Kittner... now a Bear. And the world keeps spinnin' - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kittner... now a Bear. And the world keeps spinnin'

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kittner... now a Bear. And the world keeps spinnin'

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:02 am

Didn't see this anywhere else... but its not really big fantasy news, is it" Unless you are in a league deeper than the Grand Canyon. But still...

Fanball.com wrote:Bears: Kittner becomes sixth quarterback
The News
The Bears signed veteran quarterback Kurt Kittner to a future/reserve contract on Saturday, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. Kittner will be assigned to NFL Europe. He joins Rex Grossman, Chad Hutchinson, Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, and Ryan Dinwiddie on the Bears' quarterback depth chart.
Our View
Kittner was cut by five teams in the last 11 months. He played under Bears' offensive coordinator Ron Turner at the University of Illinois, which probably explains why he is getting a shot in Chicago

Just how many QBs are Chicago going to sign? Give it a rest. Any Vikings fans wondering where this backup went? For now... you know. A couple of months? Back on the wire...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:30 am

I always thought Kurt Kittner's name sounded a lot like Kibbles and Bits. Dogfood. Which is pretty much all he's amounted to. Maybe for their next quarterback signing, they'll grab Akili Smith.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Kittner... now a Bear. And the world keeps spinnin'

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:42 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:Just how many QBs are Chicago going to sign? Give it a rest. Any Vikings fans wondering where this backup went? For now... you know. A couple of months? Back on the wire...

As many as it takes to find one that doesn't suck apparently. I still think they're looking in the wrong place. :-/

How long has it been since they had a "top-flight" QB? I mean, McMahon was decent, but I still don't think of him as a superstar. Harbaugh wasn't bad, but once again...I suppose I'd have to go back to the olden days to find a name that sounds regal. I just don't know if QB is a position they have excelled in for a while. Their defense has always been their calling card.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:05 am

Here's some scary Bears statistics to chew on...

No quarterback in Bears football history has passed for over 15,000 yards.

The Bears team record for most touchdown passes in a career is 137, held by Sid Luckman.

Only one quarterback, Jim Harbaugh, has completed more than 1,000 passes as a Bear.

Yeecch, I can name a bunch of guys currently playing in the NFL who have better numbers with their current teams than the all-time leaders for the Bears franchise.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:57 am

That's a great post, man. I guess this validates my suspicions! ;-D

Just for a point of reference - Kordell Stewart (who played for the Bears at one point ;-) ) has 14,746 career passing yards! 8-o

Trent Dilfer has 17,031 career passing yards... :-D

Of course, these guys didn't do it with only one team. But, if you're a starting QB and play with a team for 5-7 years, you should be able to hit that number.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:14 pm

Oh for Pete's sake, what posesses the Bears to sign this guy? Signing a lot of crappy QBs does not unfortunately add up to one decent QB. They need to get Grossman healed, decide on somebody for third-string, then go out and get a second string, either a decent veteran or somebody with potential.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:20 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:Oh for Pete's sake, what posesses the Bears to sign this guy? Signing a lot of crappy QBs does not unfortunately add up to one decent QB. They need to get Grossman healed, decide on somebody for third-string, then go out and get a second string, either a decent veteran or somebody with potential.

I don't think I could have said that any better.

The truth is, the Bears are cheap. No matter how close to that #1 pick we got and no matter how crappy our current QB was, I never see the Bears drafting a "Franchise" QB with a high pick and paying him the way other teams do now. Truth is though, the way the team is structured, I don't think we need Manning behind the line. Of course, I'm not saying I wouldn't take him, but a serviceable QB would be enough. You need the threat of a pass to be able to survive! You need to stay on offense more than three plays to give your defense some rest once in a while! You need to score more than three points a game! You need someone to keep the defense honest! Guys like Pennington, Hasselbeck, Kerry Collins etc. would be more than enough for Chicago. If Grossman turns out to be that, great, but the answer surely isn't going to be some sixth round draft pick who has been cut five times.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wiener Dogs » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:48 pm

I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but the Bears are in contract negotiations with Ryan Leaf. It looks as though the comeback has begun!
Wiener Dogs
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:37 pm

Wiener Dogs wrote:I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but the Bears are in contract negotiations with Ryan Leaf. It looks as though the comeback has begun!

You've gotta be joking, right?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:48 pm

Wiener Dogs wrote:I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but the Bears are in contract negotiations with Ryan Leaf. It looks as though the comeback has begun!

This had better be a joke or I'm jumping ship to any team around the league that will take me,with the exception of Green Bay of course.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk