Music anybody - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Music anybody

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:13 pm

I like 70's and 80's rock, mostly because of the writing. I write songs as a hobby, and can appreciate what makes a good song. The songs these days aren't that good. They don't write 'em like that anymore...

My favorite bands are: Led Zeppelin, Mötley Crüe, Metallica, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. RHCP is one of the few modern bands I listen to. Others include Saliva, Rob Zombie, and a perfect circle.

And if you wanna hear some really good modern song writing, pick up a perfect circle's CD Thirteenth Step. They have some good songs. They also have a anti-war CD called eMOTIVE, with strictly covers. They have an UNBELIEVABLE cover of John Lennon's Imagine.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:24 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:People that knock on rap just listen to the mainstream pop shee. Nelly, Ja Rule, and Ludacris are not rap. You need to listen to artists that actually put thought into their lyrics before you can say that rap is crappy.

Listen to Industrial Revolution by Immortal Technique or The Ugly Truth by Louis Logic and then tell rap sucks.

It's just ignorant to knock on a total genre.

(BTW, as you might have guessed I only listen to rap basically)

yeah, the old rap actually has some thought and sense into it, and it really good.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nilmerf » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:28 pm

Lushcrush wrote:I'm down with this ... great jam band and back in the alley blues artists. Listen to "Live at the Filmore" at least once a week.

Right on, that's definitely one of my favourite albums. My favourite Allman songs are "Whipping Post", and "Melissa" from Eat a Peach. "Jessica" is probably the best instrumental of all time too, I nearly faint when the guitar kicks in at about the 3:40 mark. I also share the same birthday as Duane, rest his soul! Their comeback work was surprisingly good, "No One To Run With" especially.
CKY_ROX wrote:I dont even see how u can knock a genre of "mainstream rap" when there has to be some good artists, unless u clasify mainstream rap as "Bad rap" which is just stupid.

It really is that bad. The only good mainstream artist right now is Nas, his newest double album Street's Disciple is amazing. Goleafsgo mentioned Eminem, and he had some creative stuff in the past but his latest album is absolutely terrible. Other artists that were underground and turned mainstream like Talib Kweli, The Roots, and Common Sense are good too.
DUKE wrote:Cheesehead, I'm thinking of trying out one of these artists. Which one should I start with? I don't listen to a lot of rap, but have some of the older classics (EZ,DMC,NWA etc.) I wouldn't mind hearing some of what you mentioned here.

If you haven't listened to much rap, you definitely do not have to delve as deep as Immortal Technique or Louis Logic. Those guys are only if you've heard all the old classics and are desperate for new stuff. Listen to "What They Do" and "The Next Movement" by The Roots then report back! The Roots are my personal favourite, and the only hip-hop band that plays their own instruments.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:54 pm

I agree Eminems new album wasnt that good, but Curtains Down is just a wicked song. Its the last one on the album, and its awesome. I also like Toy soldiers becuase i really like that whole Eminem Ja Rule mess. The rest is weak. And yah, i mostly like Eminem for his past songs, "Till I Collapse" and "Go To Sleep" being some of my favs.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LT Blue Colt » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:31 pm

Music is such a huge part of our lives. I don't think I could live without it. I'm one of those people that when I listen to something, I just can't listen to it if you know what I mean. No, I don't jump up and get my groove on, but if it's good, then the foot starts stomping, or the hands start clapping, the guitar gets it work cut out of it, the airways start singing, and my soul can feel it from head to toe. That's when I know what I like! ;-D

And reading everybody's other posts, I'm pretty happy. A lot of those bands you all mentioned I've never heard of. Which is cool, because then I know there's that much more decent music out there that I haven't heard yet. :-)

But, the one band, that with every song, makes me feel that way, no matter when or where I hear it is, AC/DC. :-) Long live Angus, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff, and Phil. And let's never forget, long live Bon.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:14 pm

DUKE wrote:I'd say my all time favorite genre would be old brit pop. The Kinks are probably the most fun band I've ever listened to. If you've never heard Muswell Hillbilies, do yourself a favor and check it out. It's one of the most underrated albums I can think of, and it can appeal to so many different musical tastes.

I definitely agree there - that album is fantasic. ;-D

DUKE wrote:Currently in my rotation, I have Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream", Blind Melon "Nico", Elliott Smith "Figure 8", Bright Eyes "Fevers and Mirrors", Pavement "Slanted & Enchanted", and Violent Femmes "self titled" (another one of the most fun albums). Ok,.....I could go on but realized that this is starting to rival War and Peace :-°

Lot's of good stuff in there. Smashing Pumpkins are the band that got me interested in music more than ten years ago. Blind Melon is underrated - very good stuff. Elliott Smith has been heavy in my rotation since... probably "Either Or", which is still my favorite Smith album. Bright Eyes is another good band - I was a little late getting into 'em, as "Lifted" was the first I'd heard of 'em, but have enjoyed Oberst's other stuff too. I went to Best-Buy earlier last week to pick up "I'm Wide Awake", but it was sold out. ...it's good to see some people are listening to their stuff - although it sucked having to go back another time for it. Still a little nervous to 'deaf-buy' "Digital Ash". Pavement and Violent Femmes = ;-D .

My rotation for the moment looks a 'lil like this... Bright Eyes "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning", The Libertines "Up the Bracket", Maktub "Khronos", Modest Mouse "The Moon & Antarctica", Matthew Sweet "Girlfriend", Paul Weller "Wild Wood", and Whiskeytown "Pneumonia". Also a lot of Morphine's "Yes" - 'Honey White' is just a damn catchy song, methinks.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TTTBone » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:05 pm

Canacuna wrote: Paul Weller "Wild Wood"

Uh-huh, another Weller fan, methinks you just moved up a couple notches in Homeless' book.
Canacuna wrote:Also a lot of Morphine's "Yes" - 'Honey White' is just a damn catchy song, methinks.

Nice... "If I am guilty... so are you... it was March 4th 1982..." :-b ;-D

And... I guess I'll have to pick up Digital Ash. Companion piece and all that. Got Wide Awake yesterday. Most excellent.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:10 pm

LT Blue Colt wrote:But, the one band, that with every song, makes me feel that way, no matter when or where I hear it is, AC/DC. :-) Long live Angus, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff, and Phil. And let's never forget, long live Bon.

Well, I really liked your post up until that point. There are only TWO bands that make me turn the radio station when I hear them come on. Those two bands are: AC/DC, and Rush.

I hate them both, and pretty much for the same reason, the vocalist. So obnoxious, both of them. Geddy Lee is way to high pitched to be a man, and whoever the lead singer for AC/DC is(sorry to sound arrogant, but it slipped my mind) is just to high pitched and raspy.

I respect both bands tremendously. They influence many people, and are great musicians. But I personally don't like them.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:21 pm

Uh oh...you probably angered a few people on that one - especially most of the Canucks. I do agree that most people either love or hate Rush, but I love them. I also know the reason most people don't like them is because of the vocals. But you can't deny that the music/percussion is some of the best stuff that's ever been done.

If you think about it, Geddy's really not all that different than a lot of vocalists. How many singers have bass voices? Every time I think about deep voice singers I think of Barry White and that dude from the Crash Test Dummies. :-)

Anyway, there sure as heck aren't as many of them as tenor voices. Almost all the hair band metal guys had high voices. Vince Neil was talked about in another thread. His voice is pretty high and shrill sounding for the most part, and he's cool...but Geddy is gay? :-?

I just never liked that argument, so I wanted to chime in.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:34 pm

From the Pavement song Stereo...
What about the voice of Geddy Lee?

How did it get so high?

I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy.

(I know him and he does.)

And you're my fact-checking cuz'.
:-b
Last edited by TTTBone on Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk