Breaking News: Shockey Breaks Rib - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Breaking News: Shockey Breaks Rib

Moderator: Football Moderators

Breaking News: Shockey Breaks Rib

Postby mnheadliner » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:21 pm

TE Shockey has a broken rib

NFL.com wire reports

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (Aug. 16, 2003) -- Tight end Jeremy Shockey broke a rib and might miss the New York Giants ' last two preseason games.

The second-year pro will play in the Giants' regular-season opener against St. Louis on Sept. 7, coach Jim Fassel said.

Shockey, a Pro Bowler as a rookie, was injured during a 20-10 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

It wasn't clear on which play Shockey was hurt, and after the game Fassel said X-rays were negative. But a small crack was found in later tests.

"He won't play this week, he's sore," Fassel said. "My comment to the doctor was what I want to make sure of is we get him back as soon as we can to practice. If it's iffy in the last (preseason) game, I won't play him, because the starters are only going to play a quarter."

The coach said Shockey would have played next weekend against the New York Jets if it were a regular-season game. The Giants play the Baltimore Ravens in their preseason finale Aug. 28.

The injury is the latest setback for Shockey in a turbulent start to the season that included attention-grabbing interviews with magazines. In one story, he was quoted as criticizing Dallas coach Bill Parcells.

Shockey issued a blanket apology last weekend and hasn't spoken to reporters since.

His 74 catches last season set team records for tight ends and rookies, but he hasn't done much this preseason: two catches for 15 years. Shockey made one catch for 8 yards against the Panthers and dropped two passes on the opening drive.

"I don't know when he'll practice," Fassel said. "It could be three, four or five days or six days. With those things, the way they are explained to me now, it's when you can tolerate the pain."

Backup Marcellus Rivers will move into the starting lineup, with Darnell Dinkins and third-round draft pick Visanthe Shiancoe backing him up.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
mnheadliner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SinCity » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:36 pm

It's hard to take some big hits all season long with a rib injury. We shall see though.
SinCity
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:21 pm

I think this could be a glimpse of things to come for Shockey. He may want to start to think about avoiding a few more hits in the future. I hear he’ll miss a couple of games but be ready for the opener.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby footballin' storm » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:32 pm

All these injuries already, gonna be a difficult fantasy year. Is it me or do there seem to be more injuries every passing year. We are gonna have to start a Fantasy medical staff league. My first pick is the Browns team doctor. (based on last years numbers he put up).
footballin' storm
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby drunkenmonkey » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:23 am

I have Shockey on one team, but thank God I don't have him, Vick, and Jimmy Smith. But you know someone out there does. The fantasy gods are laughing already.
It's time to roll the dice!
drunkenmonkey
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yianni2112 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:39 am

Parcells is well respected in the league and has alot of loyal ex-players out there Shockey will get hit hard often.
Yianni2112
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:53 am

Yianni2112 wrote:Parcells is well respected in the league and has alot of loyal ex-players out there Shockey will get hit hard often.

I don’t know how much impact Shockey’s comments will make, but they will certainly fan the fires he‘s been starting. You gotta remember, when you’re a big smack-talking young doofus that looks like an extra from the movie Deliverance, people just want to hurt already. He may already be one of the more hated players in the league.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:24 am

drunkenmonkey wrote:I have Shockey on one team, but thank God I don't have him, Vick, and Jimmy Smith.

Well, almost just as bad is that in a 3 team keeper league, our commissioner kept both Michael Vick and Michael Bennett. Now that hurts.

As for the whole Shockey thing, I heard that if this weekend was the regular season, then he would be able to play. I don't think this will affect his performance as much as everyone is speculating.

I do have Shockey, but I am not that concerned, because I also have Todd Heap.

Friendliness: %

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:32 am

One guy in my league took Vick in the second round and Shockey in the third. He's really screwed now because his running backs stink horribly.
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk