Favre to retire? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre to retire?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Favre to retire?

Postby TTTBone » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:05 pm

THE NEWS

Packers' wide receiver Donald Driver said Tuesday that doesn't believe quarterback Brett Favre will return next season. "I don't think so," Driver told Sirius NFL Radio when asked if Favre will return for a 15th season. "Everyone has been asking me that question. He's a real close friend of mine and we've been talking back and forth, and I think he's pretty much going to hang 'em up." Packers' head coach Mike Sherman asked Favre last month to make a retirement decision before the free agency period begins in March.

OUR VIEW

We can't even imagine the Packers without No. 4 taking the snaps. The fantasy impact would be astounding, as the team does not have another signal caller waiting in the wings. It's worth noting that this story broke on the same day rumors surfaced that Emmitt Smith will retire and join a investment group that is trying to purchase the Vikings. Is it possible that Favre might also be an investor? Okay, there is absolutely no evidence to support that theory. If nothing else, we hope that our imaginary scenario helps Packer fans realize that things could be worse.

Oh man...
Favre as an owner of the Vikings?
Now that is funny. :-b
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:23 pm

I could realistically see the Packers moving way up in the draft to pick up Alex Smith now. If Favre retires, I think the Vikings will finally win the division next year!
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:26 pm

There should be some FA and tradable QBs available this offseason for them to look at.

Garcia, Brad Johnson, Kitna, Bledsoe, Warner and doubtfully Brees

Maybe they could sign Kurt Kittner :-b
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:30 pm

I really hope he doesn't retire, but I can totally respect his decision if he wants to hang 'em up. I don't really like the looks of any of those QBs in FA except for maybe Kitna. If he does retire QB definetly needs to be addressed in the draft.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:36 pm

A little more in-depth info:
By BOB WOLFLEY
mailto:bwolfley@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 1, 2005

Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver said in a radio interview this morning that he believes Packers quarterback Brett Favre will decide to retire and not play another season in the National Football League.
Advertisement

Driver made his comments on Sirius NFL Radio on "The Opening Drive" show with Dan Reeves and Chris Moore. Sirius is a satellite pay radio service.

Driver, who is in Jacksonville for a Super Bowl promotion, was asked if Favre will return to play next season.

"I don't think so," Driver said. "Everyone has been asking me that question. He's a real close friend of mine and we've been talking back and forth, and I think he's pretty much going to hang 'em up. I always told him, if you're coming back just because of that playoff game, don't show up. But it you're going to come back to try and win another Super Bowl, we'd love to have you."

The Minnesota Vikings defeated the Packers, 31-17, on Jan. 9 to send the Packers out of the playoffs this season.

Driver said he thinks Favre has made up his mind and said the Packers' request to know his intentions before the draft, April 23-24, forced Favre to decide on retirement.

"I think so," Driver said when asked whether Favre had made up his mind. "I think he was trying to wait until the draft, and I think coach Sherman wanted to know right before free agency because there are a couple of quarterback free agents that they want to look at if Brett decided not to come back. I think they forced him to make a decision. When you force one of the greatest quarterbacks in the NFL to make a decision, he's pretty much going to let you know that he maybe is just hanging 'em up."

After Driver's remarks the Packers released the following statement: "We are and have been in the same position since Brett's comments after the Minnesota playoff game. He has not informed the Green Bay Packers either way as to his plans for the ?05 season."

Favre, 35, has played for 14 seasons in the NFL, 13 for the Packers.

A more complete version of this story will appear online later today and in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in the morning.

Last edited by TTTBone on Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:37 pm

I agree. It won't be the same NFL without Favre. Hard to imagine him not being in there.

I hope he doesn't he is great to watch. But he has been in the league for quite awhile I can understand why he would.

As for a replacement, it seems there are quite a few people they could bring in. Bledsoe, Garcia, Brees, Rivers (i bet SD would love them taking his contract).

Would have a big impact on players such as Walker, Driver, and Ahman.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pdub » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:46 pm

christ that blows.

you could always watch a game that favre was in, no matter who they were playing or what was on the line.
pdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:52 pm

The way his last game went, I can't imagine him going out like that. Favre has too much pride to go out on such a down note. I can see him coming back for another season, but leaving with a better performance that the one he had against the Vikings.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:10 pm

See ya, Favre. The NFL is a vast void without you, but we'll have to manage. Congrats on a great career, and good luck with whatever you decide to do with your life.

I'd love to see this guy in the booth down the road...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:16 pm

This would be a bummer if true. And no, I am not being sarcastic when I say that as a Viking fan the Viking/Packer games simply would not be the same without him. It won't be as fun to beat the Packers if he is not the QB, and it won't be as entertaining when we lose to them, since most of our losses are last minute ones where he engineers some crazy drive at the end of the game that combines equal elements of his great talent and drive with favorable officials calls and just plain dumb luck. I truly hope he stays at least one more year. The possiblity truly exists that next years Viking/Packers games will not include Favre (retirement) and Moss (traded)! That is almost unthinkable. Talk about removing the excitement from a rivalry! I'm seriously depressed now......
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk