Plaxico. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Plaxico.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:14 pm

personally i think they should just stick with randel-el. he is a stud. him and ward might not be the biggest duo, but they are both smart, and talented receivers. out of those guys mentioned i think porter would be the best option. ive always thought he had the potential to be a top WR, but various things have held him back..maybe he just needs a change of scenery
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:34 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:
ljthockey wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:Jerry Porter would be a very nice fit in Pittsburgh. Or is it just me? :-?

Jerry Porter and Joey Porter ahh confusing.

I dont see the need of having to replace plax with a big name wideout just let Randel El take the starting spot.

With Big Ben, Randel El could be a bust like heinz ward. He didn't play enough last year to be considered as a starter IMO. Who knows, maybe he's like Freddie Mitchell. :-b

Heh, if Randle El is gonna be a bust just like Hines, then they sure won't need a replacement. ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:03 am

I think Porter would be a great fit in PIT. He would compliment Ward very well, as he is the bigger/big play type of guy where Ward (and Randel - El) are more possession receivers.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:01 am

I don't see the point in letting Plaxico walk, so they can pay the exact same amount of money to a similarly-valued and priced WR.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:14 pm

If they don't re-sign Plax (and I doubt they will) it is for cap reasons so they won't get Porter, Muhammed and they would have to trade a 2nd rounder (right now anyway) for Gardner. I don't see that happening. I think they'll just go with Ward and Randle-El and look for a bargain #3.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Cooner » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:23 pm

OwenTheBlonde wrote:If they don't re-sign Plax (and I doubt they will) it is for cap reasons so they won't get Porter, Muhammed and they would have to trade a 2nd rounder (right now anyway) for Gardner. I don't see that happening. I think they'll just go with Ward and Randle-El and look for a bargain #3.

this seems the most likely scenario to me, though I would like to see them grab a big receiver to go up and grab some balls at times (ie when Ben is scrambling and needs to heave one up). That said, I don't see them going for a big-ish money free agent like Porter. Patten is a nice suggestion... I'd be happy if they got him.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:27 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:How about David Patten? (if the Pats don't sign him) This guy is just like Plax, he's the kind of receiver that you can throw it deep to, and he won't cost the Steelers that much. I think he could fit perfectly with their offense. Just my opinion.

Patten and Randle El are about the same reciever. The Steelers would be better off just throwing Randle El in as a starter he has better speed. Tai Streets may be someone that the Steelers may look at they have a thing about signing ex Lions and making the best of it.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:10 pm

Everyone-
Notice that I said that he "could" be a bust, not that he "would" be a bust. I guess I should make that bold or something...
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:42 pm

Burress wants more than team can give
Chris Harlan, Times Sports
01/31/2005

Plaxico Burress is asking for more than the Pittsburgh Steelers can offer.

Sure, he wants money, but he also wants fame.

The unrestricted free agent wants the league-wide attention that comes with being an elite wide receiver. He wants to be revered as much as Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. Or maybe even Bengals receiver Chad Johnson.

He feels he's just as good. And he's more than ready to leave town to prove that.

In Burress' mind, the biggest difference between them and him is that they see more passes. A lot more passes. And, statistically, he's right.

Johnson had 180 passes thrown his direction this season, an average slightly more than 11 per game. Owens and Moss each averaged nine.

On average, Burress saw six passes during each of his 11 games. He said that's not enough to feel comfortable; a seemingly poor excuse for dropped passes until you see Johnson was once thrown 21 passes during a single game.

Following a Week 2 loss to Baltimore, Burress was already growing impatient. At that point he'd made three catches through two games.

"It gets frustrating," he said. "I can't look you in the face and tell you it doesn't. You keep telling yourself that you're this kind of player.

"But after a while, it (being overlooked) keeps going on and getting repetitive and repetitive. You've got to keep your spirits up and focus on what you want to accomplish. And who you are."

How was he supposed to achieve Owens-like numbers if he's getting a third less passes? The Steelers former first-round draft pick would seem to have a point.

But then consider how many passes Burress doesn't catch.

When he missed a touchdown pass during the AFC Championship Game, no one should have been surprised. Look statistically, and you'll see he'd been doing that all season.

Burress caught little more than half the passes thrown his direction, ranking him beneath most Pro Bowl receivers

He caught 35 of the 86 passes - 51.5 percent - leaving him well behind the completion percentages achieved by pass-catchers Owens, Torry Holt, Javon Walker, Muhsin Muhammad, Isaac Bruce and teammate Hines Ward. That's just naming a few.

Muhammad caught 57.4 percent.

Bruce caught 58.9 percent.

Owens caught 60.2 percent.

Walker caught 60.5 percent.

Holt caught 67.1 percent.

Ward caught 67.2 percent.

Not surprising, all six finished with more than 1,000 yards receiving.

What is surprising is that Moss, the player Burress is most often compared with, caught only 50 percent of his passes. So maybe there is a similarity after all.

Burress has acknowledged for months that this, his fifth season with the Steelers, would probably be his last. After the AFC Championship Game was the first time he used the word "probably" but he'd been saying the same thing for weeks.

In the days leading up to their first-round playoff game with the New York Jets, Burress said he was approaching the game like it was his last with the team.

"I have to, this is a business first," Burress said. "If I'm not wary of that, then I'm not telling the truth. I wouldn't be honest with myself. It may happen. There's a good chance I won't be back."

What are the odds he would return?

"I don't know," Burress said. "You've got to ask the guys upstairs."

Does he want to come back?

To that question Burress gave no answer and walked away. If he does return next season, his statistics won't improve much - something the lanky receiver surely knows.

The Steelers ran the football 63 percent of the time this season. And they'll try to do the same again next season. The team's wide-open passing attack left town with former coordinator Mike Mularkey.

So why not sign with the San Francisco 49ers? They'll give him millions. And, more importantly, they'll throw Burress the football 10 times a game.

He probably will. Or at least a pass-driven team like them.

Which is why the 27-year-old said his career with the Steelers was probably over. He'd been inching toward this decision all season. No one should be surprised.

Burress earned a base salary of $535,000 and a $600,000 bonus in this, the last year of his contract. He and his are surely preparing for a significant raise.

Randy Moss is playing under an eight-year, $75 million contract. Marvin Harrison recently signed a seven-year, $67-million contract.

The Steelers could always attach the team's lone "franchise" tag to Burress and force him to stay. But that would force the Steelers to pay him an average salary of the league's five highest-paid receivers.

And Burress, the second-best receiver on his own team, isn't worth that.

Teammate Ward earned $1.7 million this season, and he's hoping for a raise when his contract expires after next season.

If Burress does choose to stay, then he's given up on his dream of being an elite receiver. Because no matter how much money the Steelers offer, there will be someone else offering even more.

More passes and more fame.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ljthockey » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:48 pm

Yeah it looks like Burress is gone for sure. Wed like to welcome you Plax to Kansas City!! Which I feel would be a great fit for him.

Ok enough of my homerism I see Plax as selfish I do like Plax I have for a while but I dont see why you would want to leave such a succesful team then again I can see his argument on his talent being wasted.
[b][color=red]You have just read a Ljthockey© post[/color][/b]

ljthockey
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk