McCarthy goes from Saints to 49ers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McCarthy goes from Saints to 49ers

Moderator: Football Moderators

McCarthy goes from Saints to 49ers

Postby Demented Avenger » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:28 pm

Well, looks like the 49ers will have Mike McCarthy as their OC next year. While everything I've heard about him has been good, are there any Saints fans here who can tell me what they think of him?
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:15 pm

I read a quote from Joe Horn talking about how great he was and how sad he was for him to leave after he has coached Horn for five years. He brought Horn to 4 Pro Bowls while he was coach, and that's really saying something. Plus, Horn is one of the modest players in the NFl, so I know he's not talkign trash about his coach.

IMO, McCarthy will do alright in SF, but their offense will kill him.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PackerAttack84 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:16 pm

Hopefully for the 49ers he will help make their offense atleast top 20 in the league. They need to draft for offense this April.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:19 pm

I always liked McCarthy. Under his coaching our offense ranked in the top half of the league four times, and was always pretty successful. I think Haslett and our defense have always been the problems. I'm not really worried about losing him...there are a lot of guys available that would be perfect for the job. As for McCarthy and the 49ers, he should help them a lot, but they first need some improvement in the o-line and other parts of their offense in the draft.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:55 pm

I'm sure it's an upgrade over what was there, but we still need the personnel who can carry out the game plan. The Niners need line help first and foremost. From there, it's just a matter of coaching the players in the system and carrying it out better than the team they are playing.

Hopefully this year when the Niners "need to draft offense" they look to the line and not the skill positions. I just don't believe that will significantly turn the team around. I got sick of seeing them draft WR's and QB's when that was something they have always had in spades.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:08 am

I thought NO's play calling was absolutely horrible this year, they always seemed to throw on 1st down, and then on 2nd and 10, they would run and Deuce would get 3-4 yards, and then they would have to pass again on 3rd down (obviously I was/am a Deuce owner).

That kind of play calling though, could do well in SF, where there isnt much of a line or running game.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:14 pm

Flux wrote:I thought NO's play calling was absolutely horrible this year, they always seemed to throw on 1st down, and then on 2nd and 10, they would run and Deuce would get 3-4 yards, and then they would have to pass again on 3rd down (obviously I was/am a Deuce owner).

That kind of play calling though, could do well in SF, where there isnt much of a line or running game.

Exactly, I hope the departure of McCarthy leads to more carries early in the series for Deuce. Anyone can see when you have a top back like Deuce, and a sketchy QB like Aaron Brooks, you should ride Deuce like no one's business.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:58 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Anyone can see when you have a top back like Deuce, and a sketchy QB like Aaron Brooks, you should ride Deuce like no one's business.

Apparently Aaron Brooks has something to say about that...didn't he call himself a premier QB a month ago? :-b

Deuce has the skills, and they should use them. That offense has great weapons, and as long as they have a good game plan they should be able to put up tons of points each game. As most of us already have stated, their biggest problem is the defense.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:47 pm

The Saints new OC (can't remember name off-hand) was brought in because he specifically is run-oriented. Deuce should have a great year next year.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:25 pm

Well, I think this should be a nice improvment for SF. The Saints offense, while a little inconsistant, was always very exciting to play, and deceivingly powerful offense. So even if SF's offense isn't necessarily better, Niner fans should still be content that their games willbe more exciting to watch.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk