Wanny? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Wanny?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Wanny?

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:38 am

Don't know if this has been posted, but according to ESPN.com, Dave Wannstedt is Pitt's new coach for 2005. I have a feeling this is really old news, but its news to me. What a riot... I feel sorry for Pitt.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Wanny?

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:44 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:Don't know if this has been posted, but according to ESPN.com, Dave Wannstedt is Pitt's new coach for 2005. I have a feeling this is really old news, but its news to me. What a riot... I feel sorry for Pitt.

Yeah, it's fairly old news. I don't know, Wanny's a pretty decent coach...

...for me to poop on :-b
Last edited by Dr. Duran Duran on Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:31 am

Figured as much... but I haven't been a prowler of College Sports for very long.

Anyways, Wanny is a great DEFENSIVE coach, no need to remind me (he was our DC for a couple of championship seasons, remember?). And Miami's defense was always steller, no matter how badly the offense stank (well, except for the running game when Ricky wasn't toking up...).

Since this is old news, I'll turn the topic around...

Why didn't Wanny go to a team to be a DC again, where he would no doubt thrive, and then maybe land a HC job again somewhere down the road? A HC job at a reputable college program is nothing to laugh at, mind you, but I figured he would want to stay in the big leagues. Wanny, at 52, isn't burnt out at the coaching position. And there are teams with defensive troubles who would no doubt pay top dollar for his past successes. Again, I may have missed all this the first time around, but even still...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kevinoc81 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:55 am

As a loyal Bear (saw him) and Irish (dreaded him) fan I remember being very nervous and biting my nails down to the skin when they were mentioning him as a candidate for the ND head coaching job. As long as he's not in South Bend or Chicago I don't care what happens to Wanny.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:50 pm

He originally turned the position down but when he and his wife thought it through they felt it was where they wanted to be. In the phone interview he gave during the Fiesta Bowl (Pitt was in that game...sort of) he made it sound like it was home.

I suspect he is hoping to duplicate the Pete Carroll magic (get booted from the NFL, win championships, be courted by the NFL again...).
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dave416 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:33 pm

Gunslinger wrote:He originally turned the position down but when he and his wife thought it through they felt it was where they wanted to be. In the phone interview he gave during the Fiesta Bowl (Pitt was in that game...sort of) he made it sound like it was home.

I suspect he is hoping to duplicate the Pete Carroll magic (get booted from the NFL, win championships, be courted by the NFL again...).

Where they wanted to be, or his only choice at this point?
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:28 pm

dave416 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:He originally turned the position down but when he and his wife thought it through they felt it was where they wanted to be. In the phone interview he gave during the Fiesta Bowl (Pitt was in that game...sort of) he made it sound like it was home.

Where they wanted to be, or his only choice at this point?

I don't know, it's probably a little of both.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:13 pm

Yeah he did the usual making the fans happy, but i feel sorry for them.

heh, NOT :-b }:-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to College Football