Super Quiz - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Super Quiz

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Super Quiz

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:29 pm

Without looking, here I go...

1 How many ways are there to make change for a dollar bill? a... ton?
2 T or F – Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated? true
3 What is the only fish that can blink with both eyes? shark... maybe
4 Which hand does most of the typing? left
5 Two-thirds of the world’s eggplant is grown in what US state? ill go with Iowa, as I have no idea
6 All of the clocks in “Pulp Fiction” are stuck on what time? 4:20. Duhh....
7 Almonds are part of what fruit family? there are families WITHIN fruit too? are you sure you didn't screw that question up?
8 What is the only state whose name is just one syllable? Maine
9 Who were Sesame Street’s Bert and Ernie named after? The odd couple? maybe? some old show/movie i forgot or haven't seen
10 What are the only four words in the English language to end in “dous”? tremendous, stupendous, horrendous, and... damn
11 On a Canadian two-dollar bill, what country’s flag is flying over the Parliament building? everyone says its America's flag, but they are wrong. i'll provide a link later. but its a varitaion of the canadian royal flag.
12 What animal/creature is known for having the largest eyes in the world? giant squid
13 What occupation was on Al Capone’s business cards? furniture mover
14 T or F After the death of her husband, poet Percy Shelley, Mary Shelley (author of Frankenstein) kept his heart wrapped up in silk until she died. Why not? sure, true.
15 The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and Great Britain in 1896. How long did it last? 3 hours
16 T or F In 1994 Los Angeles police arrested a man for dressing as the Grim Reaper - complete with scythe - and standing outside the windows of old people's homes, staring in. true?
17 How many dimples are on a regulation golf ball?[/quote] 64? who knows

And that's it... I'll edit it to see how i did.

Edit #1 Huh... no answers posted yet. C'mon, pigs... answers...

But here is afore promised link...

(ahem) well, the link doesn't work... but go to http://www.cdnpapermoney.com , then scroll down to mid page and click on "Pages of Interest, American Flag on $2 Bill?"

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:11 pm

man everyone found out my strategy. and now I know that google isn't even always right.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:12 pm

mtryanks12 wrote:man everyone found out my strategy. and now I know that google isn't even always right.

strategy? or cheating? I'm going with cheating. Not only is it lame to cheat when it clearly says "no google," but it lowers your credibility with the rest of us. just don't do it.

no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mtryanks12 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:13 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:man everyone found out my strategy. and now I know that google isn't even always right.

strategy? or cheating? I'm going with cheating. Not only is it lame to cheat when it clearly says "no google," but it lowers your credibility with the rest of us. just don't do it.

i didn't see it say no google. let me check again.

EDIT: Okay fine you win. It didn't say no google, but it made an indirect reference to looking things up that I didn't notice. :-/
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:15 pm

Well, I suppose it does say "Without lookign too much up", which can be a verbal loophole for what is defined as "too much," but it was meant to be a funny test, not a competition.

no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MeShawn » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Still doesn't explain why you took credit the "ones you thought of". Maybe seem like nothing, but these little things define people.

You're losing respect from members becuase of events like this one. Maybe not the type of person we are looking for in the NFL's Finest league. We're looking for cool, good guys, not people who will cheat on a stupid little contest.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:56 am

mtryanks12 wrote:1) 293
2) true
3) shark
4) right hand
5) oregon
6) 9 o'clock
7) rose family
8) Maine
9) it's a wonderful life
10) stupendous, tremendous, horrendous, and hazardous. there are actually many more than four. these are the ones I thought of:
apodous
hazardous
horrendous
iodous
iridous
jeopardous
macropodous
molybdous
palladous
phyllocladous
podous
stupendous
tremendous
vanadous
11) american flag
12) atlantic giant squid
13) used furniture dealer
14) true
15) 45 minutes
16) true
17) normally 336, but can range from 300 to 500

Nice try (if you didn'ty google this list, than kudos to you). However, no gold star for this list. All answers are correct except 4, 5, 6, 7 and 15. Let's see who can knock off the final five answers.

Nevermind. Notice you did google. Several people did knock off questions that were wrong here. The shortest war did last 38 minutes. Kudos joshyboy. Almonds are from the peach family. The clocks in Pulp Fiction are set at 4:20.

That leaves just four and five. Obviously if "right hand" is wrong for the typing question, the answer is left hand -- which counts for 56% of the typing load.

So, the final question is which US State accounts for 2/3 of the world's eggplant production. Honestly, I thought this was the hardest question of the bunch. Many may be surprised with the answer.... Any more guesses?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Arlo » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:29 am

Ok, checked the almond question: they're closely related to peaches, but there's technically no peach family - they're both in the rose family.

Fun questions! I didn't know the answers to quite a few of these. (And yeah, I would have said 'peach family' myself. Oh well. !+) )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:49 am

Arlo wrote:Ok, checked the almond question: they're closely related to peaches, but there's technically no peach family - they're both in the rose family.

Fun questions! I didn't know the answers to quite a few of these. (And yeah, I would have said 'peach family' myself. Oh well. !+) )

Ha ... I used to be in the nursery business. Peaches are in the Prunus genus, as are Almonds (Flowering Almond is popular but it isn't the one that bears nuts). Also in Prunus are apricot, cherry, nectarine, and plum.
They are stone fruits. Yum yum ...
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:49 am

Warpigs wrote:
mtryanks12 wrote:1) 293
2) true
3) shark
4) right hand
5) oregon
6) 9 o'clock
7) rose family
8) Maine
9) it's a wonderful life
10) stupendous, tremendous, horrendous, and hazardous. there are actually many more than four. these are the ones I thought of:
apodous
hazardous
horrendous
iodous
iridous
jeopardous
macropodous
molybdous
palladous
phyllocladous
podous
stupendous
tremendous
vanadous
11) american flag
12) atlantic giant squid
13) used furniture dealer
14) true
15) 45 minutes
16) true
17) normally 336, but can range from 300 to 500

Nice try (if you didn'ty google this list, than kudos to you). However, no gold star for this list. All answers are correct except 4, 5, 6, 7 and 15. Let's see who can knock off the final five answers.

Nevermind. Notice you did google. Several people did knock off questions that were wrong here. The shortest war did last 38 minutes. Kudos joshyboy. Almonds are from the peach family. The clocks in Pulp Fiction are set at 4:20.

That leaves just four and five. Obviously if "right hand" is wrong for the typing question, the answer is left hand -- which counts for 56% of the typing load.

So, the final question is which US State accounts for 2/3 of the world's eggplant production. Honestly, I thought this was the hardest question of the bunch. Many may be surprised with the answer.... Any more guesses?

Interesting stuff Pigs..I found an article on eggplant and it suggests something else. Source http://www.foodreference.com/html/feggplant.html

EGGPLANT
Eggplant is a member of the nightshade family and is native to India. The early varieties were bitter, but cultivation and crossbreeding have greatly improved the flavor. Eggplant is related to potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers.
Eggplant isn't a particularly popular vegetable in the United States, but it's a favorite in many areas of the South. Thomas Jefferson, who experimented with many varieties of plants in his Virginia garden, is credited with introducing eggplant to North America.
In various parts of Europe, people suspected that eating eggplant caused madness, not to mention leprosy, cancer, and bad breath, which is why eggplant was used mostly for decoration in England and the United States nearly up to the 20th century.
CDC.gov - 5 a Day

The name eggplant was originally applied to a white skinned variety.

Eggplants are native to India, and India and the Far East are still its largest consumers.

Thomas Jefferson brought the first eggplants to the U.S.

Eggplants are actually fruits, and classified botanically as berries!

Asia accounts for some 78% of world eggplant production.

Turkey produces more eggplant than all of Europe combined.

Maybe this is not the case anymore...I have no idea on it. Maybe this source is flat out wrong, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I am stumped. If I had to guess something I would guess Florida.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk