Now that Emmit is retiring, who is the greatest RB ever? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Now that Emmit is retiring, who is the greatest RB ever?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bagobonez » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:54 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Ok this thread is 6 pages long now, some please please mention O.J. I mean the guy could knife through people like no one ever has. O:-)

"allegedly" ;-D
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:14 pm

It's pretty funny. I actually read the 1st two pages of this thread for the first time today and then decided, ok, let's see how far this thread has deteriorated by the time I jump to page 6. And I see we've started to disagree between Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk's receiving stats. LOL.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:56 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Dude, c'mon, we all know the true answer to this mindbending question is Rashaan Salaam. :-?

sorry duran, you're way off - Tim Biakabatuka is the greatest of all time!

A-Train?
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:19 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Emmitt Smith. Most career rushing yards. Most career rushing TD's. 3 Super Bowl rings. 4 time NFL rushing champion. League MVP. Super Bowl MVP. 8 pro bowl selections.

All of this with limited size and limited speed.

I don't know what more the guy could have done to solidy himself as #1.

Part of being great is doing it for a long time. And while 9 seasons is still a pretty lengthy career, who knows if Jim Brown's production would have slipped had he kept on playing.

In my mind, the only running back who comes close to Emmitt is Walter Payton. Barry Sanders and Jim Brown aren't even close.

Barry and Jim aren't even close???? How can u possibly say that. Let me say this first, Emmitt is a good back no doubt. But, he majorly benifited from a GREAT offensive line and a passing attack to counter his runs.

Answer this, would Emmitt be the same back if he played for Detroit? What would Barry's and Jim's numbers be if they played longer.

Everyone gives credit to Emmitt's offensive line, but no credit to Emmitt himself. When EMmitt went to his first two pro-bowls, not ONE Cowboy offensive lineman was selected to the Pro-Bowl with him. Maybe, just maybe, Emmitt made his line look and play better. Even Nate Newton admitted that. And how come when Emmitt wasn't in the game, his backups didn't tear it up behind that offensive line?

People say "Barry never had the great offenses that Emmitt had". In 1995 Scott Mitchell had over 4,000 yards passing, over 30 TD's, both Herman Moore and Brett Perriman had over 100 receptions each, yet Barry never played for a good offense? Right. In 1997, Mitchell had over 3,000 yards passing, nearly 20 TD's and the Lions had two different 1,000 yard receivers. In 1998 the Lions had a 1,000 yard WR and a 900 yard WR.

In Emmitt's rookie year, Troy Aikman had 11 TDs and 18 INT's, yet Emmitt still made the pro bowl. None of his offensive linemen did. In 1991, Aikman somehow made the pro bowl with 11 TD's and 10 INT's, Emmitt also made the pro bowl, but none of his offensive linemen did.

Furthermore, Arizona had a total of ZERO players in the Pro Bowl this year, yet a 35 year old Emmitt Smith nearly got 1,000 yards and had 9 TD's.

But it was all just the offensive line.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:28 pm

HAhahahaha...i cant believe i just saw Scott Mitchells name in a post, this is getting out of hand.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:16 pm

mutantseabass wrote:HAhahahaha...i cant believe i just saw Scott Mitchells name in a post, this is getting out of hand.

Hell, lets' put Mitchell in the HOF, too. bagabonez talked me into it.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:43 pm

C'mon people....it HAS to be the self-proclaimed Ultra-Back Raymont Harris!I mean really,who else can claim they were THE Ultra-back!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:00 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:HAhahahaha...i cant believe i just saw Scott Mitchells name in a post, this is getting out of hand.

Hell, lets' put Mitchell in the HOF, too. bagabonez talked me into it.

only if he gets inducted before Irvin :-b

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk