Superbowl winner? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Superbowl winner?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:42 pm

maddog60 wrote:
4. The pats limited a better offense than the eagles to 3 points (the colts)

They were gift wrapped 7 turnovers in 2 games, but the Eagles don't turn the ball over hardly ever.
I would hardly call any of those gift wrapped, rather, as previously stated, I think that NE schemed well for these two games and caused those turnovers. By the third quarter, Manning, the reigning NFL MVP, was shaking his head in frustration. I guarantee that there was no gifting intended on his part.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:42 pm

portisfan24 wrote:1. how many super bowls has McNabb played in again?

That's an unfair comparison. Why not just say Trent Dilfer is better than McNabb because he's played in more Super Bowls.

portisfan24 wrote:2. Westbrook is a better pass catcher (i think thats obvious) but he shouldnt even be an every down back. Its close, but Dillon takes it for his durability.

Is that why Dillon missed most of last season with an injury? Actually, I really don't think durability is the real issue here. Truth is, Westbrook is an every down back, and a very effective one at that. He didn't have over 1,500 total yards and nine touchdowns by accident. Westbrook pass-catches far better than anyone on the Patriots and that may come into play.

portisfan24 wrote:3. Didnt the Steelers shut down a healthy Terrell Owens? Didnt the Steelers beat the Eagles in Philly? Seems that Pittsburgh secondary was good enough to shut down the Eagles.

Didn't the Miami Dolphins pick off Tom Brady four times in week 15? Honestly, do you really think the Dolphins are better than the Patriots? Yes, the Steelers did shut down Terrell Owens for one week, but that doesn't mean much come Super Bowl Sunday.

portisfan24 wrote:4. While the weather was a factor, the Colts were beat by a better game plan and better execution. The "Manning cant play in the snow" excuse is BS. If Tom Moore is such an offensive mastermind he should have devised a game plan that would work in the snow.

Indeed, the Colts were beat by a better gameplan. The Patriots own the Colts. Moving on...

portisfan24 wrote:5. Ill touch on Azraels point here. To say that the Patriots are the same with Dillon because their record is the same as last year is ridiculous. I mean seriously, you dont actually believe that do you?

The Patriots aren't the same. They have a better running attack and a younger group in their defensive backfield.

portisfan24 wrote:Last year, nobody respected the Patriots rushing attack. This made it harder for Brady and the wide receivers. However, this year teams are forced to put 8 in the box just because Dillon is there. Its kind of like the Randy Moss deal. His presence opens up the rest of the players on the team. The Patriots are a much more balanced attack this year, and their offense is better for it.

I agree, the Patriots are a better team as a whole than they were last season when they didn't have Dillon. However, the Patriots haven't faced a defensive group as solid as the Eagles' in any Super Bowl they've been in. The Panthers were a close second and they only lost by three.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:51 pm

Pats in a walk
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:03 pm

Azrael wrote:
DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:Why the eagles have no chance:

2. Corey Dillon

Pfft. I'm so tired of hearing how Dillon makes the Patriots so much better. There was such a big deal made about how the Pats didn't have Dillon last time agains the Steelers and he would be the difference. Well, he didn't do sh#@. He was just about a non-factor against the Steelers. Other than his one TD run when the Steelers were basically deflated from giving up 2 first downs on penalties, he barely averaged 2 yards a carry.

Last year the Pats were 16-2 going into the super bowl without Dillon. This year they are 16-2 with Dillon. I don't see the difference. Belichick has basically proved that he really doesn't need any one particular player in general to win. So I don't think Dillon is really as much of a factor as people make him out to be.

The steelers are in my opinion the best run defense in the league. The eagles have improved by getting trotter back, but still are not up to the steelers standards.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:08 pm

well, they are giving up only 88 per game with him back -- so that stats don't entirely support the notion.

at any rate the steelers aren't THAT much better.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chaindog35 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:16 pm

i'm rooting for the eagles, but the pats are simply the better team
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:30 pm

chaindog35 wrote:i'm rooting for the eagles, but the pats are simply the better team

A lot of people said that about the Rams when the Patriots won their first Super Bowl.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:23 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
chaindog35 wrote:i'm rooting for the eagles, but the pats are simply the better team

A lot of people said that about the Rams when the Patriots won their first Super Bowl.

That's an unfair comparison. Why not just say Trent Dilfer is better than McNabb because he's played in more Super Bowls.

two quotes from you. In the second you are discrediting my evidence by using a past superbowl which has nothing to do with this one. Yet, in the first quote you use a past superbowl to support your own argument?
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:47 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

two quotes from you. In the second you are discrediting my evidence by using a past superbowl which has nothing to do with this one. Yet, in the first quote you use a past superbowl to support your own argument?

Your quote is totally subjective. Anyone can see that simply comparing a quarterbacks total number of Super Bowl appearances isn't an end all way to justify how much better he is.

My quote is based on fact supported by a legitmate outcome. When the Rams lost to the Patriots four years ago, hardly anyone gave New England a chance to win. The outcome of that game didn't support the Rams being heavily favored to win. I'm not saying that the Eagles will win, I'm simply saying that it's too early to say the Patriots are a better team when the game hasn't even been played yet.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:04 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:Damn maddog i was gonna make almost the exact same post, so i think i will anyways!!

DisgruntledJetsFan wrote:Why the eagles have no chance:

1. Tom Brady is better than he ever has been.

2. Corey Dillon

3. The pats dismantled a better defense than the eagles (the steelers)

4. The pats limited a better offense than the eagles to 3 points (the colts)

5. Did i mention corey dillon?

1. So is Donovan Mcnabb, and id say hes been just as good as Brady so far... maybe better!

2. Gimme Brian Westbrook. close, but ill take Westy.

3. The steelers D put up better numbers, but if you think they actually have a better D you dont watch football. That secondary was just waiting to be tested, and the pats tested it. Theyll have a waay tougher time with the eagles secondary.

4. True, but they did so in Foxborough. In weather that only Brady, FFavre, and a select few other QBs can play well in. apparently not Manning. I beleive Jacksonville should be quite a bit nicer for mcnabb than foxborough was for manning.

5. Yes you did.

First of all, I just want to say I will be routing for the eagles because I hate the Patriots more than any team in sports (besides the red sox). However, the Patriots are just unbelievable in the playoffs and I dont see them losing....

1. Tom Brady is a whole different player in the playoffs, as is evident by his perfect record. Donovan McNabb doesn't have any superbowls to his name, and it took him 4 tries to get past the NFC championship game.

2. To say that Brian Westbrook is better than Corey Dillon is absurd. Maybe he can catch the ball out of the backfield well, but Dillon had a tremendous year, around 1630 yards.

3. Steelers secondary is not that great with the exception of Troy Polamalu. The Eagles do have an incredible secondary, but just look at the steelers linebackers. Farrior, Porter, Bell, etc.

4. Peyton Manning is the best QB in the NFL. The pats somehow managed to completely shutdown the QB coming off the greatest season of all time.

- I would like to add that the eagles are at a disadvantage having come out of the NFC. I don't want to diminish their accomplishments, but the Falcons might not have made the playoffs if they were in the AFC, playing in a better division. The AFC is the true conference, and for the Patriots to have dominated throughout the playoffs is quite impressive.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk