!!! We got the AFL.. O:-) :-P :-?
Blue And Silver Rush
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dave416 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:15 am

Azrael wrote:The best thing about the XFL that I would actually like to see in the NFL was the "fumble" prior to the game where 2 players struggled for the ball to see which team would "win the toss"

I don't think that would ever happen though. If I remember correctly, one of the XFL players tore his ACL doing that in of the first games of the season.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby Azrael » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:00 am

dave416 wrote:
Azrael wrote:The best thing about the XFL that I would actually like to see in the NFL was the "fumble" prior to the game where 2 players struggled for the ball to see which team would "win the toss"

I don't think that would ever happen though. If I remember correctly, one of the XFL players tore his ACL doing that in of the first games of the season.

A new role for guys who are nothing but fast! Get the fastest guy you can find with no other talent than speed and tell him to get the ball, kinda like James Jett.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:55 am

"He Hate Me" Rod Smart and Tommy Maddox... what a funny bunch. What a lasting investment, McMahon... :-b Bet he's still laughing (or crying) over that one.

Also, kicker Jose Cortez for the 49ers was also an XFL player. I forget the other guys... but there are a couple more.

Oh, and anything with Karen McDougal is thumbs up in my book. Well, except the XFL. But she is incredibly hot...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dave416 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:20 pm

Azrael wrote:
dave416 wrote:

A new role for guys who are nothing but fast! Get the fastest guy you can find with no other talent than speed and tell him to get the ball, kinda like James Jett.

True, but the NFL is all about protecting players. Still, you are right, it would be interesting.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:12 pm

Ah the old days. It was fun for as long as it lasted.
Now, we only have the NFL Europe to watch during off-season.
Somebody shoot me! :-o
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:22 am

I remember the game when the guy got hurt in the scrum(I think that's what it was called),and felt horrible for him.Correct me if I'm wrong,but they only got paid when they played right?So this guy probably got a meager injury settlement and was done.On an unrelated note,I bought an XFL football at the fleamarket the other day for 4 bucks.It is a pretty cool looking ball,and it sits below my official Dick Butkus NFL ball,and I hope to get an arena ball soon.Hey,some guys collect bobbleheads.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk