Jaguar offensive juggernaut? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jaguar offensive juggernaut?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:31 pm

I really like some of the hires Jacksonville has made on the offensive side of the ball (dont get me started on Campo however :-[ )

First Carl Smith as OC. He was Couch's QB coach in Cleveland from 2001-2003. Couch like Leftwich almost exclusively operated out of the gun in college, and had some success with Smith. Remember Couch to KJ? Fairly good combo on such a bad team.

Smith then went to USC for the same job. And has turned out a few pretty nice QB's ;-D I would expect to see Leftwich in the shotgun quite a bit and it appears Del Rio is ready to pass the reins to Lord Byron and open up this offense.

Second Steve Walters the WR coach from the Titans now taking the same job with Jacksonville. This guy has turned trash to treasure with projects such as McCairens, Calico, and Bennett. I Believe he could do the same with Reggie Williams and Ernest Wilford. This move also allows former Bengal QB and NFL MVP Ken Anderson to coach QB's again instead of WR's.

Something to think about while doing your rankings.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flockers » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:02 pm

Woohoo! Now I can take Ernest Wilford with the 2nd overall pick!
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby CC » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:26 pm

They could have had Chow, if they had only asked him.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:41 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:They could have had Chow, if they had only asked him.

I dont know but does Chow have any NFL experience? If not that could have been a factor.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:51 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:

I dont know but does Chow have any NFL experience? If not that could have been a factor.

I don't think so, but I would definetly want the OC of USC more than I would want the QB coach.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:56 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
cooleyhigh wrote:

I don't think so, but I would definetly want the OC of USC more than I would want the QB coach.

I heard on ESPN a while ago that the QB coach of USC will probably become a NFL HC some day, and will be one fo the best ever. I think it was on 6 PM SC sometime around the BCS.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Lung » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:08 pm

The term "juggernaut" is a term not to be used lightly. I used it in reference to Indy this year and that reference was questionable.

With the possible exception of Seattle, no offense disappointed more in 2004 than Jacksonville. QB Byron Leftwich had only three 300-yard games all year, and never more than 2 TD passes in a game. He was injured for a stretch, and for the year, threw only 15 TDs with 10 INTs. In week 16, the fantasy superbowl for most, he posted a 20.5 QB rating, ouch!

Perhaps tied to that was an anemic receiving corp. On paper Jimmy Smith had a decent year but was erratic and inconsistent. Highly touted rookies Reggie Williams (1st round pick) and Ernest Wilford were huge disappointments. Troy Edwards put in another year of fantasy irrelevancy showing that the Steelers were smart to dump the guy they wasted a 1st round pick on in 1999.

RB Fred Taylor was a bust. He started the season very slowly, only had a few 100-yard games, and didn't rush for a TD in the entire months of October or November! He redeemed himself somewhat with a huge performance against GB in week 15, but was then lost for the season with a knee injury, disappointing owners all across the country who needed him in weeks 16 and 17.

Sorry, but the hiring of a new OC and WR coach in Jacksonville doesn't excite me very much, or cause me to bump any players up in my rankings. Playing against the lackluster AFC North and NFC West offenses in 2005, I might consider the Jacksonville defense but that's about it. Or maybe if my kicker gets hurt next year I'd grab Josh Scobee.

;-)
Last edited by The Lung on Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:43 pm

You can't seriously expect a 2nd year QB to light it up when his primary weapons are two rookie WR's, and extremely past his prime Jimmy Smith and as you mentioned bust Troy Edwards. The TE position was unsettled all year as well due to injuries.

The point I am trying to make is this offense which was not great last season should make some very serious strides, as their players mature. I will avoid such terms as "juggernaut" in the future.

If you think a wide receiver coach is not all that important look at Tyke Tolbert now of Buffalo. Under his tutelage rookie Anquan Boldin put up 1377 and 8 TD's in 2003. He takes the same position in Buffalo and rookie Lee Evans puts up 843 and 9 TD's while the supremely talented Arizona receivers did nothing in 2004.

Steve Walters like Tolbert can obviously teach route running etc... to young players. He has been with the Titans since 1999 and turned udrafted free agent (QB?) Drew Bennett into a fantasy stud with his 1247 and 11 and developed 4th rounder Justin McCairens to the point the Jets gave up a 2nd rounder for him.

What these hirings tell me more than anything is Del Rio is committed to improvement on the offensive side of the ball, and I expect to see it in 2005.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby gatorman1122 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:27 pm

When hell freezes over :-o
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:36 pm

KC proved this year, that you need to hire the athletes as well as the coaches to truly upgrade. While these new coaching positions may be improvements, if Bryon, Reggie, Ernest, and Fred can't get their act together, it won't matter.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk