Indian Giver. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Indian Giver.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Flux » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:42 am

I dont blame Culpepper for not wanting to give the kid his personalized stuff, but he should have definitely said something like "how about you watch these for me during my conference, and Ill get you some of your own ice later."

Even though this seems kind of shady right now, I have a feeling Culpepper will more than make up for this once he realizes he is getting negative press for it
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:54 am

I think we are jumping on my man, Cpepp, a little early. First of all Cpepp is very well known as one the most stand up guys in the league. Secondly, while I doubt the media will cover it, I think we would be wise to try to find out what he does give the kid in place of the bling before we get all hot and bothered. Let's avoid the knee-jerk reactions here. For example we all know what a jerk Moss is (tongue in cheek) but we rarely ever hear about things like this article I reprinted below as reported in the Minneapolis StarTribune a few days ago:

C.J.: Brad Madson sees a different Moss
C.J., Star Tribune
February 1, 2005 CJ0201

There's someone at Winter Park who really doesn't enjoy this Randy Moss trade-bait talk: Brad Madson, community relations guy.

"I would miss him, and so would a lot of economically and physically challenged kids," Madson said. "Randy and Matt Birk did the most community service on the team this year."

But I heard Moss tell ESPN that he wasn't listening to what Birk was saying about the receiver's two-second early exit from the Washington game.

"I saw it, too, but the day after we lost and everybody was saying their goodbyes, Randy was signing a jersey for Matt Birk's foundation," Madson said. "So it looked to me like they were getting along."

While many others find Moss so annoying that some fool in Madison, Wis., put up a billboard that said, "Zero Rings for Randy Moss -- PRICELESS," and out on the Web there's a fake ad for Charmin Ultra doing what he was doing near that Green Bay goal post, Madson has a shockingly different take on Randy.
"He makes my job easy because he comes up with the ideas to help kids," Madson said.

"He makes my job easy because he comes up with the ideas to help kids. Whether it's reading at pizza parties, giving away bikes or hosting a Christmas party with Matt and coach [Mike] Tice for 400 needy folks on the Monday before we played the Packers on Christmas Eve, Randy has been there."

Madson loves the thank-you letters they get from kids. "They say, I like to read more now. Thanks for coming to our school. And then in about a third of them they write, 'Who was the white dude with you?'

"I'm proud to stand by Randy and consider him a good friend."

In another defense of Moss, Sam Neumann of Chisago City, Minn., told Sporting News: "When Randy Moss 'moons' fans, we hear about it for weeks. But when he gives touchdown balls to handicapped children, we don't hear a peep. Funny how that works." Also in Sporting News, the Vikings owner got a mention in a blurb about Mr. Blackwell naming Serena Williams and Nicollet Sheridan to his 2004 Worst Dressed list. "When Mr. B gets around to his men's rankings, here are four words for him: Red McCombs in fur."
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:28 am

On Culpepper: I think he kind of got put on the spot here and I'm inclined to give him a break. I mean, here's this big presentation and he's suddenly called on to give some ice to a kid in a wheelchair. It would have been better for him to say"hold these for a while" or whatever, but he probably had to make a quick decision to avoid looking like a jerk.

On Moss: It's commendable he does some good things once in a while, but as long as he continues to act like a jerk in public that's the way he'll be regarded.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:15 pm

Daunte's always been regarded as a stand-up guy and one of the "good guys" in the league so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I think in no way did he intend to be a chump about it. I mean, being charitable is one thing but I don't think anyone in their right mind would have given someone their own personalized valuables.

Not even Mother Theresa would have given up that ice.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:32 pm

you know, that certainly wasn't the most sauve way to handle this.

However, I'd like to make a couple of observations -- the kids legs may not work, but his head does, and so does his families. Who expects a 75k gift from someone just because you asked and put them on the spot? Who allows their kid to be so rude as to put someone on the spot.

It is kind of a grey area, and these types of situations suck because both parties "understood" something different.

I think its weird that he and his family assumed it was a gift, rather than a loan -- and that just because culpepper could spare it, and because you had the audacity to ask, all of a sudden you just got a 75k gift.

He probably could have even said "hey man, this ice is sentimental to me, what would you like? playstation, xbox, disney world?" or whatever, and made the kids day. Or said "hey kid, you gotta earn the ice like I did -- you gonna be a vikings fan? then send him some jerseys and perhaps a more modest diamond necklace to wear on game day or something"

there are ways he could have handled it, but just because he handled it less than smoothly doesn't mean that the kid and his family weren't out of line to ask for it in the first place.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:42 pm

I don't think Cully did anything wrong, seriously you expect to just get two pimped out chains from some professional athlete just because you ask? He's generous to give you anything, much less 75k worth of his own personal jewelery.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:17 pm

nobody even commented on the thread title yet! I saw it and was like what the hell?!? :-b

Ya I dont really fault Daunte for that, and Im sure once he starts taking some heat for it he will probably do even better than some jewellry when he gets around to sending that kid something back.

On a different note, who asks someone for their jewellry? I cant say Ive ever thought of doing something like that.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:26 pm

awwchrist wrote:
"Where's that kid at? I've got to get my stuff back," Culpepper said.

Professional football player, 6'4" 250lbs prolly runs a 4.4 / 40 and he's worried about a teenager in a wheelchair losing him?

LOL, you amaze me aww...

I do think both Culpepper and the kid are at fault here. Unfortuantly for Culpepper, he's the one that will take most of the slack from the media.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:48 pm

I'm amazed culpepper would ask for it back. If he wanted it back, he should have told the kid that when he first gave it to him, becasue it's kinda odd for a football star to go up to a kid and say, "could I have that back". I'm sure he'll make it up, knowing how modest and good hearted he is. I say he'll give the kid a signed jersey, a signed football by the whole team, and his own bling bling. maybe a diamond necklace with the kids initals on it. I want to pretend to be paralyzed so I can get some bling from Dante Culpepper. }:-)
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:52 pm

I'm not saying C Pepps a bad guy. But there are about 1000000000000000000 different ways he could have handled that situation better... and he didn't.

As for Moss... oh boy... you really didn't just make him out to be the good guy, did you? Well, when Moss isn't pouting, or being lewd in public, or running down traffic cops... he helps children, and gives them TD footballs. That's commendable. But you know who ELSE did that? Michael Irvin. Would you say he's a "good guy?" I'm a Cowboys fan (duh), and I would have to vote "no."

Moss is a punk... And C Pepp... well I think he's a good guy, he just messed up.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk