Rod Gardner. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rod Gardner.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby s0meguy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:59 pm

2nd rounder is pretty accurate for Gardner. 3rd round and past teams are drafting backups for the most part -

22 over offence and defence
average career ~10 years
2.2 of those players retire from each team and are replaced by a player starting for the first time
Ragin Cajuns on year #4
s0meguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:04 am

Man... I would actually like Gardner if he left DC (I now like Champ... :-b ). And it would be sweeter if he left for Dallas... A 2nd rounder is a steal.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby FF Newbie » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:08 am

Not true about 3rd-rounders being drafted as backups. I think most teams taking a player in the 3rd round expect him to be a starter within 3 years. The average career in the NFL is NOT 10 years. I wouldn't spend a 2nd-round pick on Gardner. Third rounder sounds about right to me, but I could see a team with a late 2nd-round pick and a need at receiver doing it. Do the Bucs really think he is that much of an upgrade from Galloway though? I thought Galloway did just fine after he came back from the injury.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Flux » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:01 am

FF Newbie wrote:Not true about 3rd-rounders being drafted as backups. I think most teams taking a player in the 3rd round expect him to be a starter within 3 years. The average career in the NFL is NOT 10 years. I wouldn't spend a 2nd-round pick on Gardner. Third rounder sounds about right to me, but I could see a team with a late 2nd-round pick and a need at receiver doing it. Do the Bucs really think he is that much of an upgrade from Galloway though? I thought Galloway did just fine after he came back from the injury.

Corey Dillon went for a 2nd rd pick, and there is no way Henry will go for anything more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder. A team would have to be on drugs to offer up a 2nd rounder for Gardner at this point
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:49 am

2nd is too much for him. I'd trade a 3rd for him if I needed a deep threat and had a complimentary receiver. His salary is a factor too. Just another thought. Is this opening the door more to the possibility of the Skins making a run for Moss? I get that vibe for sure.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:33 pm

a 2nd rounder for a solid starter is not so much a waste as you think. Think about it... [unnecessaryredskinsdiss]He plays for the Redskins, a team with no good QB or offensive line.[/unnecessaryredskinsdiss]. On another team, he might thrive.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:03 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:a 2nd rounder for a solid starter is not so much a waste as you think. Think about it... [unnecessaryredskinsdiss]He plays for the Redskins, a team with no good QB or offensive line.[/unnecessaryredskinsdiss]. On another team, he might thrive.

This is true, but it's also business...buy low and sell high. The Skins will be selling low here.

Muhammad had a "bad" year two years ago because of Smith, and everyone was writing him off for dead. Then this year Smith gets hurt, and he blows up again. You don't think he's going to demand a huge contract or a high draft pick in a trade?

Gardner hasn't done much recently, so the prospective buyers will be willing to give up less than what he may actually be worth. That's why I don't think he's worth a second rounder.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk