The age old question... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

The age old question...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Turnip » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:41 pm

I think people don't want to call tomatoes fruit because they aren't sweet like most fruit.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby goleafsgo96 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:32 pm

J2thez929 wrote:Its a fruit b/c it has seeds. Bottom line. People have putting it in the vegetable column and I dont know why

how about string beans? green beans? those are vegetables im pretty sure. sweetness is right about the fleshy protection, or at least thats what ive heard. sounds scientific enough.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:53 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:take it from a produce manager....its a fruit.

This is the guy i would trust.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:54 pm

Yep they are fruits. I'm with Mercer Boy...the only tomatoes I like eating are the small cherry tomatoes. Big tomato slices get all soggy and drip juice all over the place.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:55 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:Yep they are fruits. I'm with Mercer Boy...the only tomatoes I like eating are the small cherry tomatoes. Big tomato slices get all soggy and drip juice all over the place.

Yeah.

Tomatoes in burgers = :-t

Tomatoes in salads = ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:57 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Super Mario Bros. 2 claims it to be a vegetable (since it's one of the things you try to kill King Wart with - onion, tomato, turnip, radish...probably some others). But, as far as I know, it's technically classified as a fruit.

I don't like eating normal big tomato slices because I think the seed/juice is nasty. I like the little round ones they put in salads, though! ;-D

This is what i love about this site...Mercer pulls out a Super Mario Bros 2 reference....ya gotta love it!

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:12 pm

A lot of "vegetables" are actually fruits, like tomatoes, avacados, peppers, etc etc. It's amazing how dumb us americans can be.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:27 pm

Yes, we all know that tomatoes are technically fruits, but I like to classify fruits and vegetables based on their taste and what kind of meals they pop up in. That's why I'll always call tomatoes vegetables. Would you ever put tomatoes in a fruit salad? No. In a green salad? Yes. I'm also just as likely to put an apple on my burger as I am to take eat a tomato whole.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:45 am

A better question... what the heck is a potato? I've never seen potato seeds, but I always hear conflict about this. I would assume its a vegetable, but I believe the scientific definition is "tubular."

Delux, I'm looking at you, Mr. Produce. What the heck is it? And what the heck does "tubular" mean? And did I spell "tubular" right?

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:51 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:A better question... what the heck is a potato? I've never seen potato seeds, but I always hear conflict about this. I would assume its a vegetable, but I believe the scientific definition is "tubular."

Delux, I'm looking at you, Mr. Produce. What the heck is it? And what the heck does "tubular" mean? And did I spell "tubular" right?

I think you mean a "tuber." :-b

A swollen, fleshy, usually underground stem of a plant, such as the potato, bearing buds from which new plant shoots arise.

Tubular (which you spelled right in the following context) is something that looks like a cylinder or a way to say "Cool." ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk