Emmitt has retired! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Emmitt has retired!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:39 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Former LB, Brian Cox was on the radio this morning and was pretty crude towards Emmitt Smith announcing his retirement during Super Bowl week. He felt it was egotistical and inappropriate. I myself don't share his feelings on the matter, but how does the cafe feel about this?

I didnt like how he denied reports he was going to, and then did anyway. was he trying to make it some sort of surprise? Pretty lame if you ask me. Still a great player and a great career. This was the right time to step down.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:44 pm

classy. i hate seeing those great players in sports who stay in the game too long and tarnish brilliant careers. he had a great season for what it was, couldnt have been a better time to leave. congrats emmitt...on to the HOF.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:44 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Former LB, Brian Cox was on the radio this morning and was pretty crude towards Emmitt Smith announcing his retirement during Super Bowl week. He felt it was egotistical and inappropriate. I myself don't share his feelings on the matter, but how does the cafe feel about this?

I didnt like how he denied reports he was going to, and then did anyway. was he trying to make it some sort of surprise? Pretty lame if you ask me. Still a great player and a great career. This was the right time to step down.

Egotistical... what a pompous prick. Brian Cox is one to talk, badmouthing one of the most selfeless players in the game, and not to mention the leading rusher in HISTORY. Brian Cox can go straight to HELL. If he wanted to trash on Emmitt, fine. Wait a week. But the day of his retirement? What a dickhead.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:12 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:

Egotistical... what a pompous prick. Brian Cox is one to talk, badmouthing one of the most selfeless players in the game, and not to mention the leading rusher in HISTORY. Brian Cox can go straight to HELL. If he wanted to trash on Emmitt, fine. Wait a week. But the day of his retirement? What a dickhead.

Before I start, I really have nothing against Emmitt. I tohught he had a great career, retired at a good time, all that good stuff. But, to call him the most selfless player in the game, after the comments he made shortly before leaving the cowboys were despicable. The whole "diamond in the trash" deal wasnt very selfless if you ask me. I dont think it was a big deal he announced his retirement during the wekk of the SUper Bowl. No offense, but its not that big of news. Its not like hes Barry Sanders retiring at 30. Most people were expecting it. If this draws any attention away from the game I will be very surprised.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:55 pm

Good riddence, says I, should've retired years ago. His years in Arizona and his last in Dallas were a disgrace when contrasted by how great of a RB he was. It bothers me to think that the Cowboys will probably sign him so he can retire as a piece of rust in a trash heap. I would love it if Dallas just told him "Hey, we didn't want you two years ago, why would we now"? But in this suck-butt PR driven sports arena they will welcome back the man they so willingly discarded.
What's even worse is the thought of how soon he will be showing up on some pregame show to give us his unique(read: moronic) opinions while stroking his bloated ego.

Goodbye Clown, sincerely a devout Emmitt hater.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby joshyboy72 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:43 pm

Sad to see you go man. What a great career. :,-(

By the way...I haven't really seen the press conference or anything...but I did hear one thing...that he signed a 1 day contract with the Cowboys before he retired so he'd "end his career as a Cowboy." Did you guys all know about this? Kind of funny...like a 1 day, 1 dollar contract or something.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:32 am

I think Emmitt is a heck of a RB, probably one of the best of all time. But they way he handled his retirement the last two years in Zona, and this week is ridiculous in my opinion.

Being a hard ass to the media saying stuff like 'did you see me last year? do i look like i am ready to retire' Just contradicting the reports, and then today to retire. Just being mean to the media especially when it turns out to be true.

Stuff like that makes me want to say good riddence you looney.

Enjoy your retirement. Stay the heck off of my TV. I don't want to see you anymore.

I also agree with the bashing of him for the comment of 'i was a diamond surrounded by trash'...so much so the 'trash' decided to let him retire a Cowboy. If I am Jerry Jones (and thank God I am not) I tell him to kiss my butt.

Great back, but why act like such an a-hole?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Evolution » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:01 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:I think Emmitt is a heck of a RB, probably one of the best of all time. But they way he handled his retirement the last two years in Zona, and this week is ridiculous in my opinion.

Being a hard ass to the media saying stuff like 'did you see me last year? do i look like i am ready to retire' Just contradicting the reports, and then today to retire. Just being mean to the media especially when it turns out to be true.

Enjoy your retirement. Stay the heck off of my TV. I don't want to see you anymore.

I also agree with the bashing of him for the comment of 'i was a diamond surrounded by trash'...so much so the 'trash' decided to let him retire a Cowboy. If I am Jerry Jones (and thank God I am not) I tell him to kiss my butt.

This sums up my feelings towards the guy pretty well.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:24 am

Evolution wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:I think Emmitt is a heck of a RB, probably one of the best of all time. But they way he handled his retirement the last two years in Zona, and this week is ridiculous in my opinion.

This sums up my feelings towards the guy pretty well.

Trust me... I am not happy with that comment either, as it caused inner-turmoil between Emmitt and the fans that loved him so much. HOWEVER, Emmitt did have the right to be somewhat angry with his team when that happened. What happened, as I'm sure you know, is that Parcells wanted to move the team in a new direction, and he cut Emmitt. Flat out. Emmitt begged for him to reconsider, and to let him stay on at league minimum, but the Great Tuna was steadfast. 13 years or selfless sacrifice to Dallas, and getting the most rushing yards EVER, and he's cut, faster than Akili Smith on a practice squad. I'd be mad too. And we could have USED him still... if only as a coach. Parcells was just a damned stubborn fool. Now, I don't condone the comment he made either, but put the situation into context.

And as for him being (or acting) like an a-hole, well, here's an article from dallasnews.com ...

Dallasnews.com wrote:EMMITT CALLS A HANDOFF – FOR CHARITY

So you used to watch Emmitt Smith hoard all those touchdown balls and thought he was a sentimental collector, right?

Show me the money, baby.

But at least it's for a good cause. Smith has announced he will auction the ball he was carrying when he broke the career rushing record last year. He will, however, donate the proceeds to charity.

"This is just one way that I can continue to give back," Smith said in a statement. "I have always believed that I have a responsibility to make an impact beyond the football field."

ESPN.com reported that the bidding for the ball will be conducted Dec. 1-19 by auction house MastroNet.

Smith, as you may expect, already holds the record for a football sold at an auction. The ball he carried for his first touchdown sold for $24,922.

But, as the saying goes, records are made to be broken. The bid for the record-setting ball will open at $10,000.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:56 am

Good Bye Emmitt, should have done this a few years ago. Im suprised to see him go actually, i thought that he would pad his stats for a few more years. I never really liked him too much, im not saying the guy wasnt a great back, i think it was more of the Cowboys homers over the years that had such a man crush on the guy that made me dislike him. The Diamond in the rough statement was rediculous. Then again what NFL player has not said something completely rediculous. Emmitt was a complete back, one of the best ever. Have a good retirment Emmitt.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk