Superbowl winner? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Superbowl winner?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Turnip » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:31 pm

Patriots. Go AFC and plus I think they're the best team in the league and should win.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby fantasizing » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:33 pm

yeah, I agree. I don't think Dillon will be the difference. NE's masterfull defensive gameplan to shut down the Eagles passing attack is what the difference will be. Just like it was against the Colts, Rams, Steelers, etc.etc.etc........................
McNabb is going to be having nightmares on sunday night, monday night, etc.etc.etc.etc.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:22 am

DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:Why the eagles have no chance:

1. Tom Brady is better than he ever has been.

Donovan McNabb has been better than he ever has been. (Which is coincidently, better than Brady this whole year).

2. Corey Dillon

Brian Westbrook

3. The pats dismantled a better defense than the eagles (the steelers)

With a secondary that can't even compare to the Eagles #1 secondary, and a team that only had less points scored against them because the Eagles stopped playing after week 15.

4. The pats limited a better offense than the eagles to 3 points (the colts)

They were gift wrapped 7 turnovers in 2 games, but the Eagles don't turn the ball over hardly ever.

5. Did i mention corey dillon?

Mr. Dillon, meet Mr. Trotter. You boys play nice now.

It's ridiculous to think the Eagles have no chance. The Steelers may have had a better record, but only survived to meet the Pats thanks to Doug Brien choking... twice. The Pats dismantled a rookie QB, what a shocker, or they beat Manning in Foxoboro while it was snowing, another shocker. Don't get me wrong, they most certainly deserve to represent the AFC, but this isn't even close to the landslide difference between NE vs. CAR or STL vs. NE.

But if you really want, ignore everything the Eagles have done, while boasting NE's accomplishments. The superbowl will be a surprise for you, and hey you might enjoy it more that way.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby josebach » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:53 am

Personally, I think the Eagles are a better, more complete team than either the Colts or the Steelers and they definitely have a chance to win. Will they? Probably not. Then again, nobody thought the Pats would win three years ago either.

I personally feel that the Eagles and the Pats are the two best teams in the NFL. What more could you ask for in a Super Bowl?

Go Pats!!!
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:02 pm

I think New England does it. Maybe 27-17 or 27-20...

Or better yet, Vinatieri goes 3-3 in Super Bowl clinchers...
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:26 pm

Damn maddog i was gonna make almost the exact same post, so i think i will anyways!!

2. Corey Dillon

1. So is Donovan Mcnabb, and id say hes been just as good as Brady so far... maybe better!

2. Gimme Brian Westbrook. close, but ill take Westy.

3. The steelers D put up better numbers, but if you think they actually have a better D you dont watch football. That secondary was just waiting to be tested, and the pats tested it. Theyll have a waay tougher time with the eagles secondary.

4. True, but they did so in Foxborough. In weather that only Brady, FFavre, and a select few other QBs can play well in. apparently not Manning. I beleive Jacksonville should be quite a bit nicer for mcnabb than foxborough was for manning.

5. Yes you did.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:27 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:Damn maddog i was gonna make almost the exact same post, so i think i will anyways!!

2. Corey Dillon

1. So is Donovan Mcnabb, and id say hes been just as good as Brady so far... maybe better!

2. Gimme Brian Westbrook. close, but ill take Westy.

3. The steelers D put up better numbers, but if you think they actually have a better D you dont watch football. That secondary was just waiting to be tested, and the pats tested it. Theyll have a waay tougher time with the eagles secondary.

4. True, but they did so in Foxborough. In weather that only Brady, FFavre, and a select few other QBs can play well in. apparently not Manning. I beleive Jacksonville should be quite a bit nicer for mcnabb than foxborough was for manning.

5. Yes you did.

1. how many super bowls has McNabb played in again?

2. Westbrook is a better pass catcher (i think thats obvious) but he shouldnt even be an every down back. Its close, but Dillon takes it for his durability.

3. Didnt the Steelers shut down a healthy Terrell Owens? Didnt the Steelers beat the Eagles in Philly? Seems that Pittsburgh secondary was good enough to shut down the Eagles.

4. While the weather was a factor, the Colts were beat by a better game plan and better execution. The "Manning cant play in the snow" excuse is BS. If Tom Moore is such an offensive mastermind he should have devised a game plan that would work in the snow.

5. Ill touch on Azraels point here. To say that the Patriots are the same with Dillon because their record is the same as last year is ridiculous. I mean seriously, you dont actually believe that do you? Last year, nobody respected the Patriots rushing attack. This made it harder for Brady and the wide receivers. However, this year teams are forced to put 8 in the box just because Dillon is there. Its kind of like the Randy Moss deal. His presence opens up the rest of the players on the team. The Patriots are a much more balanced attack this year, and their offense is better for it.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:50 pm

Dillon allows NE to control the game more, which they absolutely needed this year w/ all their injuries in the secondary. He allowed the offense to stay on the field longer and kept those youngsters off the field in clutch situations.

I mean comeon, he could have had the rushing title had he not missed that PIT game, you cant say the team isnt better off w/o him. I think the Pats would have still been good if he weren't there, but they wouldnt have won as many games IMO.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:59 pm

1. how many super bowls has McNabb played in again?

How many did brady play in when he won the first time? hmm...

2. Westbrook is a better pass catcher (i think thats obvious) but he shouldnt even be an every down back. Its close, but Dillon takes it for his durability.

well westy has a great ypc number and missed three and ahalf games. he would have broken 1000 yards himself. and in pass catching, its no contest.

3. Didnt the Steelers shut down a healthy Terrell Owens? Didnt the Steelers beat the Eagles in Philly? Seems that Pittsburgh secondary was good enough to shut down the Eagles.

Well first of all, no, it wasn't in philly. second of all the eagles didn't have much access to westbrook (he had cracked ribs) and no trotter. pitt got up to a big lead. it happens. but a team can't ram it now like pitt did, so its moot.

4. While the weather was a factor, the Colts were beat by a better game plan and better execution. The "Manning cant play in the snow" excuse is BS. If Tom Moore is such an offensive mastermind he should have devised a game plan that would work in the snow.

perhaps you are right. but if that is your argument, bear in mind that reid won't have an idiotic game plan like dungy.

5. Ill touch on Azraels point here. To say that the Patriots are the same with Dillon because their record is the same as last year is ridiculous. I mean seriously, you dont actually believe that do you? Last year, nobody respected the Patriots rushing attack. This made it harder for Brady and the wide receivers. However, this year teams are forced to put 8 in the box just because Dillon is there. Its kind of like the Randy Moss deal. His presence opens up the rest of the players on the team. The Patriots are a much more balanced attack this year, and their offense is better for it.[/quote]

the pats are better with dillon at their healm, but they are better than last year's iteration. dillon doesn't make them heads and shoulder better than the eagles.

I'll add a few points of my own:

the pats had 6 meaningful turnovers in those games. they needed three (from a rookie qb) to win by 14. Turnovers are turnovers, and more power to the pats. but mcnabb ain't gift wrapping three this year.

people forget that the vikings were the number 2 aerial attack in the league, and culpepper outpassed manning in yards, and with moss would probably have rivaled/topped him. Eagles beat them rather handily twice. The eagles also stopped the number one rush attack in atlanta, and dismantled the NFC's most diverse offense, the Packers.

So to say that the pats O is definitely going to give them fits is a fallacy.

The eagles d is every bit as good as the pats -- the nfc may be weak, but the offenses in the nfc are still potent, and they got handled.

rooting for the eagles, think pats will win, but the eagles have more than just a "slim shot"

the facts don't support blowout -- the pats only blow people out with a lot of turnovers, the eagles don't fit the profile, and they have a stingy defense.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kevinoc81 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:16 pm

portisfan24 wrote:1. How many Super Bowls has McNabb played in?

How many Super Bowls was Tom Brady in before 2001? Zero. He won didn't he? Everyone has to be in their first Super Bowl some time.

portisfan24 wrote:3. Didnt the Steelers shut down a healthy Terrell Owens? Didnt the Steelers beat the Eagles in Philly? Seems that Pittsburgh secondary was good enough to shut down the Eagles.

Didn't the Patriots lose to the Steelers in week 8? Didn't the Patriots lose to the Dolphins in week 15? The regular season games really don't say the whole story. You can't use what one team did one week and apply that to every game. Every game is different. I mean, New England gave up 29 points to Miami and then held the Colts to three so obviously those examples don't work.

I hate this crap. I have said before and I will say again that I believe that the Patriots are the favorites and rightfully should be. This does not however, guarantee them victory. In Super Bowls which I care little about (like this one), I root for the underdog. I am rooting for Philly. What amazes me though, is how big of underdogs they are. More people think New England is going to kill the Eagles than people thought they were going to kill the Panthers last year. That was a pretty close game if I recall.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk