Music anybody - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Music anybody

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Nilmerf » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:30 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Nilmerf wrote:
South Park Cows wrote:Not saying that country is my favorite genre, that'll have to go to rap. And like CC said, that mainstream crap is well, crap.

That's true.. Immortal Technique is alright, but really nothing compares to early 90's hip-hop when they had intelligent lyrics and a good sound. Nowadays it's either one or the other, or more commonly.. neither.

Oh I totally agree. De La Soul, ATCQ, Jungle Brothers, Rakim & Eric B., BDP et al. is the best period of rap ever recorded. Then you got someone like Biggie who I listen to religiously, you'd be hardpressed to find a bigger BIG fan than yours truly.

Damn, you got some good tastes there. I was always a huge Biggie fan too, and always resented 2Pac because of it. My favourite near-perfect hip-hop albums:

Illmatic, Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders, Ready To Die, Do You Want More??!!?!, Illadelph Halflife, Reasonable Doubt, Paid In Full, The Infamous, 36 Chambers, and Liquid Swords.

Phew.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ravage » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:01 am

On any given day I could give you a different answer to this question but for today here are my answers.

I don't really like country but I do like Johnny Cash and for some odd reason Willie Nelson. If anyone can figure that one out let me know.

Mostly it's 70's rock with some alternative and heavier stuff.

REM
Aerosmith
Kinks
Alice In Chains
The Pixies
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Styx
John "Cougar" Mellenkamp
Eagles
Jane's Addiction
Jethro Tull
Tom Petty
Ramones

In no order except REM is #1.

Of course the classic stuff is hard to beat. Hendrix, Clapton Jefferson Airplane, etc.
ravage
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:36 am

Johnny Cash was the man! Easily my favorite country artist. Nice one, ravage.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:57 am

You guys must be older then me, I had heard about him, but I thought he was like Rock n' Roll or something, remember guys, I am only 13.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:31 am

Nilmerf wrote:I think the most underrated band ever, and my favourite band out of the USA would have to be the Allman Brothers.

I'm down with this ... great jam band and back in the alley blues artists. Listen to "Live at the Filmore" at least once a week.
TTTBone wrote:
Right now, I'm getting back into the original Brit-Pop (Faces, Who, Kinks, etc.).

Recently set up a wireless connection to my shop - loaded Limewire and in the last few weeks have downloaded about 800 songs. We sit around and think of old songs we liked. Some of my favorites so far have been Kinks (Lola), Animals (Don't Bring Me Down" and also all the stuff from Eric Burdon and War), old Tina Turner stuff (hot), Who stuff off of Quadrophenia and Who's Next, Iggy Pop off of Raw Power. The Band - Rag Mama Rag, etc.
Also the stuff off of the original Woodstock soundtrack smokes too as well as the old Johnny Winter stuff. Whooo ...

Guttpuppy wrote:I'm more of a fan of some types than others but can listen to anything except gospel or opera.

We gotta hook The Pup up with some Staples Singers music - thats some smokin gospel stuff.

;-D ;-D ;-D
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:04 am

I listen to alot of different styles of music, can stand rap but i am old. I like 80s music, grew up listening to it. Depends on my mood or what i am doing. Some of my faves include Phish, Bob Segar, Megadeth, Queensryche, Bob Marley, and Stevie Ray Vaughn. Most of the time all that gets played on my stereo is Laurie Berkner, anyone who has kids may know her.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CKY_ROX » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:14 am

Im a big fan of, i guessit ouwld be alternitive rock, wiht bands like CKY ( duh) Clutch and FuMachu. They all really pump me up, and are generally great music.
I do like some of the mainsstream rap ( Luda, other misc random songs). I dont even see how u can knock a genre of "mainstream rap" when there has to be some good artists, unless u clasify mainstream rap as "Bad rap" which is just stupid. I also listen to more underground rap, ( Artists like Brother Ali, Cage, Copywrite, Pep love, Ayentee) Which have "knowlagable lyrics that are put together wiht wicked flow.

Pretty much everythingn , except Country, Clasical and Hair metal.

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:15 am

CC, what do you think of eminem? Im curious because i agree with your pointting out Nelly, ja rule etc. arent rap, and you enjoy the poeple who put thoughts into thier music. I know eminem is considered in the "mainstream" but his stuff is wicked. i personally dont listen to any rap but his, because hes awesome. Ill listen to Dre too mainly becuase they do alot of songs together.

Other than that, im into rock and a bit of punk rock, which issnt mentioned alot around here, course im 17 so go figure ;-D
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:10 pm

Lushcrush wrote: Quadrophenia

This is an album that seems to keep itself in my rotation. I'll take a break from it for a while, and then start missing it again. With Quadrophenia, I can't just put it in for a few songs for a casual approach. It's brilliance is in the sum of its collective parts.
Lush, if you're a big Allman Brothers fan, you might like the band Government Mule if you haven't heard them already. Their guitarist/songwriter/singer Warren Hayes is unbelievable. He actually played (still does frequently) with The Allman Brothers. I'd venture to say he's the best slide guitarist out there right now. If you haven't checked them out, it's a must, considering your music taste. ;-D
I'm all over the board with my musical tastes. I'd say my musical tastes are similar to TTT and Cuna (TTT, your disc's are in the mail as I type B-) ). I've been trying to not be too smug about new artists. I've recently dug The Killers, Interpol, and am extremely pleased with my most recent new purchase (Dog's Die In Hot Cars). I'd say my all time favorite genre would be old brit pop. The Kinks are probably the most fun band I've ever listened to. If you've never heard Muswell Hillbilies, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's one of the most underrated albums I can think of, and it can appeal to so many different musical tastes. The Rolling Stones will always be close to my heart. It's sort of a family thing that I was born into (like Duke Basketball). I can still remember listening to Let It Bleed on my Dad's record player as a small child in underoos. Currently in my rotation, I have Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream", Blind Melon "Nico", Elliott Smith "Figure 8", Bright Eyes "Fevers and Mirrors", Pavement "Slanted & Enchanted", and Violent Femmes "self titled" (another one of the most fun albums). Ok,.....I could go on but realized that this is starting to rival War and Peace :-°
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby DUKE » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:18 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Listen to Industrial Revolution by Immortal Technique or The Ugly Truth by Louis Logic

Cheesehead, I'm thinking of trying out one of these artists. Which one should I start with? I don't listen to a lot of rap, but have some of the older classics (EZ,DMC,NWA etc.) I wouldn't mind hearing some of what you mentioned here.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk