Indian Giver. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Indian Giver.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:36 pm

Hey guys here is a great photo of the actual event. I think it is hilarius (sp?) the look on Mannings face as he eyes Daunte's bling!!! LOL. There has got to be some great captions for this photo, what do ya think guys! How about, "Hey Daunte do ya think if we melt that down we could maybe make us a couple of Super Bowl rings?"

Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:42 pm

Carolina Culpepper wrote:"Hey Daunte do ya think if we melt that down we could maybe make us a couple of Super Bowl rings?"

ouch... :-b ;-D

Has anyone found out anything regarding about the actual quotes used by Daunte, and the context of the situation? The whole thing seems rather sketchy to me...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:13 pm

Well my knee-jerk reaction is that I now question the reports of Culpepper being a good guy. It seems clear to me that the only reason that C-Pep gave him the ice was because he knew that it would be great for his image. But when it came right down to time to follow through his concerns were more for the bling he could replace quicker than a Vikes' playoff exit. So if he was doing it just to look good, why should we believe that all his other good deeds weren't just to pimp his image?

And the caption for the previous photo might read- Manning:"Is that ice fake, too Duante"?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Guttpuppy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:23 pm

Carolina Culpepper wrote:"Hey Daunte do ya think if we melt that down we could maybe make us a couple of Super Bowl rings?"

Heheh.

Daunte:Yoouu are getting sleeepyy,so sleeeepyyy.
Peyton:I'm cold.
Daunte:zzzzzzzzzzzz
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:40 pm

moochman wrote:Well my knee-jerk reaction is that I now question the reports of Culpepper being a good guy. It seems clear to me that the only reason that C-Pep gave him the ice was because he knew that it would be great for his image. But when it came right down to time to follow through his concerns were more for the bling he could replace quicker than a Vikes' playoff exit. So if he was doing it just to look good, why should we believe that all his other good deeds weren't just to pimp his image?

And the caption for the previous photo might read- Manning:"Is that ice fake, too Duante"?

Moocher, you're being awfully hard here. Let me plead for some mercy for Cpepp. I've read several reports on this, not just the one on the first post of this thread. From what I can see it was a very light-hearted situation. You can see it even in the picture of Manning and Payton. I think that Daunte thought that he and the kid were just joking around and he was having fun and all of the sudden the kid (or his parents) took it seriously and then Daunte was in a pickle (or a pepper as the case may be!). I honestly, as an admitted huge fan of CPepp but also a very close observer, do not believe he is that image conscious as your post would assume. He is actually one of the more self-depracating guys in the NFL. I can't begin to count the number of times after a Vikings loss that the defense was responsible for, Daunte in the post game press conference would be blaming himself. He truly is one of the NFL's more classy guys. I think a situation he thought was a playful joking became unexpectedly serious. Again, lets wait to judge until we see what he actually gives the kid. If indeed he ends up giving him nothing, or something very trivial I would be shocked but I also will be right there with you to express my displeasure.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:03 pm

Well just as I thought here is the REAL STORY, (this article is appearing in tomorrows Minneapolis Star Tribune) I'm really trying hard to with-hold a big I TOLD YOU SO!!!!.........DAunte is the man!!

Culpepper blindsided by erroneous reporting
February 4, 2005 SUPE0204.DIARY

JACKSONVILLE, FLA. -- This is what happens when there is too much media and not enough stories.

One of the NFL's most genuine and kind players carried out a genuinely kind act Wednesday. And what did Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper get for his thoughtfulness?

National scorn, thanks to an Associated Press reporter who misinterpreted the scene and never bothered to follow up with the key players.

Here's what happened: While participating in a news conference Wednesday, Culpepper fielded an awkward question from a paralyzed 17-year-old boy. "Hey Daunte," said J.T. Townsend. "Can I get some ice?" -- a reference to the $100,000, diamond-encrusted necklace around Culpepper's neck.

With cameras rolling, Culpepper walked over to Townsend and thrilled him by hanging the necklace around his neck. Later, Culpepper sought out Townsend and put the chain back on. At Culpepper's request, Townsend's parents wrote down his address and contact information. Culpepper promised to send him gifts and memorabilia.

We were standing at Culpepper's side when the transaction took place. There was no animosity, no hurt feelings and no accusations of impropriety -- only thank-yous from Townsend, his parents and a doctor nearby.

The AP version of the story, however, in essence painted Culpepper as a spoiled athlete who "sheepishly" took away a gift from a paralyzed teenager once the cameras stopped shooting. Newspapers and Internet sites picked up the story nationally. One problem: Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Anyone who has met Culpepper knows he wears the necklace every day. He has for years. Garish as it might be -- its main ornament is a 6-inch hot pepper -- it carries sentimental and personal value. Since when is anyone -- athlete, actor, politician or average schmoe -- obligated to hand over personal possessions permanently when someone asks? Or should Culpepper have shot down the request and embarrassed Townsend on television?

If that's your story, then the next time someone asks you for your wedding ring or a sweater your grandmother knitted, you better cough it up. Or else find some real news to write about.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5221966.html
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:15 pm

That's good news. Must be a pain in the butt to have your words constantly twisted into a story. I suppose that comes with fame.

I couldn't picture guys like Culpepper, Manning, or any other QB's really being bad guys. I've heard some bad stories about Dan Marino from Ricker...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:26 pm

Still have trouble with it. Nobody would have thought the less of him if he would have said he doesn't take his chains off but would hook him up with some leftover Moss Hammy-balm, Viking NFC playoff tickets(only used once), or whatever memorabilia he has in mind. It was a photo op that went awry, no matter how they spin it Indian-Pepper stills looks bad.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:29 am

Well, I hope it is that simple. C-Pepp does seem like a nice enough guy... this would be a smudge on his reputation.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jjigglers » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:51 pm

does anyone know the tax on a $75k gift? i'll bet you his family couldnt pay it.
jjigglers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk